U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM

667 posts, read 2,783,070 times

Advertisements

I've had a few instances in different places that I lived. Only one did I feel like it was related to the place.

At first nothing would happen while I was around, only my wife. According to her, cabinets would open and close. The lid to her coffee cup would move from the table to the counter, etc. Needless to say, I harassed her simply because I was not around for it

Things did start to happen though. Do you know how walls can sometimes sweat? One day the wall was perfect, the next it was like that sweat. Except that it was in a perfect circle, about 4 ft big and from the circle it looked like it bled from the circle, with it running all of the way down the wall. Looked like and smelled like blood.

A few days from that our drapes in our living room starting moving like there was a strong wind outside. These were the heaving, thick insulated drapes used in the Northern parts of the States In other words, it would have a freaking tornado, or for our Southern members, a hurricane, to makes these drapes move due to wind. Oh yeah, my windows were also closed at the time

Finally, the last time anything happened was in the living room again. I always have a Cross up on my walls. This time for no reason the Cross started to vibrate. It got so bad that it was literally BOUNCING. This went on for about 3 minutes or so until it finally stopped. Believe it or not, it got so bad that the bottom of the Cross was coming off of the wall by about an inch.

We moved a month later

Oh, and before all of this started, my grandmother came over to my apartment and visited. Granted, she was not there for long, but I did see her. I will say though that it was nice seeing her since she had died about 3 years earlier. A couple of months after this is when everything started.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,734,281 times
I really think my father stayed with us for a good while after he passed. So, I dont think I would call it a haunting.

When I would wake in the mornings, the pictures would be moved, and the ones ont he walls would be crooked, knowing I had fixed them the day before.

This happened for a good 6 mos, and when i think of it, that is the amount of time I stayed in denial over the loss of my father.

When my Gma passed, my aunt had moved her up to Maryland to a nursing home a bit prior. In a dream she sat at the foot of my bed, looking at me. I was told of her death the next day.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,887,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I've had a few instances in different places that I lived. Only one did I feel like it was related to the place.

At first nothing would happen while I was around, only my wife. According to her, cabinets would open and close. The lid to her coffee cup would move from the table to the counter, etc. Needless to say, I harassed her simply because I was not around for it

Things did start to happen though. Do you know how walls can sometimes sweat? One day the wall was perfect, the next it was like that sweat. Except that it was in a perfect circle, about 4 ft big and from the circle it looked like it bled from the circle, with it running all of the way down the wall. Looked like and smelled like blood.

A few days from that our drapes in our living room starting moving like there was a strong wind outside. These were the heaving, thick insulated drapes used in the Northern parts of the States In other words, it would have a freaking tornado, or for our Southern members, a hurricane, to makes these drapes move due to wind. Oh yeah, my windows were also closed at the time

Finally, the last time anything happened was in the living room again. I always have a Cross up on my walls. This time for no reason the Cross started to vibrate. It got so bad that it was literally BOUNCING. This went on for about 3 minutes or so until it finally stopped. Believe it or not, it got so bad that the bottom of the Cross was coming off of the wall by about an inch.

We moved a month later

Oh, and before all of this started, my grandmother came over to my apartment and visited. Granted, she was not there for long, but I did see her. I will say though that it was nice seeing her since she had died about 3 years earlier. A couple of months after this is when everything started.
I think the bloody walls would have made me leave...then! Did it disappear on its own, or did you have to clean it? How neat that you got to visit with your grandmother again! I love it when that happens!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,887,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I really think my father stayed with us for a good while after he passed. So, I dont think I would call it a haunting.

When I would wake in the mornings, the pictures would be moved, and the ones ont he walls would be crooked, knowing I had fixed them the day before.

This happened for a good 6 mos, and when i think of it, that is the amount of time I stayed in denial over the loss of my father.

When my Gma passed, my aunt had moved her up to Maryland to a nursing home a bit prior. In a dream she sat at the foot of my bed, looking at me. I was told of her death the next day.
Robyn - I've had something similar happen, although not with family members who have passed on. I had two good friends in high school and we had lost touch. One night, I woke up from a sound sleep, with one of them standing at the foot of my bed. He looked at me and said, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you." Huh? I had no idea what he was talking about and figured it was a dream. Two days later, a friend told me this guy had died of AIDS - he was gay and I never knew it in high school or after.

The second time, I again woke up from a deep sleep and saw another friend from high school standing there and he said, "I'm sorry I did what I did, don't hate me." Again...HUH????? Again, I thought I had dreamed it. In the morning I got the paper and there was article in there - he had killed himself.

I had not seen either of these guys for...gosh...25 years or more? It was strange, but also comforting in a weird way.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM

163 posts, read 888,907 times
The house I grew up in was haunted. It really freaked me out as a child, but it seems like in my later teenage years, the strange occurrences became less frequent. Here's a few examples...

I'd be upstairs in the house, and hear somebody come in, walking around, etc....I'd go downstairs expecting to see that my parents or sister had just come home, but nobody was there. The house was about 90 years old, so it had lots of creaks and noises that you learn to recognize and associate with people walking across the floor in various parts of the house.

We had a pet house rabbit. Yes, a rabbit that lives in the house and uses a litter box...awesome pet! Anyhow, when you came into a room he was in, the rabbit would run up to you and stand on his hind legs, and put his paws out to touch you..this was his way of saying hello. There were countless times when he would do this where there was nobody there (at least nobody we humans could see). He would swat his paws, like he normally does to pet our legs, but of course his paws never came in contact with anything when he swatted at the ghost. This always seemed to confuse him.

My sister and her friend saw a pen levitate across the room one day. This was the only thing anyone ever actually saw move, but there were countless instances when things would seem to "disappear" and then we'd find them elsewhere in the house, in places where nobody would ever put them.

Here's the freakiest thing that ever happened....

One night I was lying in bed with the covers pulled up over my head, but I could still see out from the covers. The door was closed, and I could see the light from the hall under the crack at the bottom of the door. I heard somebody walk across the bedroom floor, and I felt them sit down at the foot of my bed. I know what this feels like, as my parents had sat on the end of my bed hundreds of times. It was so real, I though my dad had come into the room, until I realized the door had never opened! I was scarred to death and just laid there for as long as I could stand it, then I finally jumped up and turned on the light, and of course nobody was there. Anyhow, I kept this story to myself and never told my folks about it. At this point, I was a senior in high school, and was trying to convince myself that it was all in my head.

Anyhow, a few months later, we had some guests over for dinner, and the topic of the ghost came up. My mother said, "I never told anyone this story, but..." and she proceeded to describe a handful of encounters just like mine, when someone would come into the room and sit on the edge of the bed. But it got worse...she also said there was a time when she felt a cold hand wrap around her neck! At first she though it was my father, but then she realized he was sleeping with his back to her and his hands where at his sides. For some reason, my mom wasn't scarred of the ghost, but I would have moved out that night if I felt hands on my neck.

Needless to say, I was more than happy to move out of the house after high school....college couldn't come fast enough.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 AM

100 posts, read 277,680 times
yes i have lived off and on in afew haunted houses ....the last one was the weirdest place ever ... it had so much activity it was hard to get anyone to spend the night ....what ever was in this apartment did not like any males ..... it use to trip my poor old father , hide things , never hurt me or do anything but it did scare the hell out of my lil 2 year old niece ...it did alot of weird things you'd hear stuff ..way crazy .....to much to list lol .....the apartments across had activity going on they had afew old people that died there so i am sure it was haunted i never liked going there on my way to the store always felt like something or someone was watching me ...gave me the creeps ...

Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 AM

100 posts, read 277,680 times
Default aww !!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post

i understand what you mean by that when my dad died i would find lil things moved around or hear his voice call out ...it was hard on me cause it was a habbit of loved that i'd call him just after i woke up say good morning dad , i love you ........after his death i'd wake up grab the phone dial then catch myself befor calling it ...it was weird .....even now i have the desire to pick up the phone dial his number hear his voice ....so i understand how and what you are going through at that time ..one never for gets their loved ones ..never ..thanks for sharing that hugs ...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,036,930 times
When we moved from New Orleans to coastal NC, I was a child of about 10 or 11, and we moved into an old house that had been vacant for some time. After a night or two in the house, I started telling my Dad I smelled smoke from time to time. Of course, he freaked-out -- this was an older home, and I guess he imagined electrical problems somewhere. Finally, I was able to tell him it was pipe smoke I thought I was smelling, and we were all clueless. It seemed to emanate from my own bedroom on the back of the house.

About the time the pipe smoke smell was getting stronger, we would hear the creak of a rocker on the hardwood floors, and many a time I would be in my room, I'd feel hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It seemed to always be me, who was most aware of another's presence, but I seemed to be one of those people more attuned to paranormal things for some reason.

Even after remodeling the house, fresh coats of paint, refinishing the floors, and living there for many years, I could always detect the smell. After awhile it was even sort of comforting, like I had a 'grandfather' close by, or something, although both of mine were still alive at the time, and neither ever smoked.

While we lived there, my maternal grandfather did die of an aneurysm. My Mother and Grandmother carried him to the hospital on a Monday, and on Thursday of that week, he had died. I dreamt it on the previous Sunday evening, however, and was almost afraid to even share that with anyone in my family.

Years later, I spent a wonderful afternoon, or so it seemed, with my paternal Grandmother in New Orleans. I carried my little one-year-old daughter on my hip, and was so delighted that Grandmother could meet her. It was so real -- the smells in the house, the coolness of the brick patio in her side yard. I never cried so hard as when I awoke from that dream, and I have never been able to visit her in the old house since. She had died while I was in college, and I was always sorry she had never lived to see me marry, or to enjoy her great-grandchildren.

When my husband was building his home, he had a neighbor, an elderly gentleman who liked to walk across the property, and sit at the kitchen table and visit with him. My husband had lived in the house for probably ten years when we married, and I moved in to make it our home. I was alone in the house, sitting in bed, propped on pillows, and reading, when I thought I saw someone walk through the front hallway, headed towards the kitchen. I was a little taken aback, as we lived in absolute NOwhere.

I knew it wasn't my husband -- too short, too slight of a man, wearing a baseball-style cap. I called out, "hello?," and hopped out of bed to see if, indeed, someone was in the house with me. The grey figure faded away in the kitchen.

When my husband did get in late that evening from a business trip, I told him what had happened, and described the fellow. He pulled a photo album out of the cabinet, flipped through the pages to a barbecue on the property, and pointing to a slight fellow in a baseball-style cap, asked, "Is this him?" It was the older gentleman who liked to come visit with my husband in the evenings, sit at the kitchen table, and share a cup of coffee.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 AM

11,464 posts, read 18,593,068 times
Stayed in my Aunt and Uncles house once and only once, they have ghosts, doors opened and closed all night, I could hear someone walking in the hall, the bathroom light came on and off. They said it happens on and off over the years, they said they have seen a man walking around at night, even my cousins have seen him, my parents stay there when they visit and both of them claim to see things.
In our house we've seen thing we couldn't explain, once right in front of us a candle fell out of an enclosed candle holder, when i checked it the door on the holder was closed, our tv has changed channels to cartoons a few times.
All good stuff.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 AM

54,084 posts, read 32,494,116 times
I have a ghost in my house, but don't worry, he pays his rent every month, and buys his own food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal