Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,547,489 times

Advertisements

UFO sightings reported New Year's Eve across California | abc7news.com

A lot of people say they saw a strange thing in the sky over California on New Year's Eve and they say it wasn't fireworks, but a UFO.

They saw multiple glowing objects over several cities including Sacramento, Auburn and Stockton
Someone captured video of a similar image in the sky over Hollywood, spotted during the fireworks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,600,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
UFO sightings reported New Year's Eve across California | abc7news.com

A lot of people say they saw a strange thing in the sky over California on New Year's Eve and they say it wasn't fireworks, but a UFO.

They saw multiple glowing objects over several cities including Sacramento, Auburn and Stockton
Someone captured video of a similar image in the sky over Hollywood, spotted during the fireworks.
Since the video in the link also mentioned the Salinas crop circle in California, it's worth mentioning that it's no longer there as the landowner had the field plowed presumably because hordes of spectators were descending on the location which was private property. I suspect the crop circle was an impressive creation by trespassers.
Mysterious Salinas Crop Circle Plowed Over | NBC Bay Area

One problem in the ABC News video is that one observer describes the UFO sighting as seen through a tree covered with branches. Another observer shows a drawing with one or two trees as well. Seeing a light through trees is not exactly the best vantage point for an observation. The Hollywood video is too blurred to make out much of anything other than showing a light in the sky which could be anything including aircraft.

I'm kind of wondering if some of the California UFOs might be similar to the videos below on New Years Eve in Thailand. These videos show sky lanterns being launched in Chiang Mai and Pattaya Thailand. There are clearly a much larger number of them in Thailand, and understandably much fewer in California.

CHIANG MAI - New Year - 2014 - The Moat - YouTube

New Year's 2014 | Sky Lanterns Over Pattaya Beach, Thailand - YouTube

Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,480,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
These videos show sky lanterns being launched in Chiang Mai and Pattaya Thailand. There are clearly a much larger number of them in Thailand, and understandably much fewer in California.
Definitely sky lanterns. We had loads of them Tuesday night in my N. Texas area, I'd expect the same in CA.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,256,250 times
we saw them in manteca, near stockton, very obvious they were the lanterns.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM

455 posts, read 974,451 times
Another lantern story: UPDATE: What were those mysterious lights in the sky? - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,167,751 times
Considering California's severe lack of rain for like the last 20 years--including the current drought; massive forest fires seemingly every year for as long as I can remember; a ban on practically every kind of firework, including sparklers, since I was a kid (I'm middled-aged) because the State is so dry, and so on...I highly doubt the State would allow for effin' "burning" lanterns to be let loose into the sky.

And if they weren't "burning" lanterns, but perhaps some other type of luminescent, I highly doubt California would appreciate the litter. This is California we are talking about....not Maryland.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:02 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,600,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Considering California's severe lack of rain for like the last 20 years--including the current drought; massive forest fires seemingly every year for as long as I can remember; a ban on practically every kind of firework, including sparklers, since I was a kid (I'm middled-aged) because the State is so dry, and so on...I highly doubt the State would allow for effin' "burning" lanterns to be let loose into the sky.

And if they weren't "burning" lanterns, but perhaps some other type of luminescent, I highly doubt California would appreciate the litter. This is California we are talking about....not Maryland.
Oregon also has a statewide ban on fireworks such as firecrackers and sky rockets (including small bottle rockets). They're illegal to sell in the state. Sparklers, noisemakers, and fountain-type ground fireworks are permitted though. Regardless, every year for days before and after the 4th of July and New Years Eve, good-sized sky rockets, firecrackers and loud explosive boomers go off in neighborhoods all over the place.

Just because the state of California has a ban on fireworks doesn't mean people aren't going to fire them off during the holidays. Sky lanterns are no exception. Sky lanterns are not as much of a fire hazard as might be thought. The flame is centered so as to keep the lantern upright and not burn the material. They come down after the flame has burned out, and when the flame is out, you don't see them come down in the dark of night. In effect, they're basically small hot air balloons. Most fireworks don't go nearly as high as sky lanterns. Oregon has litter laws too, but litter still seems to shows up along roads, highways and freeways, and there are litter crews that go out to pick it up periodically. I'm pretty sure California has its share of litter as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal