U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 PM

2,566 posts, read 5,266,202 times

Advertisements

Suffocation is another one of the common symptom of sleep paralysis.

As mentioned before, your sleep patterns are overlapping, and you have some cells telling your brain to wake up, and others telling your brain to stay asleep.

In a sleep paralysis episode, your breathing functions often remain in their "sleep" mode, meaning that you cannot manually control your breathing, so you're unable to take a deep breath if you attempt to. You aren't really suffocating of course, but the inability to take a deep breath, combined with the fact that your natural breathes in REM sleep are pretty shallow, leads to a feeling of suffocation.

That also combines with the aforementioned fact that your brain's threat assessment systems are in overdrive, and many people get the strong feeling that there is someone else in the room that wants to or is strangling/suffocating them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:03 PM

542 posts, read 660,817 times
I started having more detailed SP episodes last summer. When I was younger, I used to have these instances when I'd wake up - being asleep on my stomach - and have the feeling that someone was in the room standing next to my bed. But I was always too exhausted to turn and look (now I know I was actually paralyzed, but I thought it was just because I was sleepy).

Then I've been having worse ones, always when sleeping on my back, even though I try not to. The first time, I woke up and heard that it was raining, and there were shadows on the walls of the tree branches moving outside my window - although it wasn't raining, and there's no tree outside my window. It seemed to last a long time, and it was the first time I realized that I was paralyzed. I've also woken to a woman at the foot of my bed, another woman whose features and figure were hidden in darkness but had red glowing eyes (that was the worst one), and just recently a man in my room. Luckily that only lasted a few seconds before really I woke up. I've considered sleeping with the lights on, but I'm not sure if it would make the hallucination scarier or not because they would be clearer in light.

I've never felt that there was a supernatural element to it - I'd known about the theory of sleep paralysis before I had the experiences - but I wish I knew why the scarier experiences started happening within the last year.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,467,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I started having more detailed SP episodes last summer. When I was younger, I used to have these instances when I'd wake up - being asleep on my stomach - and have the feeling that someone was in the room standing next to my bed. But I was always too exhausted to turn and look (now I know I was actually paralyzed, but I thought it was just because I was sleepy).

Then I've been having worse ones, always when sleeping on my back, even though I try not to. The first time, I woke up and heard that it was raining, and there were shadows on the walls of the tree branches moving outside my window - although it wasn't raining, and there's no tree outside my window. It seemed to last a long time, and it was the first time I realized that I was paralyzed. I've also woken to a woman at the foot of my bed, another woman whose features and figure were hidden in darkness but had red glowing eyes (that was the worst one), and just recently a man in my room. Luckily that only lasted a few seconds before really I woke up. I've considered sleeping with the lights on, but I'm not sure if it would make the hallucination scarier or not because they would be clearer in light.

I've never felt that there was a supernatural element to it - I'd known about the theory of sleep paralysis before I had the experiences - but I wish I knew why the scarier experiences started happening within the last year.
I just have experiences I can't open my eyelids but I'm awake.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,402,226 times
Aloha

In Hawai'i we refer to the event as "chocking ghosts" It believed that it only happens to those who disbelieve in obake(ghost) or make light the supernatural of Hawai'i.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,467,057 times
Usually my dreams have clear "scenes" where I visualize what is happening, and the dreams appear like a movie with crazy scenes that don't make sense, but the last time I had sleep paralysis I clearly remember no images in my dream, like a movie reel that breaks and just random colors flash on the screen, and I remember thinking, is this how death is, and I had to really concentrate to wake up and it was a huge relief when I did in fact wake up and realize I was still alive.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM

6,317 posts, read 1,010,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
same thing happened to me, and i prayed,,, and then i could breathe,,,as i woke up i realized i was sweating...

scared the hell out of me,,,i remember clearly,,,not being able to breathe and arms/legs would not move,,
Well, I am almost sure, that you and I experienced a demon on us, and it vanished when we prayed. I really still believe this, and I certainly believe in a spiritual world with angels and demons, so it seems this is certainly what it was. Many people try to explain it away with science, but I still think it is demonic. Spiritually, in my life, I had just had victory over some strongholds / addictions that I was praying about when this happened...

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 696,395 times
The spiritual world remains more real than this one. It was, after all, here first. It's a matter of perception, experience and willing ignorance: just because someone has never experienced any part of the other side YET, many choose to claim that it's not there. Think Ostrich... or like a fish in the bottom of the ocean hearing of a mystery world without water. Those doubters will change their minds at some point in time, or perhaps after time itself stops. Spiritual warfare may sound like some hollywood movie, but it plays a big part in the lives of thousands, daily. *thanks guys, now I'm thinking about some of my responsibilities along those lines...oh well. Hope you all have a good day!*

Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,060 times
Yes I get it at least once a week, sometimes 6 or 7 times in one night. At first it was one of the scariest things that had ever happened but now I enjoy it. I see it as my own horror movie that I get to star in and come out of it unharmed. How many people can say they've witnessed that

Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 696,395 times
Once you're able to remind yourself at the onset, that "oh, this again, been here before and I wont be really hurt" it takes much of the terror out of it, though it's still not pleasant.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,758,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
The spiritual world remains more real than this one. It was, after all, here first. It's a matter of perception, experience and willing ignorance: just because someone has never experienced any part of the other side YET, many choose to claim that it's not there. Think Ostrich... or like a fish in the bottom of the ocean hearing of a mystery world without water. Those doubters will change their minds at some point in time, or perhaps after time itself stops. Spiritual warfare may sound like some hollywood movie, but it plays a big part in the lives of thousands, daily. *thanks guys, now I'm thinking about some of my responsibilities along those lines...oh well. Hope you all have a good day!*
Always been a bit of a skeptic myself but I think this is nicely written.

"...or like a fish in the bottom of the ocean hearing of a mystery world without water."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal