U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Montreal
799 posts, read 982,810 times
Reputation: 372

Advertisements

In stories of people in a coma and then waking up from it and subsequently [at least struggling to] recover, why don't I often hear about near death experiences as part of their narrative? Is it because many people in comas simply don't have near death experiences (NDEs), out of body experiences, etc.? Or is it because even if they do have such experiences, they don't want to ruin the narrative of coma-and-then-recovery by inserting NDEs into the mix, or consider the NDEs quite secondary to the story of subsequent recovery, or are afraid about revealing that piece to the public for any reason? Or any or all of these reasons?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,202,487 times
Reputation: 828
I have always thought that NDE and Coma are not the same thing.
Comas, you lose consciousness and are basically in a deep, un-waking sleep. But an NDE, IMO, is a few steps farther. You are literally NEAR death.

I think NDE's are very interesting because when we hear about them the stories are usually pretty consistent, but I don't think we hear about them often because I think it's rare that one gets so close to death that they can actually live in death (so to speak) and still come back to this world
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal
799 posts, read 982,810 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I have always thought that NDE and Coma are not the same thing.
Comas, you lose consciousness and are basically in a deep, un-waking sleep. But an NDE, IMO, is a few steps farther. You are literally NEAR death.
But I thought I've heard of some people who had been comatose who reported one or more NDEs while lying in a coma. Take Bob Woodruff (the ABC broadcast news journalist), for example!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
 
11,157 posts, read 9,057,032 times
Reputation: 18378
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
In stories of people in a coma and then waking up from it and subsequently [at least struggling to] recover, why don't I often hear about near death experiences as part of their narrative?

I agree with T-Rob123 that comas and brushes with death are frequently two different things.
That aside when you say you "don't often hear" about comatose persons having an NDE, it makes me wonder to what extent you seek out such accounts? Mainstream media rarely reports these, especially if the person is not famous.

A good source is NDERF.org, a site run by the Near Death Experience Research Foundation. It's sister site, Oberf.org deals with out-of-body experiences that may or may not be near-death related. Both sites allow submissions of such experiences from all over the world, and they're updated frequently. If you read through them, you might realize that your paradigm is too narrow and limited re the extent and conditions under which such experiences are reported. Many who talk about the experiences express disappoint that others in their lives don't want to hear them.

I had a spontaneous out-of-body (not near-death) experience 44 years ago when I was 21. I was an atheist at the time, not ill or on drugs or medication, did not meditate, did not indulge in any new-age thinking or practices, or do any of the things that people normally associate with such events. I related it to many (20-30) people in the years following. Very few seemed interested and after I turned 50 or so I quit talking about it, although I continued to ponder it and it did affect my life view. I became a spiritual seeker.

Then 2 years ago this month, I had another one. By this time, largely as a result of the initial OOBE, I did (do) maintain a spiritual practice that includes regular meditation. But I wasn't meditating at the moment the OOBE happened. And like the first time, I wasn't ill or on drugs.

My first OOBE story is in the OBERF archives, I don't care to point to it there or repeat it here. There are many stories there similar to mine.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-28-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
 
652 posts, read 749,593 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
But I thought I've heard of some people who had been comatose who reported one or more NDEs while lying in a coma. Take Bob Woodruff (the ABC broadcast news journalist), for example!
David Blume who reported from the front lines of the Gulf War 2 was killed by a brain hemorrhage or aneurysm. The spirit world didn't like him reporting live from the war zone so the lords of war ended his life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 AM
 
Location: kcmo
712 posts, read 2,016,112 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
In stories of people in a coma and then waking up from it and subsequently [at least struggling to] recover, why don't I often hear about near death experiences as part of their narrative? Is it because many people in comas simply don't have near death experiences (NDEs), out of body experiences, etc.? Or is it because even if they do have such experiences, they don't want to ruin the narrative of coma-and-then-recovery by inserting NDEs into the mix, or consider the NDEs quite secondary to the story of subsequent recovery, or are afraid about revealing that piece to the public for any reason? Or any or all of these reasons?
Hmm.. I was in a coma of sorts..

aka I went to the hospital at the end October.. last year and woke up about the 2nd week of November.. so it was about 7-14 days.. (don't know the true number )

Quote:
Is it because many people in comas simply don't have near death experiences (NDEs), out of body experiences, etc.?
It's because they don't remember.. I only remember one thing that would be considered odd to people and that was something like floating up in the air and working on something

When you go to sleep do you remember?

Because the same place you go when you sleep.. is the same place you go with a NDE or if your in the hospital sleeping cause they say you had a stroke or whatever

NDE's aren't truly special.. there just something that people give themselves that is special

We all go home every night.. ask yourself why you don't remember going home/dreams..? or intention to have memories of home.. and eventually you'll get their.. probably
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Montreal
799 posts, read 982,810 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
It's because they don't remember.. I only remember one thing that would be considered odd to people and that was something like floating up in the air and working on something

When you go to sleep do you remember?

Because the same place you go when you sleep.. is the same place you go with a NDE or if your in the hospital sleeping cause they say you had a stroke or whatever

NDE's aren't truly special.. there just something that people give themselves that is special

We all go home every night.. ask yourself why you don't remember going home/dreams..? or intention to have memories of home.. and eventually you'll get their.. probably
I guess, then, that everybody who's in a coma, who's had a stroke, or is in surgery, etc. etc. does have NDEs and stuff like that, but it's just that many such people don't remember these clearly or at all and only some such people remember them vividly enough so that they could explain these if/when they get back to consciousness?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: kcmo
712 posts, read 2,016,112 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I guess, then, that everybody who's in a coma, who's had a stroke, or is in surgery, etc. etc. does have NDEs and stuff like that, but it's just that many such people don't remember these clearly or at all and only some such people remember them vividly enough so that they could explain these if/when they get back to consciousness?
hmm let's see what abraham has to say?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top