U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,714,918 times

Advertisements

I saw it when it aired on Animal Planet. I thought several of the episodes were entertaining and credible. However I do remember that episode as being stupid and blatantly fake. It had to have been towards the end of their production because although it was the worst, the others near it were bad too. It was also just 30 min I think when the older better episode took up the whole hour.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
I was watching the Saranac lake one and for some reason the "wife" is different? Now I know they have people who play the Husband and wife in the reenactments, but did "Jen" who was a tenant then his wife leave? I found myself preoccupied with that. It's funny how "The Haunted and A Haunting" switch them back and forth. I wonder how much they get paid. On the "Dead Files and When Ghosts attack" Darcey the bar owner tells her story in both shows and employees changed as well. Seeing them in both makes their credibility drop for me. They are obviously in it for the cash.
I look at it this way, it's television. It's entertaining and not necessarily true. Maybe a fine line of truth that is embellished upon. So I don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM

13,145 posts, read 20,409,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
So, I was watching an episode of "The Haunted" last night on Destination America. Let me start off by saying, while I haven't ever had an experience, I am a total believer in the paranormal. But, this episode I was watching was too much, even for me, and that doesn't happen often.

The episode went like this. Basically, a teenager's father died which piqued her interest in the paranormal. So, her and her friend that lives with her died went to different paranormal places and one time went to Henryton State Hospital. They saw an apparition and ran out, but felt that something was following them to their car (which I doubt). They got home, and just a couple days later they started having paranormal things happen in the house, including when an apparition charged at her mother. So, they hired a paranormal investigator and that's when it starts to get stupid. The investigators brought in a voice box, to which the spirit responded very quickly (rarely happens from what I know), and listen to this, it gave the family THREE WARNINGS FOR THE FUTURE. It said to get the dog out the house, furnace fire, and burgularly where someone dies. And guess what happens? All three magically happen! One of their dog dies, a furnace almost burns the house down, and burglary takes place at one of the teenager's brother's best friend's house where his best friend dies. And listen to this, the only thing to get this "demon" out of the house was a simple house blessing!

I mean, seriously, what a joke. It's "true" stories like these that give the paranormal a bad name. And I believe someone has to call these people out. There comes a point where these "stories" just get ridiculous.

What are you all's thoughts on this?
You can't help but laugh at most paranormal "documentaries" once you've lived through a haunting in real life.

I had a friend who got his ghost story featured on "Paranormal Witness" and they really hammed his story up in my opinion... that scared me away from ever trying to peddle my own ghost story to the entertainment industry.

But the truth is that real hauntings don't make great TV entertainment as-is. It is virtually impossible to communicate the feeling of being the midst of a haunting and while seeing something happen that rightfully shouldn't happen in real-life is absolutely terrifying, seeing the exact event recreated on TV is seriously lackluster (because unreal is the name of the game on TV!).

Beyond that, most real hauntings have no rhyme or reason to them. It's something completely out of human control and human sense of logic... again leading to serious feelings of "high strangeness" in real life but making for pretty crappy TV which pretty much demands a coherent story.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,101 times
why does this sound familer what episode is it because i think i know witch one it is and some of these episodes make me feel hatred for people who want to be on tv

Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,101 times
oh so that the episode then because my uncle refuse to let me watch it when it air because he said it was to scary *laughs*

Old 05-08-2017, 12:56 PM

755 posts, read 444,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
So, I was watching an episode of "The Haunted" last night on Destination America. Let me start off by saying, while I haven't ever had an experience, I am a total believer in the paranormal. But, this episode I was watching was too much, even for me, and that doesn't happen often.

The episode went like this. Basically, a teenager's father died which piqued her interest in the paranormal. So, her and her friend that lives with her died went to different paranormal places and one time went to Henryton State Hospital. They saw an apparition and ran out, but felt that something was following them to their car (which I doubt). They got home, and just a couple days later they started having paranormal things happen in the house, including when an apparition charged at her mother. So, they hired a paranormal investigator and that's when it starts to get stupid. The investigators brought in a voice box, to which the spirit responded very quickly (rarely happens from what I know), and listen to this, it gave the family THREE WARNINGS FOR THE FUTURE. It said to get the dog out the house, furnace fire, and burgularly where someone dies. And guess what happens? All three magically happen! One of their dog dies, a furnace almost burns the house down, and burglary takes place at one of the teenager's brother's best friend's house where his best friend dies. And listen to this, the only thing to get this "demon" out of the house was a simple house blessing!

I mean, seriously, what a joke. It's "true" stories like these that give the paranormal a bad name. And I believe someone has to call these people out. There comes a point where these "stories" just get ridiculous.

What are you all's thoughts on this?
I totally agree. I believe in the paranormal, but even shows that hyper-
dramatize what very well may be a true story annoy me to no end. I
wish they'd dispense with the Hollywood visual tricks and just tell the
story as it happened. If it's too bland for some tastes, so be it, at
least it's being presented as it truly is.

Heck, I think golf is bland, yet we don't see televised tournaments
being embellished with visual tricks to make it more entertaining.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 PM

24,381 posts, read 21,229,233 times
Whatever happened to Kim Russoe's show? I liked that.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,896,326 times
Yeah! ''The Haunting of...''. I also loved ''Celebrity Ghost Stories''.
All the ''Paranormal Witness''' shows are on SyFy on-demand.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 AM

14,118 posts, read 6,954,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Agree, Celebrity Ghost Stories was one of my favorites. I can't think of any episode that I didn't like.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM

24,381 posts, read 21,229,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Agree, Celebrity Ghost Stories was one of my favorites. I can't think of any episode that I didn't like.
Me three! Remember the one with that blonde guy who was so rude and walked off? I used to know his name but ever since that episode I have consciously forgotten his name! I haven't seen any more shows with her either. I liked her. I think she and Caputo are real deals.

ETA: His last name is Hall, I think. John Michael? David Michael? Something like that.

Last edited by tamiznluv; 05-10-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal