Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe ancient alien theory
Yes 70 38.46%
No 87 47.80%
Other 25 13.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,543,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I posted a link that debunked claims.

You said you wanted it in my own words, but you can't even put what the ancient alien claims are in your own words. I even offered you an out, where you could post a link to the ancient alien claims...but it is hard to tackle claims if you refuse to issue any claims.

I am not going to debunk an infinite amount of claims. Why can't you post some specific claims? You are the one proposing an outrageous theory that requires great evidence.

I think you realize that baalbek ancient alien claims were pure nonsense - hence the game you play. So if you would like to, how about you pick the best evidence for ancient aliens and the specific evidence for it and I will try to produce evidence against it.
you don't even know what Baalbek is. Now go ahead and look it up and find out what the controversy is, so you can tell me how it's debunked. Or just go away, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
So...tens of thousands of ancient carvings and you can find a single one that could look like a helicopter. I saw a cloud the other day that looked like a helicopter...it doesn't mean it was a helicopter.

No. It is true. Ancient Aliens straight up distorts, lies and tells half truths.
Abydos carvings
They look like flying machines
That is not even the controversy, you can read about it at the link.

Ancient Technology - The Top Ten

This link will also fill you in on Baalbek

Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 PM

26,346 posts, read 14,957,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
you don't even know what Baalbek is. Now go ahead and look it up and find out what the controversy is, so you can tell me how it's debunked. Or just go away, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.
So you still refuse to put baalbek into your own words? Then you must be fine with this rebuttal not in my own words: Baalbek | Ancient Aliens Debunked

The same link from before.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 PM

688 posts, read 651,214 times
I believe that it's possible that aliens exist. I also believe that it's possible that they have, or will, visit the Earth at some point. But, I don't believe any of the "evidence" that's currently being used to try and convince me that they do exist or have actually visited.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 PM

26,346 posts, read 14,957,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Abydos carvings
They look like flying machines
That is not even the controversy, you can read about it at the link.

Ancient Technology - The Top Ten

This link will also fill you in on Baalbek
For starters, the picture you are showing is often manipulated to appear more like a helicopter than it is.

Second of all it is a palimpsest. More than one carving over the years over top of one another.

"Helicopter Hieroglyph" Explained!

UFO's in Ancient Art Debunked 2 (Egyptian art) - YouTube

So of thousands and thousands of individual Egyptian carvings, one area looks like it "could" be a helicopter is good enough proof for you, despite it also looking like known symbols carved over top of each other??? No mention of flying craft in Egyptian literature. No artifacts found in Egypt suggesting the technology to fly or even materials to fly. Occam's razor.

I asked for the best evidence you had...and this is what you brought me LOL....seems like we are both wasting our time.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,323,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I believe in God because I find the alternative ridiculous. I find the idea of there being no God similar to coming upon a cabin in the wilderness and because you don't have any proof of construction workers around, you assume that the cabin just randomly came together on its own. Of course, the fundamentalist view of the the gray bearded man in the sky is equally absurd. I have no doubt that evolution is factual, but the idea that life started and evolved into sentient beings who produce art, music, philosophy, and literature seems far fetched to me without some sort of guiding creative principle or impulse. And whatever that impulse is, I call it God.
I am not a believer (though I have been at times in my life) but I completely understand this statement. In fact, I think it is quite beautifully stated.

I may not agree that, for me personally, the diversity of life, the wonders of the cosmos, the mysteries of reality itself are necessarily "evidence" that there is a creator, but I can definitely understand pondering all those things and concluding that there must be some kind of creative force behind it all.

For now, we just don't know.

As for the ancient alien theories, in an infinite universe, I accept there are countless possibilities as to how life, on the most fundamental level, began on this planet. This is one possibility.

Do I give it much credence?

No.

However, I have to give it a slight edge over the "creation by an invisible diety" proposal for these reasons:

1. We KNOW life exists. We do not know if life exists on other planets yet, but we know that life, at least on Earth as we know it, does exist.

Therefore, it is not completely baseless or nonsensical to extrapolate from that knowledge that there may be life elsewhere in the universe and that it is possible somehow some elements of the basis of living matter found its way to early Earth as if planting seeds.

I think it is even less likely that actual civilizations visited humankind in the distant past and genetically engineered us or gave us secret knowledge, etc.

But again, who knows? I think most of this stuff is pure speculation and wishful thinking along with some very narrow and often biased interpretations of certain artifacts and legends and so on. It's fun and can be interesting, but again I don't give it much credence.

2. We do NOT know if a god, or many gods, or a creator, or many creators exist. There is no other evidence for them than "Why are we here?" Where did we come from?" What a strange planet. What a huge universe. We must have been created, like everythning else we can see, by something bigger than us."

Again, I can sure see why someone would consider that "evidence." But it really isn't. It's still just a feeling based on nothing tangible or observable or measurable by science.

That doesn't mean it's wrong though!

Nobody knows.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,323,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I believe that it's possible that aliens exist. I also believe that it's possible that they have, or will, visit the Earth at some point. But, I don't believe any of the "evidence" that's currently being used to try and convince me that they do exist or have actually visited.
Well said.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,356,396 times
Quote:
How do you know that they are helicopters and jets in ancient art? I think your imagination has run wild.

Tolima “Fighter Jets” | Ancient Aliens Debunked
That was some debunking and agree with their logic it beats the conjecture of AA of trying to find something that is not there. I wish I had time to really study this closer but old man winter is around the corner and then I will have something to do

Old 09-28-2013, 10:31 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,909,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesFinest View Post
Indeed everyone dies. The answer I always get when asking people if god exists then explaining what happened to my cousin is that it was "gods will"...really? Seriously? I mean that's just screwed up and certainly doesn't make me want to worship or believe in him anymore..makes me hate him even more.
Better answer is we will know when we get there.....I to have always found that to be confusing.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
For starters, the picture you are showing is often manipulated to appear more like a helicopter than it is.

Second of all it is a palimpsest. More than one carving over the years over top of one another.

"Helicopter Hieroglyph" Explained!

UFO's in Ancient Art Debunked 2 (Egyptian art) - YouTube

So of thousands and thousands of individual Egyptian carvings, one area looks like it "could" be a helicopter is good enough proof for you, despite it also looking like known symbols carved over top of each other??? No mention of flying craft in Egyptian literature. No artifacts found in Egypt suggesting the technology to fly or even materials to fly. Occam's razor.

I asked for the best evidence you had...and this is what you brought me LOL....seems like we are both wasting our time.
F for effort, you are trying so hard I almost feel sorry for you. The plastering over theory has been debunked. It cannot be duplicated therefore the theory is false.

The re-carving theory is also coming under scrutiny and recent practical experiments cannot duplicate the effect described by the experts. Lastly, some researchers believe that the layout of the items has a strong and accurate relationship with the Golden Section concept. Their point becomes quite interesting when they say that the coincidence that original carvings could be covered and re-carved and then still align to a set of perfect measurements is simply unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal