Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

How is this an "unexplained mystery" or "paranormal?"

What you're talking about it true, but is not that new or amazing. It's basic psychology.

We change our minds, we change the way we experience the world.

Unfortunately, for most people, they choose to look outside of themselves and find conflict instead of looking within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I read another board where people talk about family and emotions. A lot of the time, people are seeking magic words to make the other person treat them properly. There are no magic words. Sounds like you learned that early, Owl.

I have learned from there how to see a person who is manipulative, and how to treat them so they don't get into your head. I got one now where I work, and I practice in my head what to do and what to say. It's working (although I do feel like this means she's in my head) and I feel as though I'm in more control and she's losing hers.
And some of us learned that via therapy after many years of walking into the wall. I wasted so much time trying to figuring out the "right" thing to say to my now-ex-husband or how to say it the "right" way so that I could get through to him and make him change his ways. It was grandiosity to think that I had some sort of special ability--if I could just figure it out--to make a person be different from what he is.

We are long divorced, but we have a relationship because we are parents to an adult daughter. We get along pretty well, partly because now I don't expect him to be anything other than what he is.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
We get along pretty well, partly because now I don't expect him to be anything other than what he is.
I think that this is where many people run into trouble, especially women.
Nothing anyone does will change another person. The extent of our 'ability' is to only convey our thoughts, perspective and feelings about something. We can also express what we would like to happen, what we wish we could experience. However, when hopes and wishes become expectations in the hands of another person, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.
We can say the 'right thing the right way' until we turn blue- it won't do anything to change someone who is not willing to change.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is this an "unexplained mystery" or "paranormal?"

What you're talking about it true, but is not that new or amazing. It's basic psychology.

We change our minds, we change the way we experience the world.

Unfortunately, for most people, they choose to look outside of themselves and find conflict instead of looking within.
Yes, this shoulda/coulda been in psychology.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Coulda- but for many the concept of being the master of ones emotions and thoughts is an 'unexplained mystery'.
Or even how to accomplsh it is a mystery for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal