U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 04:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,377,399 times

Advertisements

This will end up with a two part thread as there is now a impending moral problem if this is a haunting, I just don't know if it is.

History:

Our old house was bought with my down payment, but dad's credit. I have payed the house down for twenty years, but dad needed to declare bankruptcy and to be honest at this point we wanted to walk away because of everything that was happening with the property. Property is able to be sold by trustees and it needs lots of reno's in order to sell.

We are the third owners of this house that was built in 1952 for GI vets in south Florida. The first owners bought it newly married and they sold it after only twenty years, second couple which we bought it from only lasted twenty years, and I have lasted approximately twenty in it, my adult son now lives in it and, thankfully he will be living with us within a week.

I don't know if this is a haunting because nothing of voices, presences, moving objects or anything that you would ever consider a haunting like the TV shows depict. But all of those that have ever lived there think it is haunted because it does wreak hell on who ever lives there.

Every family that lived there, first couple, second owners, us, and now my son say the same thing. The oppression and spooking stuff was way too much, but it was slow and ate at your soul. Only it has progressed quite a bit with my son living there, he can't wait to get the hell out of it.

Another thing is the worst of it happens after reno's and moving, what ever is in the place has the patience of the devil and knows how to make you turn against your love ones. There is nothing that you can document other then all that have lived there felt it and their lives have suffered for it.

We moved into a new place and it is night and day, second owner stated the same thing, first owners are passed but they talk to second owner and remarked on how much happier they were after leaving the place, funny thing is that second owner didn't ask about it untill the same time I asked myself.

My question is if it is a haunting if just really bad luck, oppression, the house self sabatoging, illness, and relationship strife was a constant for all families moving in and when they left that all lifted to would be expected normal amounts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:59 PM

5,783 posts, read 4,497,469 times
I'd wonder first if there's something in the air, inside surfaces, or water like heavy metals or toxins, both of which might cause behavioral and perceptual changes ... Especially since it's an older house. Infrasonics or EMF fields are another couple of possibilities.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,733,902 times
It could be something environmental that is 'leaking' out into the home. Mold can be a doozy.
Any sort of chemical or element that is not good for us can weaken our health in ways we would not consider logical.
So the post above is very much a possibility.

With the home being 'new' for the first couple, you know it is not due to any past tenants haunting the place, but I wonder about the land itself.
For a paranormal possibility, the home could be sitting on some kind of vortex. As I do not believe in demons, I won't say that there are evil spirits coming through the vortex. And as you say, there is no indication of a typical haunting so I would be inclined to think that there is a bad energy, but not entity present.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 AM

The mold thing thing might have been a factor but it was wiped out with my work, and our reno's. Example:

The roof which was open beam red stained dade county pine was covered with black mold that I spent two years cleaning, sanding and restaining. When it was done it Was stunning as it is today.

When we took the original plaster off the walls and knocked down several walls to make it open concept before it was even popular we found mold bad enough to have my then oldest living with my parents for two years untill we re plastered the entire house.

So while there was mold there, we did eradicated it within the first two years we owned it, the oppression was really bad those two years, but it continued long after and has been really bad within these last three years.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 PM

6,928 posts, read 8,632,062 times
This is along the lines of one of my rentals.
I don't know the complete history of the house, other than it, along with the other five on the property, were moved here too this property 40 years ago from a different location where they were built.
One house in particular has had four different tenants in the last twenty years, and it was always a couple that lived in the house, and each one moved out because they always fought,were unhappy being married, and all ended in divorce after moving out.
The rest of the houses have people living in them for years and years with no marital problems, but this one house has had it's share of marital discomfort over the years.
The last tenants (husband and wife) lived there only three months, and he came home early from work one afternoon to find his wife in bed with some dude.
In all my rentals (and I have many of them) this is the only unit where couples really have a hard time getting along with one another.
Bob.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 AM

I know me and first husband divorced when we lived in this house, second husband didn't fight as much but I went through two miscarriages with second husband in this house and a lot of other negative problems.

My oldest son that currently lives in the house, developed a drinking problem and separated from his girlfriend. Now that he is almost gone from it, he is sober and they are back together again. He is coming to live with me in new house with new job, and finishing his nursing school.

Second owners fought so hard that the husband lived in the garage out back, the wife constantly fought with neighbors and was very unhappy. When she moved to new place that they have been in for twenty plus years the husband and wife reconciled, their boys grew up fine and are in college. Second owner did tell me when I ask about first owners complaining that they just seemed happier after leaving.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,412,505 times
There are explanations both mundane and supernatural.

I think there is some truth to Feng Shui from a psychological perspective; certain negative and postitive aspects of a home can subconsciously effect the mind and aggravate real-world problems as well as help resolve them.

Of course there are health issues associated with problem homes too; a house that previously had a mold problem is definitely suspect. Radon gas, carbon dioxide and/or monoxide buildup, pollutants in the home's water supply, level of light, off-gassing building materials, ect can all contribute to psychological problems.

I don't know the how or why behind it, but it seems to me places that have been the scene of lots of strong emotion somehow get that imprint left on them, which feeds more like emotions and maybe even attracts ghosts.

As for a real haunting; I can say from experience that it's very taxing psychologically to live in such a place, even if it's not a hostile spook. But if more typical signs of a haunting are not present, I'd be more inclined to suspect environmental factors.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM

455 posts, read 895,691 times
To the OP: have you or any members of your family or any of the previous residents of the house had any connections with Santaria?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
To the OP: have you or any members of your family or any of the previous residents of the house had any connections with Santaria?
No not that I know of, first two owners were American and no ties to that religion, I am Christian and don't beleive in that at all. But around that old neighborhood some folks did practice it.

Btw I did have the house blessed twice by our church when things just seem to be going really downhill and for a while the negative energy and bad mishaps did calm down for a year or two after each blessing. Only that it would ramp up again and be worse after a period of calm.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:12 PM

455 posts, read 895,691 times
I'm a native Floridian and an Anglo but both my best friend and my ex were Cuban/American. Both had some pretty wild experiences...her's in direct relation to Santaria and his in regards to other paranormal matters. I was sympathetic and listened to their issues though, in reality and my Anglo skepticism, I doubted their experiences.

When my daughter was born...stuff started happening around her and has all her life. She was raised by her skeptical, single, Anglo Mom so the cultural influence definitely wasn't the same as the two above. I've had more powerful, believable, concrete experiences since her birth than I've had in my entire life. There's definitely something to the theory that some people and maybe places too...attract some kind of activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal