U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM

752 posts, read 1,284,455 times

Advertisements

Over on the House forum, there is a thread about Thomas Kincade and art/decor that makes one cringe. Thomas Kincade and other things that make you cringe

That reminded me of my mom's Thomas Kincade original painting that used to hang in my bedroom. I think that painting had some bad juju (sp?).

A little back story - my mom and (now ex) step-father bought my current house as an investment. They fixed it up, upgraded the windows, siding, electrical, plumbing, etc. They fought a LOT during that time frame and my mom said she never, ever liked the house - hated it, in fact. Mom moved back to California and my step-father continued to come back and forth between Cali and Texas. At one point, step-father's mistress stayed here (long story and it was a mess when Mom found out). After that, the house sat empty for a couple of years except for a week or two here and there when my step-father was in town. They eventually divorced. During that process, they gave me the house as my early inheritance. Mom still had a lot of stuff in here, including that painting. She was having a rough time emotionally and kept putting off getting her stuff out. I was running out of time because my youngest daughter was about to start high school and I didn't want to change her in the middle of the school year. Against my better judgement, we moved in about two weeks after the school year started, despite a lot of Mom's stuff still here.

Thomas Kincade is not my taste but this particular painting was okay to look at. I think it was of a street scene in Carmel, CA. The atmosphere in the bedroom - well actually the whole house - never felt right but I didn't pay much attention to it. We had a lot of stress in our home and hubby and I almost broke up during that time frame. We had lots of stuff breaking or going wrong and the tension was pretty heavy here.

About 18 months after we moved in, Mom finally came and got the painting and a few other things of hers out of the house. As soon as she got the painting, the bedroom felt so much better. It was like night and day the difference it made. I think it absorbed all the emotional turmoil? Can a painting do that?

I also got rid of the bed frame they left (headboard, foot board, rails - we had our own mattress set) and that also helped. We painted almost the entire interior of the house about 3 years ago and, again, that made a huge difference in the atmosphere of the house. Every time I get rid of something Mom had here in the house, it feels lighter. Also, since we got rid of the painting, bed frame, and repainted, life is a lot less stressful, even though our current income is roughly half what it was a few years ago when all this was going on.

Has anyone else had that happen? Get rid of something and your home "feels" better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,733,902 times
Not the image of the painting (in this situation) but te painting as an object, just like all the other objects. Objects absorb energy and the turmoil and drama between your mother and husband was embedded in those objects.
As an artist/painter myself, all my art is emotionally and spiritually charged. It is the source of my inspiration as well as part of the over all process. If I'm not 'feeling it', I can't paint even if I try. Sure I can go through the motions and do the technical skill stuff, but the vision I have for the piece is not unfolding, it becomes frustrating.
It is possible (and I have yet to read the discussion linked) that Kincade was dealing with 'issues' when he was working in the painting. Which would add to the testy energy.

I'm not a fan of his work either. To me it is 'formula' art, nothing spectacular. Indeed he developed a style and body of work never done before which lead to his success.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM

256 posts, read 297,907 times
I believe that objects can hold good or bad energy. I don't see why a painting couldn't, I know that just moving one or two objects around can completely change the mood of a room.

Like Feng Shui, kinda?

Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM

13,603 posts, read 22,233,197 times
It was probably not the painting, but all the memories that went with it. We once had a roommate who was nothing but trouble and after the last "shot fired over the bow" she moved out.

But left her piano.

And then demanded we keep the doors closed to keep it away from our cats.

I was patient at first, until I realized she wasn't coming to get it -- because she wanted to keep a presence in our house. Well -- mama ain't having none of that crap.

She called one day, and while she was talking to hubs (we no longer spoke), I picked up the extension and said "I bought a hatchet. If that piano isn't out of here in a week, I'm going to teach myself how to make matchsticks." And hung up.

It was gone in less than a week. I spent my week vacation repainting that room and taking it back. And then I replaced the front door locks.

After another 3 months passed, she called to ask when she could drop off our key. She spit tacks when my husband told her I had changed the locks, she could just toss it out.

Yep -- changed the whole atmosphere in our house for the better. It wasn't the piano, it was getting rid of the essence of bad roommate.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,299,140 times
Fascinating. I definitely believe an object can be a source of bad juju or good energy. I am looking forward to the (hopefully soon) day when 90% of what's in my house will be removed. A few things -in example a heavy oak bed - I thought about putting out at the curb with a "free" sign on them. But I am truly afraid that someone else will just inherit that bad juju. Maybe I should have a bonfire & be done with it.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM

11,544 posts, read 14,577,283 times
This guy?

Shop Thomas Kinkade - Online Shop

Seems like some nice paintings. Doubt any here can cause bad juju. Serial killer art like John Wayne Gacys creepy clowns-Probably.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 AM

25,713 posts, read 17,150,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Over on the House forum, there is a thread about Thomas Kincade and art/decor that makes one cringe. Thomas Kincade and other things that make you cringe

That reminded me of my mom's Thomas Kincade original painting that used to hang in my bedroom. I think that painting had some bad juju (sp?).

A little back story - my mom and (now ex) step-father bought my current house as an investment. They fixed it up, upgraded the windows, siding, electrical, plumbing, etc. They fought a LOT during that time frame and my mom said she never, ever liked the house - hated it, in fact. Mom moved back to California and my step-father continued to come back and forth between Cali and Texas. At one point, step-father's mistress stayed here (long story and it was a mess when Mom found out). After that, the house sat empty for a couple of years except for a week or two here and there when my step-father was in town. They eventually divorced. During that process, they gave me the house as my early inheritance. Mom still had a lot of stuff in here, including that painting. She was having a rough time emotionally and kept putting off getting her stuff out. I was running out of time because my youngest daughter was about to start high school and I didn't want to change her in the middle of the school year. Against my better judgement, we moved in about two weeks after the school year started, despite a lot of Mom's stuff still here.

Thomas Kincade is not my taste but this particular painting was okay to look at. I think it was of a street scene in Carmel, CA. The atmosphere in the bedroom - well actually the whole house - never felt right but I didn't pay much attention to it. We had a lot of stress in our home and hubby and I almost broke up during that time frame. We had lots of stuff breaking or going wrong and the tension was pretty heavy here.

About 18 months after we moved in, Mom finally came and got the painting and a few other things of hers out of the house. As soon as she got the painting, the bedroom felt so much better. It was like night and day the difference it made. I think it absorbed all the emotional turmoil? Can a painting do that?

I also got rid of the bed frame they left (headboard, foot board, rails - we had our own mattress set) and that also helped. We painted almost the entire interior of the house about 3 years ago and, again, that made a huge difference in the atmosphere of the house. Every time I get rid of something Mom had here in the house, it feels lighter. Also, since we got rid of the painting, bed frame, and repainted, life is a lot less stressful, even though our current income is roughly half what it was a few years ago when all this was going on.

Has anyone else had that happen? Get rid of something and your home "feels" better?

I don't think it was the painting as much as the bad associations with it, your mother's unhappiness, and the situation that developed around it.

Sometimes the most gooey sweet and banal images can take on an opposite effect than what was intended for them. Kinkade's sweetly empty fantasies could do that; many of his houses look like those in fairy tales where there's always something dangerous lurking in the forest.

I have seen some Kinkades, however, where the 'light' in the windows was a blaze orange color that looked weirdly terrifying, as it vaguely looked like the inside of the house was on fire that hadn't erupted outside the house yet.

I have owned a painting from childhood that had the opposite effect on me; it's an amateur painting of a moose that someone gave my folks, and it's a pretty bad painting, but the landscape surrounding the moose always had a calming effect on me, even though it was very amateurish. While i don't love it as much as I used to, I still like it even though no one else does. Maybe it's because I still have pleasant memories of how looking at it lulled me to sleep when I was a child.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:06 PM

752 posts, read 1,284,455 times
Here is the painting. It's called "Carmel, Sunset On Ocean Avenue." It was an original Kinkade so I am kind of wondering if the "bad juju" came from a combination of things - Mom's unhappiness while staying here, Kinkade's possible personal issues (I read that he had some in later life but not sure of the timing when this was painted) like OwlKaMyst suggested, and Tallysmom's suggestion that it might not be the painting as much as getting rid of Mom's stuff/reminders and making the house more "ours."

I have heard that items can become infused with the emotional turmoil of what's going on around them. Have any of you walked into a room where there was a lot of tension and it just felt "off"? I used to get that a lot when I cleaned houses - some houses just didn't feel like "happy" places.

Whatever the cause, I can honestly say the room feels so much "lighter" and better without that painting. Hmmm, I wonder if I had a reproduction of the same painting hung up in there if the energy would change?

Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,733,902 times
I have heard that items can become infused with the emotional turmoil of what's going on around them. Have any of you walked into a room where there was a lot of tension and it just felt "off"?
Totally! In houses for sure. I sat down in a chair and was just so uneasy feeling, come to find out the chair belonged to a woman whose husband would constantly emotionally abuse her, it was her crying/comfort chair. And I have had times when a certain person (unknown to me who they were) enter into the area I was in and I got instantly nauseous. I removed myself from the area and felt much better. My husband came looking for me and when he found me I told him what happened and pointed out the guy. Hubs then informed me of all the shady and nasty things that the guy had done.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,080 posts, read 61,991,364 times
My first "experience", one that my wife shared, started with a painting we passed while going up the stairs at about midnight at a 125 year old hotel in Port Townsend, WA.

'Lady in Blue' said to wander hotel's halls | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal