U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,421,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I had very similar things happen in our last house, only I was always on the computer when it happened.

I would be sitting quietly in the corner of living room and clearly hear my son clunk his plastic glass on the counter. It was a noise I often did hear him make. Only sometimes he was not there when I heard it and turned around to ask him something.
Other times I would hear the glass clunk and then, "Mama." I'd say "what?" without turning around and get no answer. Then turn around when I got no response. Ok, maybe he already went back to his room. No sooner do I turn around when I hear, "Mama!" a bit louder. I turn around and he is not there.
I would get up and ask him if he just came out for a drink and what did he want... and he always said has not moved in a while.
This voice said other things, but I am too tired tonight to find them in my brain.

He, on the other hand, would often hear, "Matt" called louder and louder, until he finally got up to see what I wanted. I was quietly minding my own business on the computer and never once called him, nor did I hear the voice - which he said was quite loud.

I heard a child's voice and he heard a woman's.

We think there were two children and their mother there, also an old man and a monkey.
But that is another story and basically is going to be the last part of the book I hope to someday complete.
Wow, well, at least I know it's not just me hearing "Mama!"

I used to hear phantom baby crying when my younger son was a baby, too. I'd put him down for a nap, go get in the shower, hear him crying (or so I thought), and get OUT of the shower to find out why whoever was left in charge was letting him cry, only to find him sound asleep and have everyone tell me he was NOT crying. Yet I'd heard it as clear as a bell.

A monkey!? I'll have to read that book!

Our youngest (daughter, 10) will pretty regularly come out of her room and say "Were you calling me?" -- she always thinks someone is calling her and I don't now what to think of that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 2,396,177 times
Have you asked her if the voice she hears is a child or adult, male or female?

I never heard a phantom baby cry. (Wait, I did! but that was when I was 19 and had my cousin's baby girl for three weeks and heard her crying after she left. I so wanted to keep that baby girl. She's all growed up with a bunch of kids of her own.) From that experience I never want to hear a phantom baby cry... I couldn't stand it!

I'll letcha know when the book is done.
Actually, writing in this thread has gotten me going on it a lot more, and I'm remembering more as I go along. (Never fear tho... I have notes! )

The monkey was a barrel of laughs.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM

319 posts, read 448,302 times
I've lived in two different places that were haunted.

One was a very old and run-down parsonage next door to a little whit church. It had been vacant for quite some time before my family moved in. I was maybe seven years old. This place had a lot of rooms, and most had two doorways. From my bed, I could see the living room easily.

I've always been one of those people who awaken at the faintest light. I can probably count on my fingers the number of times I've slept past sunrise. Anyhow, most nights, I'd awaken to the faint glow of four semi-transparent young-looking ghosts dressed in what seemed to me to be Victorian garb. There were two men and two women. They'd dance all together in the center of the living room in what I can only guess was some sort of square dance, or maybe a waltz. Whoever they were, and whatever they were doing, they looked like they were having a good time, and so I was not afraid. In fact, I loved that old house. We ended up moving a year or so later. The house was torn down a few years after that.

My other encounter with a haunted place was when I moved into a one-bedroom apartment in an old, ramshackle fourplex maybe eight years ago. My landlord was over eighty years old. When I took the place, I had a very vague sense there was something in the bedroom, but I couldn't place my finger on what. Just... something. My sister came to see my new place a few days later, and freaked out when she went into that bedroom. She told me that someone had spent a lot of time in there feeling miserable, sick, and alone... and that she still felt at least part of their presence. That was enough to start me sleeping in the living room. Yet, my cat didn't seem bothered by the room at all. In fact, he would even lie in a certain spot on the floor maybe four feet from the wall, almost as if he was lying at somebody's feet as they sat in an easy chair. Their contradictory reactions intrigued me, so I started asking around.

A few months later, I learned from my landlord that three people had died in that room. The fourplex was part of a larger apartment complex that had been in my landlord's family for generations, and I had inherited what used to be his family's chosen apartment. A long time ago, my landlord's grandmother had died in that room. Years later, so had his mother. And twenty years after that, my landlord's still-widowed father died in that room of cancer. I can only assume the presence was that of his father... but it's impossible to say for sure.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,261,586 times
I just discovered this forum today and it looks like I have a lot of reading to do in this thread, but I'll start by giving my couple of experiences in chronological order.

The first one I believe I've debunked. I was ten years old and there was just this overall feeling of horror in the house for me. It kept me up at night and even now (25 years later) when I picture the house in my mind I get chills. That said, the way the house was set up was that it was split level. There were three bedrooms upstairs, the living room, kitchen & dining room on the main level, and then a family room, bathroom and my bedroom on the bottom level. At ten years old, even though I don't remember being particularly lonely or afraid at all, I have written my feelings off as being associated with that. One caveat, I have never been a sleep walker and my sister told me that she did see me walking around one night in my sleep talking to myself.

The second one was when I stayed at a friends house. She told me that her house was occupied by a spirit who was not frightening at all. It was just her son and her who lived there and they would occasionally hear foot steps upstairs. After worrying about an intruder or an animal and investigating several times to find nothing, she did some research and found out that an old man had died upstairs many years earlier. When I was staying at the house I would hear what sounded like very obvious foot steps as well, and she invited me to go upstairs and look and I found nothing that would have made that noise.
Her son also told me something about encountering shadow people once, but I don't recall that whole story.

I lived in an apartment with three other people, and all 4 of us had experiences where we thought we saw something, each time it was about the same story, seeing something move out of the corner of our eye in parts of the apartment where there was no window or anything. The sad part about it is that each time we saw it our intitial reaction was never that it was one of the roommates, because "it" was too small. It was like a kid was moving around the apartment.

And about 2 years ago my wife and I were looking for a house to rent. We saw a sign on the road and called the number. The landlord told us that he was out of town at the moment but the side door was open and if we wanted to go check it out we could. He asked me what the price range was and I told him I was looking for about $800-900. He said "I'll tell you what, go look at that house and tell me if you think it's an $800-900 house!"
We went to the address and it was a HUGE house. The side door opened up to what used to be a garage but had been converted into a bar. That led to the kitchen, dining room, family room. Then down the hall there was a parlour room and a living room (kind of excessive, IMO) We walked up the stairs and into the master bedroom. We opened what we thought was a closet but it turned out to actually be a nursery. It was all pink and we walked around in that room for a moment and that's when both of us got extremely creeped out. Nothing happened at all, but both of us were hit with a very sad, very strong feeling that we were not alone. We left immediately, I called the guy and told him "you're right, I wouldn't pay $800-900 for that house!" (I didn't really say that )

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 24,590 times
I moved to an old coal mining town a few years ago. I didn't know the history of the town right away but was aware that the railroad and the coal mines built it. We moved into a three bedroom trailer that was only two or three years old. It was very nice and in a residential neighborhood on the river. My husband worked nights and would leave around 3 a.m. every day so my daughter and I spent a lot of time alone. The first thing that happened was our electricity would be shut off frequently. After many attempts at calling the landlord she sent over a handyman. He did not find anything faulty or wrong and said maybe it was the Wyoming wind cutting the power out. One day I was doing my make up in the guest bathroom when the lights started to flicker. I said "cut it out!" and the power goes out. The hair on my arms and neck started to stand up and I got a very eerie feeling. I told my husband that it was getting out of hand and we needed an electrician to come by. The power company sent a man and he could not find a reason why the power was going out. It was all very strange. One night my husband had just left for work and I fell back to sleep when I suddenly woke up. I was about to roll over and try to sleep again when the tall flimsy mirror we had propped against our dresser stood straight up for two seconds and then fell over on to my bed. This defied physics. I could not wrap my head around how a mirror could stand up on its own and then topple over. I jumped out of bed,turned on every light in the house, and grabbed my sleeping daughter. Another night, my husband had just left for work and I had grown used to leaving on the bathroom light when he was gone. I was about to fall asleep when the light started to flicker and then shut off. Once again our power was out. I got this creepy feeling and was more scared then ever. I grabbed my daughter and drove around town until the sun came up. When we got home every single light was on. I asked around and my friends told me the entire town was haunted and it wasn't just our home. A friend suggested a cleansing I did myself. I would talk loudly and declare it was my home and they weren't welcome. The power stopped going out but every now and again we would wake up with scratches on us. It was scary..
I also had an incident where I was searching for milk in the fridge and knew I had a full gallon in there. I made a note to run out later and buy more. Later in the afternoon I was on the phone and talking to my mom when I came back into the kitchen the gallon of milk was on my counter. It was still cold. I could not explain this. I had searched and I know I didn't leave it out. I could not find an explanation. Our remote or keys would go missing and turn up later in the day. My husband once saw a dark shadow near my daughters room. We moved out after two years but by then the activity had stopped or winded down so much we chose not to notice. I hope I never have to go through that again.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 16,628 times
The house I lived in back in England had some really creepy things happen. One night me, my mum and brother and sister were watching a movie in the living room. All of a sudden there was a big bang on the door to that room which was closed at the time. My mum jumped up to go see and the door would not open no matter how hard she pulled on the handle.. iI mean it was just a normal wooden door with no locks or anything.. We knew both the front and back door were both locked so nobody could be in the house. we were staring at it thinking what the heck?? Then we started hearing scratching coming from the surrounding walls and whispering I think i was in shock for about 2 minutes then i freaked out and started screaming which also started my younger brother and sister off. My mother evenually calmed us down and called her sister to come over. She dropped the keys out of the window so my aunt could unlock the door and come in.. Turns out there was a broom wedged against the door handle on the other side of the door!! And all the outside accsess doors were locked as we knew. We all stayed at my aunts house that night, even the hamster came and I refused to come back to the house for 2 weeks after that. We have never been to explain what happened that night and ever since small creepy things would happen like one time i was going in the shower and put my razor down on the bath then went to get it again a few mins later and it was gone. later that night my mum found it in the refrigerator :s My mum still lives there (I told her she's crazy) But she just gets on with it and doesn't seem to mind the strange going-ons.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,559,506 times
My wife and I once did when we were first married. It as we figured was a cat. It would walk across the wood floors and we'd hear it. Also we could see the pad impressions on the bed spread, and sometimes we'd be in the bed and feel it walk up to the head board. We lived there a year or so and before we left my wife could feel it pressing itself on the backs of her legs while she was in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes. We never felt uneasy over this. Actually the house was one of the most peaceful we have ever lived in and for us/me that is saying a lot.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 AM

112 posts, read 169,826 times
Born into one, grew up in one, live in one now, and have vacation homes with family that are "haunted".

Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 PM

112 posts, read 169,826 times
Grew up in one, live in one now, in NC and Grand Cayman. I know they are around,mean me no harm, have helped a couple of them take care of things they were meaning to do when they died too soon. We coexist peacefully. Might say better than some human roomates can or do.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 5,832 times
My girlfriend and I lived in a townhouse a few years ago and one night we were upstairs watching TV in our bedroom and we decided to go down to the kitchen for some popcorn. When we got to the kitchen I turned on the light and all of our cupboard doors and drawers were open. Then one day we were watching TV in our living room and our dryer, which was located in the next room, turned on by itself. Those were the only two things that happned, but when our 1 year lease was up we didn't stick around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal