U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM
 
Location: NY
774 posts, read 796,668 times
Reputation: 581

Advertisements

Wouldn't all past memories be blocked in one's present life?

What would be the spiritual reasons why someone (say a child) began recalling a former life, identity, history of that life, who his family members were etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,310,236 times
Reputation: 3159
Who knows why children remember. Most of them do forget around age 6-7 as they get more involved with their current life, so maybe that's part of it. When you are young you are "fresh", not really dug into your current life yet. Some have theorized that the children who very clearly remember their past life and believe themselves to be someone else reincarnated quickly, meaning they left the past life and dropped straight into the new one, rather then hanging out in the spiritual dimensions first.

Hypnosis is how grown people remember past lives, if that's what they are remembering.

One reason I've heard, is that remembering a past life helps us let go of our fear of death and fear in general, which in turn allows us/frees us up to achieve what we set out to do in this current life. You become more aware of your immortal self, or some such thing. This applies to grown ups being regressed back, not children so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM
 
1,873 posts, read 2,687,420 times
Reputation: 5682
I posted this previously and wish I could find where to refer you: but I was "regressed" by a psychologist many years ago and the past life regression was amazing. He took me thru this life's events - all accurate, and then the birth process, that hurt! Then, there was this marvelous peaceful blue place - no one was there. Then I was a little boy I felt, a peasant in a dirt hut with chickens pecking the floor and a large woman with a dirty long white apron was mixing something in a wooden bowl and I felt this was "ma ma". she was yelling at me about something. Then, the psychologist moved me and I went into the beautiful blue place and then I was a young girl walking with 2 other girls on a road. We were dressed in heavy maybe woolen dresses with lots of embroidery and metal things on them and some sort of headdresses. There were these 2 men, with some sort of armour but nothing I can recognize. They were riding horses and harassing us. I felt not afraid, just disgusted and hated them as I knew they were the invaders.

The psychologist kept trying to get me to recall or tell him the name of the village - I almost had it - and he moved me again. During the session, I could not, of my own will, tell the psychologist anything such as "wait wait - I almost have the name of the village"

Then, when the psychologist brought me back, I REFUSED to come back. I fought and fought against him directions to wake up. I wanted to stay in the beautiful blue place and was actually angry I had to come back here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,740,698 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Wouldn't all past memories be blocked in one's present life?

What would be the spiritual reasons why someone (say a child) began recalling a former life, identity, history of that life, who his family members were etc?
It would be thoughts coming from what is called a familiar spirit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
19,345 posts, read 14,832,777 times
Reputation: 20057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Wouldn't all past memories be blocked in one's present life?

What would be the spiritual reasons why someone (say a child) began recalling a former life,
identity, history of that life, who his family members were etc?
I don't know why some people, esp children retain memories from another life.
There are some astounding ones...I remember the one where he remembers the name of
his plane and others on the crew....I'm sure there is a You tube of it. He made the interview circuit
internationally, I think.

Only he might know the spiritual benefit.
It benefited me hearing it.

For me? I have just posted of my personal memories of 2 past lives (and wowsa!)...spiritual benefit?
Deep humility and a true effort to just stop already making these 2 particular
same mistakes that are hurtful to others, and thus, my soul's progress...to where?
Purity...Divine Love...
Purity of heart is the key to the Higher Celestial Realms.*


* I have probably read everything available written from and about the Other Side...that
is the lingo used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,751 posts, read 6,741,439 times
Reputation: 6078
Q: Wouldn't all past memories be blocked in one's present life?
Yes and No. As has been mentioned, children seem to be more 'susceptible' to remembering past lives. I feel that we have had a past life, that we do indeed remember it. Now recalling those memories is a whole different ballgame. Can anyone think back to their second week as a high school freshman? I remember my first day, but only what I was wearing. I remember a handful of events from the whole year. But could I go back and write a dairy? No.
However, someone says something or something happens and this brings up a memory from that time period.....and then we forget it again.
If we can't recall every moment of our lives in this lifetime, why would it be any different for past lives?
It has been my experience when remembering my past lives, it is triggered by something in that moment. I was reading a historical fiction book and I felt this (familiar) sensation of a mix or mild electrocution, spinning & floating, and then came the visions. What ever I was reading triggered the memory.

What would be the spiritual reasons why someone (say a child) began recalling a former life, identity, history of that life, who his family members were etc?

If one takes the Hindu approach, it's so we don't keep making the same mistakes. And through each life time that we do learn, we reach enlightenment.
Minus the enlightenment part, before I knew about the Hindu traditions, that how I saw the purpose. It is something to guide us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:14 PM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,280,872 times
Reputation: 3845
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Who knows why children remember. Most of them do forget around age 6-7 as they get more involved with their current life, so maybe that's part of it. When you are young you are "fresh", not really dug into your current life yet. Some have theorized that the children who very clearly remember their past life and believe themselves to be someone else reincarnated quickly, meaning they left the past life and dropped straight into the new one, rather then hanging out in the spiritual dimensions first.
I think you just answered my question, but I'll ask anyway to get others' opinions as well: When our physical husk gives out, our spirit lives on as a form of energy. The spirit then moves on to a higher realm, meets loved ones there, etc., and we can contact them either through our own dreams/visitations or other experiences that are too real to discount, or through a medium (I personally believe mediumship is possible because the information I got was precise, direct, and so specific that I couldn't discount that, either). Those in our immediate family or maybe two generations back (grandmother, etc.) come through to us, which means they haven't reincarnated yet. I've never heard of anyone contacting a great-great-great-aunt.

And there lies the possible contradiction: I've also been taught and read that even those ancestors we never knew do in fact "know" US, however, and watch over us because they are in our bloodline; they surround us/prop us up spiritually when we need them, just like grandmother does. Yet we never hear from these great-great-great grandfathers. Is this because if we did, it wouldn't make any sense to us because we would not "know" or recognize them and thus be unable to learn from their messages? OR, would they most likely have already reincarnated after, say, 200 years? Which is it? Are they watching over us, or do they reincarnate within a certain time period?

I don't believe in "time" where spirit lives, but pretend for a moment that there is "time" as we know it in the spirit realm: How much time is needed or does it take to be reincarnated? It's also often been said that we write our own life plan and choose to be born to a certain person in order to be with a certain group of people. So do we get a choice to reincarnate, or does everyone automatically reincarnate eventually? Do some of us lack the advantage of choice and become ghosts due to unresolved issues in the physical realm? Can we choose to remain in the spiritual realm forever?

"Famous" people from long, long ago have said to have been contacted through mediums throughout the ages. So if a medium can contact Edgar Cayce or Jimi Hendrix or George Washington, is that only because we know who they are? Why would they choose to communicate with me or you anyway? Who are we to them? (Of course some people are frauds and not mediums, and this may be the case here.) I am very familiar with a few of my more interesting ancestors, but these people never appear in any form to me. I've even asked them to do so!

Finally, if children can and do remember a previous (or most recent) life, we contend that they can't prove it with a name, date, place, that can be researched because they've already started to "forget" those details.

It just doesn't add up, but then again, why should we expect it to fall in a perfect line, all mapped out for our convenience? We're still here on boot camp Earth, unable to comprehend all that is. I've always walked rings around these questions, but ultimately, I don't think we will ever know the answers because "we get stupid" when we arrive here on Earth, as Sylvia Browne used to say. And though she certainly had her limitations and faults, she seemed to have a lot of good, common horse sense.

I'd love to hear others' opinions. Sorry for being so long-winded, but this kind of thing has always confounded me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,275 posts, read 23,335,844 times
Reputation: 6339
Why is it that when a child has an imaginary friend it is "cute", considered normal, and encouraged yet a teenager with an imaginary friend is "on drugs" and an adult with an imaginary friend is put on drugs?

We convince toddlers that the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the boogeyman are real. Is this really any mystery why children can "remember a past life" while adults cannot?

As for why we would remember...well, if it really does happen String Theory could explain how residual energy could stick around...if and when all the kinks are worked out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,310,236 times
Reputation: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I think you just answered my question, but I'll ask anyway to get others' opinions as well: When our physical husk gives out, our spirit lives on as a form of energy. The spirit then moves on to a higher realm, meets loved ones there, etc., and we can contact them either through our own dreams/visitations or other experiences that are too real to discount, or through a medium (I personally believe mediumship is possible because the information I got was precise, direct, and so specific that I couldn't discount that, either). Those in our immediate family or maybe two generations back (grandmother, etc.) come through to us, which means they haven't reincarnated yet. I've never heard of anyone contacting a great-great-great-aunt.

And there lies the possible contradiction: I've also been taught and read that even those ancestors we never knew do in fact "know" US, however, and watch over us because they are in our bloodline; they surround us/prop us up spiritually when we need them, just like grandmother does. Yet we never hear from these great-great-great grandfathers. Is this because if we did, it wouldn't make any sense to us because we would not "know" or recognize them and thus be unable to learn from their messages? OR, would they most likely have already reincarnated after, say, 200 years? Which is it? Are they watching over us, or do they reincarnate within a certain time period?

I don't believe in "time" where spirit lives, but pretend for a moment that there is "time" as we know it in the spirit realm: How much time is needed or does it take to be reincarnated? It's also often been said that we write our own life plan and choose to be born to a certain person in order to be with a certain group of people. So do we get a choice to reincarnate, or does everyone automatically reincarnate eventually? Do some of us lack the advantage of choice and become ghosts due to unresolved issues in the physical realm? Can we choose to remain in the spiritual realm forever?

"Famous" people from long, long ago have said to have been contacted through mediums throughout the ages. So if a medium can contact Edgar Cayce or Jimi Hendrix or George Washington, is that only because we know who they are? Why would they choose to communicate with me or you anyway? Who are we to them? (Of course some people are frauds and not mediums, and this may be the case here.) I am very familiar with a few of my more interesting ancestors, but these people never appear in any form to me. I've even asked them to do so!

Finally, if children can and do remember a previous (or most recent) life, we contend that they can't prove it with a name, date, place, that can be researched because they've already started to "forget" those details.

It just doesn't add up, but then again, why should we expect it to fall in a perfect line, all mapped out for our convenience? We're still here on boot camp Earth, unable to comprehend all that is. I've always walked rings around these questions, but ultimately, I don't think we will ever know the answers because "we get stupid" when we arrive here on Earth, as Sylvia Browne used to say. And though she certainly had her limitations and faults, she seemed to have a lot of good, common horse sense.

I'd love to hear others' opinions. Sorry for being so long-winded, but this kind of thing has always confounded me.
You should read Brian Weiss's book "many lives, many masters".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,429,922 times
Reputation: 14042
I watched a movie last night that I really found interesting called "Mr Nobody" and was thinking that maybe remembered "past lives" aren't chronological lives lived before this one at all.

Perhaps they are quick glimpses into different probability paths off your own current life path. After all, if all life probabilities are theoretically possible, you could have popped up at any time and any place in the Universe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top