Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times

Advertisements

Ok I have been a very vivid dreamer for all of my life until I moved to CA. I lived all of my life in Houston and a bit over 4 years ago I moved to Northern California. My dream world pretty much came to a halt after moving here. I thought maybe it is true when you get older you dream less. However every time I go back to Houston to visit family I dream just as I used to. My dreams are so active and so real that it is mind blowing most mornings when I awake.

But when I come back to CA no more vivid dreams. Then over the Christmas holidays I went to Kauai for 11 days. I dreamt very vivid and active dreams the entire time I was there...as soon as I fall asleep I dream like crazy. Then back to CA and it stops.

So of course I can't help but wonder why?!?!?!?

The only thing similar between Houston and Kauai is the heat and humidity. What could be the reason for such drastic differences in my dream world? Could it be heat and humidity that causes me to dream so vividly? I have traveled all of my life and have never encountered the intensity of dreams that I have experienced in Houston or Kauai.

I miss my dream world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
No one has a thought about this?

It is certainly peculiar that I don't dream the way I used to since moving to CA. The only place I have visited that has the same high humidity level as Houston is Kauai. And the vivid and very lively dreams that I had every night in Kauai were on the same scale as what I experienced for 45 years in Houston..

When I get back to N. CA it stops instantly. I find it very puzzling.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,561 times
Here are some posts about lucid dreaming and the best conditions for them:

Lucid Dreaming Techniques | A World of Precognitive Dreams - YouAreDreaming.org

Wakefulness Makes Lucidity More Likely

One thing that I also found that made a difference was how high my head was propped. The most comfortable level for me is with 2 pillows but I have found that if my head is lower than that, I dream more vividly, however, it is not comfortable.

In regards to naps as mentioned in the second article, I have found that I can have very lucid dreams in naps. When one wakes up from those naps, one often feels a bit surreal (I can't think of the right word). There is something about, say, going to the beach during the day, having a nap, and then going out after that nap, one feels sort of alive in a different type of way.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Here are some posts about lucid dreaming and the best conditions for them:

Lucid Dreaming Techniques | A World of Precognitive Dreams - YouAreDreaming.org

Wakefulness Makes Lucidity More Likely

One thing that I also found that made a difference was how high my head was propped. The most comfortable level for me is with 2 pillows but I have found that if my head is lower than that, I dream more vividly, however, it is not comfortable.

In regards to naps as mentioned in the second article, I have found that I can have very lucid dreams in naps. When one wakes up from those naps, one often feels a bit surreal (I can't think of the right word). There is something about, say, going to the beach during the day, having a nap, and then going out after that nap, one feels sort of alive in a different type of way.
Thank you but I am well versed in Lucid Dreaming. Have actually achieved it as well.

My thread is about the oddity that I have always been a very vivid and lively dreamer. All of my life growing up in Houston. As soon as I moved to N. CA it stopped...and I assumed it was due to growing older. But I visit Houston every year and resume the dreams again. Return to CA and they stop. I visited Kauai for 11 days over the Christmas holidays and instantly began dreaming like I do in Houston. Retuned to CA and it stops. The only thing Kauai and Houston have in common is the high humidity. Could this be the trigger for my dreams? My mother still lives in Houston as does my brother. Both of them are also very vivid dreamers.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
If you keep a dream journal and analyze each of them in the context of the previous day or two's events you can almost always identify the triggers. In your case, a change of scene means vivid dreaming.

BTW, vivid dreams and lucid dreams are two different things ...

Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
I think you could have something with the temp and humidity.
Certain foods and activities can effect out dreaming, and as has been mentioned, the position we sleep in.
I know that I tend to have more dreams around a full moon.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
If you keep a dream journal and analyze each of them in the context of the previous day or two's events you can almost always identify the triggers. In your case, a change of scene means vivid dreaming.

BTW, vivid dreams and lucid dreams are two different things ...
I am sort of baffled why the only two posters continue to mention lucid dreaming. I am not talking about Lucid Dreaming in this thread. I know what Lucid Dreaming is.

I never once mentioned it anywhere in this thread when posting my initial post.

What I am describing is the change in my dreams habits since moving to CA.

The only time I experience my old dream habits is when I visit Houston and this past Dec while in Kauai.

It is a very pronounced change in dreaming habits. It is very odd to me why this is happening.

My normal dreaming habit is to have very vivid, very active and very real like dreams. That is what I am accustomed to...i.e. The dreams are so real that when I wake up I recall every single detail of my dreams. I don't keep a dream journal because it would take me hours every morning to write it all down. I can recall dreams I had years ago. A dream journal is good for people who are trying to learn Lucid Dreaming. I am not trying to learn how to Lucid Dream. Been there done that.

The oddity is I have lost my normal dream habit since moving to CA four years ago.

I return to my normal dreaming habit whenever I visit Houston and when I visited Kauai in December

Anyway to say the least it is odd and I wish I could experience my old dream patterns here in CA but will have to wait until I visit Houston this year....sigh

Old 02-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I think you could have something with the temp and humidity.
Certain foods and activities can effect out dreaming, and as has been mentioned, the position we sleep in.
I know that I tend to have more dreams around a full moon.
YAY someone who actually understands what I am saying

I agree the only thing it could possibly be is the heat and humidity. I did not even consider this until I visited Kauai in Dec and then it clicked. It is the only thing that makes sense to me since the only thing in common is the humidity.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
I am sort of baffled why the only two posters continue to mention lucid dreaming. I am not talking about Lucid Dreaming in this thread. I know what Lucid Dreaming is.
Because there is only 14 hours left for the most informative poster contest?
Or maybe it's just a comprehension problem- Mercury did just come out of retrograde.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Because there is only 14 hours left for the most informative poster contest?
Or maybe it's just a comprehension problem- Mercury did just come out of retrograde.
LOL!

Maybe I should purchase a strong humidifier and use it when I sleep. I miss my old dream world so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal