Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM

754 posts, read 1,018,041 times

Advertisements

Thinking bout getting it but heard its terrifying and really gives u bad images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
Thinking bout getting it but heard its terrifying and really gives u bad images.

In my opinion, Ed and Lorraine Warren were charlatans, but go ahead and read it if you think it'll help.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:52 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post

I read it about 20 years ago. It's obviously from the Warren's conservative Roman Catholic perspective. I am neither. That said, if you are interested in the subject of demonology, it's a good place to begin. Many of their ideas and thoughts are generally accepted by the spiritual paranormal community. And many were introduced to the reading public through this book.

Their levels of possession theory is pretty spot on. Their nomenclature in terms of types of hauntings is used consistently by paranormal investigators today.
The book is 30 or 40 years old but I don't know another like it. Most things that I have read since then are derivative from the Warren book.

I'd read it again. And I'd recommend it with a few warnings. Their beliefs about Wicca are all wrong and not all witches serve the devil. Most do not believe in the devil.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
In my opinion, Ed and Lorraine Warren were charlatans, but go ahead and read it if you think it'll help.
I'll add my two cents here.

A Vancouver, BC police officer wrote a series of articles regarding 'spritual fraudsters', which I always recommend to those that are looking for clarity.

Witchvox Index: Main Page

Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM

170 posts, read 193,953 times
i feel ed and lorraine are legit. demons do exist and come under the guise of friendly spirits to get into your lives. we need to be able to fight them once they get here. read the book and form your own conclusions.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen1 View Post
i feel ed and lorraine are legit. demons do exist and come under the guise of friendly spirits to get into your lives. we need to be able to fight them once they get here. read the book and form your own conclusions.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Warrens' most famous case, the Amityville Horror, has been questioned by critics. According to Benjamin Radford, the story was "refuted by eyewitnesses, investigations and forensic evidence".[8] Lawyer William Weber reportedly stated that he, Jay Anson and the occupants "invented" the horror story "over many bottles of wine".[9]

Horror author Ray Garton who wrote an account of the alleged haunting of the Snedeker family in Southington, Connecticut later called into question the veracity of the accounts contained in his book, saying, "The family involved, which was going through some serious problems like alcoholism and drug addiction, could not keep their story straight, and I became very frustrated; it's hard writing a non-fiction book when all the people involved are telling you different stories."[10]
I applaud you for your open-mindedness in suggesting that we draw our own conclusions. I'm still going to be skeptical of Ed and Lorraine's claims, but that's just my own cautious nature.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
There is some truth to the saying: "Speak of the devil and the devil cometh". Be careful with that stuff.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
What do you think of any group that has turned demonology into a business venture?
The Warrens' greatest claim to fame, the "Amityville horror" is a fraud, take that for what it's worth.

snopes.com: The Amityville Horror

Last edited by Dd714; 10-28-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
I personally would read anything written by Keith or Carl Johnson (formally of TAPS/Ghost Hunters) on the subject of demons..

Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Everything I've read about the Warrens makes me skeptical in the extreme. I'm certainly no expert on their stuff, but in every case they're involved in, they always end up walking away with lots of money. Even folks who are sympathetic to them (like the Smurls) will admit that Lorraine came to them and said, "Tell your story and you'll make a lot of money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal