Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,425 times

Advertisements

Or so-called miracles.

Seismic FAQ - Main Page

There are many genuine unsolved mysteries in the universe and it is okay to say, "We do not yet know but someday perhaps we will." The problem is that most of us find it more comforting to have certainty, even if it is premature, than to live with unsolved or unexplained mysteries.

OR to resort to silly notions of the paranormal - which doesn't actually mean anything. If it exists, it is part of this world, and therefore there is nothing "paranormal" about it.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 11-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: copywrite violation

Old 11-02-2013, 07:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
I thought this forum was a skeptic free zone. I remember reading that way back when it was constructed. It is for people interested in "unexplained mysteries," not for debunkers to argue why there is "no such thing."

Old 11-02-2013, 08:08 PM

That really is a red herring, isn't it? One could argue that those who subscribe to the notion of paranormal phenomena are the skeptics. Why? Because there is no reason to assume that the unexplained is not unexplainable, and yet many do. And for the record, the rules say:

Quote:
This is NOT a forum for prosthelytizing or for bashing members who hold worldviews that differ from yours.
Since I am not prosthelytizing or bashing anyone, but simply expressing a different view, I believe my thread is within the confines of the rules.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Different strokes for different folks.
Bob.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:38 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,570 times
I agree with Bob. Everyone has a different perspective on these things. I don't believe in vampires, but I'm not interested in going on pro-vampire sites to try to discount or even explore those beliefs -- I just don't care enough.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
Quote:
If it exists, it is part of this world, and therefore there is nothing "paranormal" about it.
The word 'paranormal' breaks down to 'beyond normal'. Much of what is discussed here is beyond the norms of everyday happenings. what maybe you are trying to say is these things are not 'super-natural'? And that I would agree with. Science may not yet be able to explain ghosts, yet they are beyond what is normal, to us. To us, a person is physical and can be touched, a ghost is not physical and cannot be touched. But that still does not mean that they do not exist, they just cannot be rationally explained at this time.

I don't find the notion of paranormal possibilities as silly. There was once a time in human history that the majority of people thought that the idea of the earth rotating around the sun was silly. Everyone was quite sure that it was the Sun rotating around the earth. Then people discovered the way it really worked and the idea was not so silly anymore.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Or so-called miracles.

Seismic FAQ - Main Page

10. Unexplained Is Not Inexplicable
(Think of a cake in a 450° oven. The air, the cake, and the pan are all at 450°F, but only the metal pan will burn your hand. Air has a very low heat capacity and also low conductivity, so you can put your hand in the oven long enough to touch the cake and pan. The heat capacity of the cake is a lot higher than air, but since it has low conductivity you can briefly touch it without getting burned. The metal pan has a heat capacity similar to the cake, but high conductivity too.
Please do us all a favor and put a freshly baked cookie or a piece of cake in your mouth as soon as they come right out of the oven. Then tell us your reaction. Yes, it will burn.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Please do us all a favor and put a freshly baked cookie or a piece of cake in your mouth as soon as they come right out of the oven. Then tell us your reaction. Yes, it will burn.
Naturally, you've missed the point.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM

http://www.livescience.com/38223-poltergeists.html

Quote:
Do poltergeists exist outside of folklore and historical hoaxes? If ghosts and spirits truly do move objects and cause the unexplained phenomena attributed to them, it is surprising that not a single film or video exists of such amazing incidents. Surveillance cameras and cell phones are everywhere, yet no one has ever captured a clock flying off a shelf on its own or cabinet doors violently banging open and closed in an empty kitchen. Modern reports of these "noisy spirits" are closer to urban legends than documented proof.

Though there's no scientific evidence for poltergeists or any other types of ghosts, they continue to intrigue, entertain and scare us — just as they have for centuries.
The fact is that people believe what they want to believe, and that belief as often as not is not based on reality.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The word 'paranormal' breaks down to 'beyond normal'. Much of what is discussed here is beyond the norms of everyday happenings. what maybe you are trying to say is these things are not 'super-natural'? And that I would agree with. Science may not yet be able to explain ghosts, yet they are beyond what is normal, to us. To us, a person is physical and can be touched, a ghost is not physical and cannot be touched. But that still does not mean that they do not exist, they just cannot be rationally explained at this time.

I don't find the notion of paranormal possibilities as silly. There was once a time in human history that the majority of people thought that the idea of the earth rotating around the sun was silly. Everyone was quite sure that it was the Sun rotating around the earth. Then people discovered the way it really worked and the idea was not so silly anymore.

According to Merriam-Webster, paranormal is defined as:

: very strange and not able to be explained by what scientists know about nature and the world

Another definition there is:

: not scientifically explainable : supernatural

First known use of paranormal

circa 1920

So paranormal and supernatural is synonymous, according to the definition. The problem with that definition, IMHO, is that it has no scientific basis, but is more of a cultural definition. In other words, few, if any, real scientists would agree that something not (currently) explainable necessarily needs to have the label "paranormal" or "supernatural", and that is because most real scientists consider those labels to be meaningless. Again, if it exists, it is a part of this world, and so is a natural phenomenon. As such, there is no reason to suppose that there is no scientific explanation. Again, the inexplicable is not unexplainable. The biggest problem with so called paranormal phenomenon is that there is, in fact, no unambiguous empiric database one can rely on to say that this "paranormal" phenomenon or that "supernatural" event actually exists. Most of the so called data is based on anecdotal evidence. And anecdotal evidence is not scientific. 10 anecdotes are no better than one. 100 anecdotes are no better than 10. And that is because they are not falsifiable. They are, by definition, first person in nature. Farmer Bob may be the most honest, law abiding citizen anyone has ever known, but we still need physical evidence that a ghost visited him at 3 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal