U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM

376 posts, read 705,465 times

Advertisements

I did a search on this subject because I'm sure it has come up on this forum but didn't see anything (not very good using the search feature) so I will ask.

I think most paranormal shows are fake. But I always thought that some of the stuff on "Ghost Hunters" might not be as fake since they were recording the activity and took the stance that they wanted to debunk unusual happenings. Some of the stuff they caught on tape was pretty creepy...if it was real.

What is the opinion in the paranormal community? Are the GH crew just a bunch of fakers like all the others or is there a modicum of reality to their program?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM

501 posts, read 911,285 times
I don't know, I've been watching it since the first season and there have been a few controversial episodes. One was way back when they were in NYC and someone grabbed a box of their electronic stuff while they were unloading the van. The crook barely sprinted away and one of the members went after them not moving any faster. The crook lightly set the box down right side up and continued on. The GH member took the box back to the van. The problems were, the crook would have been at a fast run, not a slow sprint. They would have thrown the box to make the guy chasing him go to it and not the crook. Took a few weeks but they did finally admit it was staged for the cameras after denying it.

Another episode they were at a prison. A dark mass ran up to one of the cameras setup then turn back and moved away from the camera. When the dark shape turned to retreat it looked like someone wearing a dark cloth over their body and you make out maybe a foot/leg when the cloth moved. To this day they say they didn't stage it but said Maybe someone entered the prison and did it.

Usually when they see something, the cameras are not pointed in that direction so the audience has to take their word that they saw something.

There have been a few episodes that got me thinking but most are ho-hum. A lot of their EVPs you really have to use your imagination to hear what they say they hear.

I would take any episode with a grain of salt but it is ok entertainment.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Yeah, the episode you mentioned is one I was thinking about. Most episodes are ho hum or easily explainable. I especially dislike the episodes where they have the flashlight out and ask questions, and the "spirit" is communicating by flashing the flashlight. Yeah right.

I don't believe the Irish guy who always shows up on GH International either. He always has new gadgets or photography tricks that supposedly show evidence of paranormal activity.

But the prison figure you reference is truly creepy to me. Maybe it was faked, but it was fascinating. There was another episode at a FL lighthouse where a chair moved several feet after the guy left the room.

Maybe part of me just wants to believe

Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,180 posts, read 62,191,877 times
I think each viewer has to make up their own mind how much might be real or fake, but to me it's a lot more believable than some of the other ghost shows, and it's entertaining, fake or not. It seems like if it was fake, they wouldn't have so many investigations where they find nothing. I started watching it only after my wife and I both had interesting unexplainable experiences at a 125 year old hotel. After leaving and doing some research on it, we found that we were not the only ones.

Local News | Old Port Townsend hotels known for ghosts | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM

13,649 posts, read 22,285,949 times
I don't think you can go somewhere and just have something happen. And to spend the kind of money they must -- if they go somewhere something had better happen.

I think the first years were far less contrived -- because they would often find a real reason something seemed scary. But then they had to find something everywhere.

My favorite is when the goofball guy who freaked over everything and left and came back and then left again (can't remember his name) went into a tunnel with another guy. The freaky guy freaked and took off running and the second guy went running with him. Jay was chastising the scared guy, and then looked at the second guy and said "and you!" The second guy said -- but you also tell us to stay together, because it doesn't count unless we both see it....

Jay had to stop yelling.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM

501 posts, read 911,285 times
I grew up with my 6 sisters and 2 brothers in a haunted house. Things didn't happen daily so the odds of bringing, for example, friends over to see the ghost or it's activity would in most cases be a waste of time because the odds of something happening were pretty slim. So when any of these paranormal groups go to places to investigate there's a better chance of finding nothing than there is finding something.

That said, I watch GH purely for entertainment value. I'm not saying it's fake, but on the other hand I'm not saying it's real. It's reality TV and we all know those types of shows can not be believed completely.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,285,643 times
100% of the time that supposedly something supernatural happens in a haunted house there is a perfectly rational explanation. Often what is just supernatural is just between the person's ears or lack of the substance between the ears as is the case with people who claim to see ghosties.

Amityville for example. Despite that being a hoax you still have people swearing the movie was based on real events. Mind you what went on was creepy enough with the murders but to fake things with a murderers cooperation and people to this day still believing the hoax just shows how gullible the people who want to believe in ghosts are.

Often I don't need the ghost tales. What really went on such as all the real death, torture, murders is fascinating enough without adding bumps in the night.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,397,871 times
I used to watch the show, now I can't stand it. When they whip out that "K2" meter or whatever it's called I'm like a flashing light means NOTHING to me. I don't care you explain what it is and why it flashes.... STILL CRAP.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,405,761 times
I actually owned a "haunted house". Old family home, Grandmother died in the home. She had been seen after her passing by various family members, including my wife, my daughter,etc. My son lived there when going to college, and was often awakened at night by sounds of people talking,laughing, playing dominos etc.

We finally sold the home. The family, not related to us, that bought the home didn't last a year, bought by another of our family.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I used to watch the show, now I can't stand it. When they whip out that "K2" meter or whatever it's called I'm like a flashing light means NOTHING to me. I don't care you explain what it is and why it flashes.... STILL CRAP.
Exactly! I hate that K2 meter. The only thing the K2 meter proves is that there's a faulty wire in that flashlight. I don't believe for a minute that a ghost is causing the K2 meter to flash. I hate it when they bring the dog in, too. A barking dog doesn't mean there's a ghost in the room.

Pizza haven't watched GH on a regular basis since Grant left. And in recent years, I just sped through the show so I could see the "evidence." Not so much the voice evidence because they can interpret what they hear in any way they want, but the video evidence can sometimes be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal