U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
 
933 posts, read 1,301,792 times
Reputation: 1030

Advertisements

So, I was watching an episode of "The Haunted" last night on Destination America. Let me start off by saying, while I haven't ever had an experience, I am a total believer in the paranormal. But, this episode I was watching was too much, even for me, and that doesn't happen often.

The episode went like this. Basically, a teenager's father died which piqued her interest in the paranormal. So, her and her friend that lives with her died went to different paranormal places and one time went to Henryton State Hospital. They saw an apparition and ran out, but felt that something was following them to their car (which I doubt). They got home, and just a couple days later they started having paranormal things happen in the house, including when an apparition charged at her mother. So, they hired a paranormal investigator and that's when it starts to get stupid. The investigators brought in a voice box, to which the spirit responded very quickly (rarely happens from what I know), and listen to this, it gave the family THREE WARNINGS FOR THE FUTURE. It said to get the dog out the house, furnace fire, and burgularly where someone dies. And guess what happens? All three magically happen! One of their dog dies, a furnace almost burns the house down, and burglary takes place at one of the teenager's brother's best friend's house where his best friend dies. And listen to this, the only thing to get this "demon" out of the house was a simple house blessing!

I mean, seriously, what a joke. It's "true" stories like these that give the paranormal a bad name. And I believe someone has to call these people out. There comes a point where these "stories" just get ridiculous.

What are you all's thoughts on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,920 posts, read 5,090,864 times
Reputation: 6217
I agree with you. All my life (50+) I've read, watched, & participated in practically everything available about the paranormal I can't even watch these shows that are on now. They are too stupid to even be entertaining.

So there is a foolproof way to communicate with spirits. Using a box. Why is this not on every single news outlet? People have been trying to find a way to do this for thousands of years, lol!

About the only show I can watch (& sometimes it's on the unbelievable side) is Paranormal Witness.

I've had it with these supposedly "real" shows where the investigators attempt to "challenge" ghosts. What a joke!

the Haunted actually has had a few shows that weren't so bad. I guess they've gone to the sensational, fictionalized format as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
 
933 posts, read 1,301,792 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I agree with you. All my life (50+) I've read, watched, & participated in practically everything available about the paranormal I can't even watch these shows that are on now. They are too stupid to even be entertaining.

So there is a foolproof way to communicate with spirits. Using a box. Why is this not on every single news outlet? People have been trying to find a way to do this for thousands of years, lol!

About the only show I can watch (& sometimes it's on the unbelievable side) is Paranormal Witness.

I've had it with these supposedly "real" shows where the investigators attempt to "challenge" ghosts. What a joke!

the Haunted actually has had a few shows that weren't so bad. I guess they've gone to the sensational, fictionalized format as well.
Yeah, The Haunted is usually good, this episode was just a total turnoff. I guess, even though I believe in the paranormal, you hit that point watching these shows that what they are saying cannot possibly be true.

But it also makes me realize why so many people don't believe. They see a ridiculous show like this, and I don't blame them if they then say to themselves, well EVERYTHING must be made up like this. And it does kind of **** me off when episodes like this come out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 PM
 
13,619 posts, read 22,245,876 times
Reputation: 24424
The Haunted is produced by a company with Catholic Church leanings. It's my understanding (I am not Catholic, but was raised in an area that was pretty much all Catholic and hung out with two guys were on their way to the priesthood, and are now priests..) that the Catholic view is that all paranormal stuff is demonic. If it doesn't start out that way, it's headed that way.

That's why when I view their stuff, I think of it as entertainment only.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,787 posts, read 4,501,379 times
Reputation: 10987
I agree about Paranormal Witness ... one of the best offerings out there purely from an entertainment perspective.

If The Haunted is the one that used to be on Animal Planet, that one used to be pretty good but it sounds like it was bought out and moved to another channel. Too bad it's gone down in quality; the episode describes sound pretty goofy.

I lived in a house that I'd describe as "very haunted", however you interpret that phrase ... one moonlit night a friend and I were going out for something to eat, and were admiring the night sky in the grassy area next to the house. The sound of footsteps crossed the lawn between us but there was no one there ... we both looked and I asked if he had heard it too. He said yes, and for the next 10-15 minutes there was the sound of people running and walking around and between us. Months later I asked him what he thought that was, and he got angry and said "nothing" and wouldn't talk about it or any of the other things we experienced there.

That's the problem with these experiences ... if you've had them you never forget them, and you either have to incorporate their strangeness into your view of the world (or at least your view of human psychology), or deny they ever happened. TV shows aren't going to convince anyone of anything, one way or the other ... and whatever these phenomena represent, they're not going to perform like trained seals just because there's a camera crew in the house or a "paranormal investigator" is trying to provoke them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM
 
933 posts, read 1,301,792 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The Haunted is produced by a company with Catholic Church leanings. It's my understanding (I am not Catholic, but was raised in an area that was pretty much all Catholic and hung out with two guys were on their way to the priesthood, and are now priests..) that the Catholic view is that all paranormal stuff is demonic. If it doesn't start out that way, it's headed that way.

That's why when I view their stuff, I think of it as entertainment only.
I normally think this show is good and interesting, but this episode just was a real turnoff. If this was this really negative spirit that they implied it to be (one of them said the shadow they saw didn't take a human form), and will threaten the family so intensely through this magical "voice box", then how the hell did a simple house blessing that the paranormal investigators and the family perform magically get this extremely negative spirit out the house. I am pretty confident getting out some sage and salt isn't driving out an entity this negative.

Is that just me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 PM
 
2,949 posts, read 5,071,343 times
Reputation: 1626
If all this stuff was real, it would be on the news. Why is everything so subjective. If there were so called ghost and they wanted to communicate, they could do it in a way that left no doubt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM
 
13,619 posts, read 22,245,876 times
Reputation: 24424
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I normally think this show is good and interesting, but this episode just was a real turnoff. If this was this really negative spirit that they implied it to be (one of them said the shadow they saw didn't take a human form), and will threaten the family so intensely through this magical "voice box", then how the hell did a simple house blessing that the paranormal investigators and the family perform magically get this extremely negative spirit out the house. I am pretty confident getting out some sage and salt isn't driving out an entity this negative.

Is that just me?
Nope. A simple house blessing wouldn't take care of something quite evil. It didn't in the case of the of the Smurls -- it simply followed them to the new house, after being "taken care of" at the first house. Ed and Lorraine Warren were involved with that case, too.

By the way -- I saw that one on Animal Planet. I don't think the show is in production anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,933 posts, read 8,637,905 times
Reputation: 8718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The Haunted is produced by a company with Catholic Church leanings. It's my understanding (I am not Catholic, but was raised in an area that was pretty much all Catholic and hung out with two guys were on their way to the priesthood, and are now priests..) that the Catholic view is that all paranormal stuff is demonic. If it doesn't start out that way, it's headed that way.

That's why when I view their stuff, I think of it as entertainment only.

I have not practiced the Catholic religion since as a kid I realized it was nothing more than a huge money grab.
Your statement about the religion saying paranormal stuff is demonic really threw me for a loop.
Was it not a paranormal experience when Christ died on the cross, and three days later, arose from the dead to ascend to heaven?
Catholics always speak of angles, and so many around the globe have stated they have seen the Virgin Mary in countless numbers of places.
Would not those sightings be a paranormal experience?
I think the Catholics need to get their story straight.
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 08:33 PM
 
933 posts, read 1,301,792 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Nope. A simple house blessing wouldn't take care of something quite evil. It didn't in the case of the of the Smurls -- it simply followed them to the new house, after being "taken care of" at the first house. Ed and Lorraine Warren were involved with that case, too.

By the way -- I saw that one on Animal Planet. I don't think the show is in production anymore.
Yup. And the next question I have to ask, if this is remotely true, is what parents would let child wander around to all of these abandoned places in the first place. What good could possibly be to go to an abandoned hospital in the middle of nowhere? Where is the parenting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top