Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 01:21 PM

16,006 posts, read 10,570,841 times

Advertisements

My life has been peppered with such realizations. A lot of it has to do with dates. It really isn't uncommon for you to know people born on the same day but to have them born in the same year is a little odd. My wife and sister-in-law are one example -- same day and year, also the same state but not town. I had two random life insurance agents with two companies at the same time -- both shared my birthday and one the same year and state. There are other examples going back years. I was once talking about a backpacking trip up to a remote mountain lake in Wyoming and a person in the group had been to the very same spot a couple years after my visit.

I find encounters with passengers on trains are sometimes very curious. I was in a dining car on a cross-country trip, and, with open seating, you chat with a stranger at your table most of the time. On one occasion I was eating lunch and talking to a lady on a trip from her home on Hawaii (the island) and we were traveling across New Mexico. She was telling me about the plants and birds she sees at home and what it is like to live there. Another woman passenger sitting across the aisle at a different table was obviously listening and finally said she was also from Hawaii. It turned out that they lived about two blocks away from each other, had each left home on different days for different trips and destinations, but ended up in the same dining car at the same time going through New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 07:53 PM

11,933 posts, read 8,260,020 times
I have these experiences, too. Mine often center around unusual words seen or thought and heard at the same time. I've always loved language and words and when I was a preschooler, I thought I should have a secret word that belonged to me alone, that nobody else knew.

So I invented the most unique word I could think of - elimosinary. That would be my word. I didn't have a definition for it.

It was only a couple of years ago I ran into the word eleemosynary, pronounced the way my word was pronounced. One of its meanings is "given in charity." Having always placed a high value on generosity I felt quite satisfied that I had chosen a good word, plucked from the ether by a child's mind, but synchronistically apt for me.

I'm familiar with Jung and much later in life how the world of quantum physics is demonstrating what he intuited. It has an ancient history in Hinduism. There are some interesting lectures given on the subject by Indian physics people.

I don't know that I attribute any particular meaning to the experience but I like to think that it's a message from the Universe that I am in the flow, the collective unconscious, and I find that reassuring.

I suspect party poopers like Dawkins, who wouldn't know a spiritual experience if it knocked him flat, will eventually be the one who has demonstrated a most unscientific sense of overconfidence and narrow-mindedness.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:02 PM

23,541 posts, read 69,994,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have these experiences, too. Mine often center around unusual words seen or thought and heard at the same time. I've always loved language and words and when I was a preschooler, I thought I should have a secret word that belonged to me alone, that nobody else knew.

So I invented the most unique word I could think of - elimosinary. That would be my word. I didn't have a definition for it.

It was only a couple of years ago I ran into the word eleemosynary, pronounced the way my word was pronounced. One of its meanings is "given in charity." Having always placed a high value on generosity I felt quite satisfied that I had chosen a good word, plucked from the ether by a child's mind, but synchronistically apt for me.

I'm familiar with Jung and much later in life how the world of quantum physics is demonstrating what he intuited. It has an ancient history in Hinduism. There are some interesting lectures given on the subject by Indian physics people.

I don't know that I attribute any particular meaning to the experience but I like to think that it's a message from the Universe that I am in the flow, the collective unconscious, and I find that reassuring.

I suspect party poopers like Dawkins, who wouldn't know a spiritual experience if it knocked him flat, will eventually be the one who has demonstrated a most unscientific sense of overconfidence and narrow-mindedness.
Nicely put.

Yes, the early Hindu concepts mesh well. Or, as Grace Slick once sung:

https://genius.com/Jefferson-starship-hyperdrive-lyrics

There is a massive amount of mixed metaphor and confused thought in that song and lyrics, which make it nonsensical, but if you understand Jung and/or quantum physics, some of the song briefly hits upon a few basic concepts. Not all, not in obvious ways, and it is impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't already understand much more than is needed for any explanation.

"As if I have always been here before, or as if I am still to be born." Interesting.

"As always, should any member of your team be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge of your actions. And Mr. Chickpea, the next time you go on holiday, please be good enough to let us know where you're going. This message will self-destruct in five seconds."

Old 12-25-2022, 07:49 PM

16,006 posts, read 10,570,841 times
Speaking of vacations, my large vacation experiences, going back to 1975 were so marked by news events that we thought that the FBI should be monitoring our movements. It started with Jimmy Hoffa vanishing and continued with a stock market crash, assassinations of Anwar Sadat and others, wars and invasions, earthquakes and hurricanes, JFK Jr. plane crash, Princess Diana car wreck. We thought that it was over, but we got to Ireland the day after their first Covid case turned up. I just think that those are individual coincidences but taken together it seems creepy. Small road trips or short trips don't have the same problem.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:17 PM

8,445 posts, read 10,864,390 times
Obviously synchronicity is another physic ability some of us have.
Many times I have thought about someone whom I had not seen for some time, and during that day I would come across them in my travels.
Two other events are worth putting in this post.

A few Years ago, I was walking my dog in the park we go to every day, and for no reason at all, I thought of an old time actor named Walter Brennan.
He had done a couple of recordings, one of them titled "old Rivers".
Maybe some of you have heard of Mr Brennan, and that song.
I think it was done in the late fifties or early sixties (not sure).
When I got back to my truck for the short ride home ,as soon as the radio came on, it was playing that song.

One other event happened recently.
A friend of mine took a trip to Italy for two months.
We didn't communicate at all while he was gone.
When he returned he sad he had met a girl there, and spent time with her.
I asked if her name was Monica, and he wondered how I knew her name, and I also described what she looked like .
He was amazed as to how I was able to know these things about her.
When he told me of her, I had an immediate vision of her, and somehow knew her name.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:38 PM

67 posts, read 43,644 times
CALGUY: These are very similar to my experiences! I will wake up with what I call my "first thought" and it is often of a person I've not seen in years. It will be just hours later the same day and that person will text or email me or someone will mention that they just died.

I have many unexplained experiences but these are by far the most common.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:27 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,316,132 times
I’m not sure if this counts as synchronicity but here goes. A couple of days ago, I was driving to work and got gas along the way. I went back in the car and my AM talk radio station was on. The volume really was low and couldn’t really hear it but I felt like it was 1990 and was wishing it was Howard Stern, which I used to listen to back then in the mornings. Then I turned it louder so o could hear it. I heard the host say the name “Howard”. I was like, huh? Then he played an recording of Howard Stern interviewing him from back then in the 90s. I couldn’t believe it because I haven’t even thought of Howard Stern in over a decade, at the least. Either way, I definitely did not hear his name until after I had those thoughts. That was really weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal