U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
 
5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times
Reputation: 3530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Hairy bodies is a rather un su-Saharan African thing. The sketches of her show relatively straight hair, also very un sub-Saharan African. It's us Europeans who had hairy ancestors and straightish hair. That cast some doubt on the accuracy of the sketches if she was indeed sub-Saharan African. But who can predict how a genetic throwback would turn out?
What sketches are you referring to? Are they originals by the locals? Or were they more recently made sketches based on dramatic and embellished village tales about her? Whether hairy bodies and straight hair is un Sub-Saharan African or not, genetic testing apparently shows that she was indeed Sub-Saharan African and 100% human.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, that if any of the descriptions are accurate, and not twisted over the span of over 100 years in a small remote isolated village in the middle of nowhere, then it could have been a throwback from genetic traits. Odd things like that happen from time to time, such as children who are born with what appear to be a nonfunctional tail.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
 
5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I read about this a long time ago, then also saw a show about it maybe in the last year. The show had updated information and was trying disprove the old theories. I think they dug up one of her son's bodies to test the dna? I can't remember the details, but there should be some updated dna info out there now; the show talked about it.
DNA testing has shown that Zana was 100% Sub-Saharan African and completely human. The tests involved extracting DNA from a tooth of Zana's son, Khwit, and from saliva swabs from living grandchildren. Zana might have appeared unusual, but she was not a Bigfoot nor was she from some known or unknown branch of humans, such as Neanderthal, etc. The DNA testing is said to have been done by Bryan Sykes, Professor of Human Genetics at the University of Oxford.
Bryan Sykes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Genetic Analysis – Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project « Bigfootology
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
7,028 posts, read 3,516,390 times
Reputation: 3405
The sketches in this link; The story of ‘Zana’, wild woman, has been solved through DNA analysis | Doubtful News





Khwit's facial features do seem somewhat sub-Saharan African. He does not look 50% sub-Saharan African though. That's not altogether strange. I knew a fellow who was a first generation Afro-European. He was obviously of African descent and had typical African hair but his skin was quite fair but his facial features were only partly African, somewhat similar to Khwit (although his face was rounded, unlike Khwit). Interesting!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 AM
 
5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The sketches in this link; The story of ‘Zana’, wild woman, has been solved through DNA analysis | Doubtful News





Khwit's facial features do seem somewhat sub-Saharan African. He does not look 50% sub-Saharan African though. That's not altogether strange. I knew a fellow who was a first generation Afro-European. He was obviously of African descent and had typical African hair but his skin was quite fair but his facial features were only partly African, somewhat similar to Khwit (although his face was rounded, unlike Khwit). Interesting!
Thanks 303. I've seen those. The first sketch can be thrown away because it's not even remotely a reasonable representation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made for an article in the Weekly World News. I'm not so certain the second one is a sketch. Since Khwit died in 1954, it could be a photo, although it's also possible it could be a doctored photo. Khwit's fair skin is reasonable considering the claim that Zana's children were fathered by local men, although it's thought that some, if not all, were fathered by one man, the one that held her captive for about 2 decades before she escaped. Zana's children are said to have been given to other locals to raise. Apparently Zana is claimed to have had 6 children, although only 4 lived. The other 2, are said to have been twins that died.

From the picture of Khwit, I'd say that he appears to have features that are consistent with the DNA results pointing to Sub-Saharan African. He might not look 50% Sub-Saharan African, but that's probably because of his fair skin coloration. As you pointed out, and I agree, it's not something all that strange. If he was fathered by one of the locals of the Caucasian Region village, his genetics would be at least 50% especially considering that the DNA results show his mother was 100% Sub-Saharan African. Khwit's face shape can be attributed to dominant genes on his father's side.

There are so many questionable descriptions about Zana that it sounds more like tall tales that may have some truth but have become so exaggerated and twisted over time that it barely resembles the actual truth. She's described as having a body covered with hair almost apelike and that she never wore clothes. Really? How do we know she didn't wear a long coat of animal fur? Or that locals were just suggesting excessive body hair because of the color of her skin? She's said to have been able to lug 100-pound bags of whatever around with a single hand as though it was nothing. Maybe, but it also strongly smacks as a wild tale similar to Davy Crockett who "killed him a bear when he was only three".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,508,141 times
Reputation: 4915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks 303. I've seen those. The first sketch can be thrown away because it's not even remotely a reasonable representation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made for an article in the Weekly World News. I'm not so certain the second one is a sketch. Since Khwit died in 1954, it could be a photo, although it's also possible it could be a doctored photo. Khwit's fair skin is reasonable considering the claim that Zana's children were fathered by local men, although it's thought that some, if not all, were fathered by one man, the one that held her captive for about 2 decades before she escaped. Zana's children are said to have been given to other locals to raise. Apparently Zana is claimed to have had 6 children, although only 4 lived. The other 2, are said to have been twins that died.

From the picture of Khwit, I'd say that he appears to have features that are consistent with the DNA results pointing to Sub-Saharan African. He might not look 50% Sub-Saharan African, but that's probably because of his fair skin coloration. As you pointed out, and I agree, it's not something all that strange. If he was fathered by one of the locals of the Caucasian Region village, his genetics would be at least 50% especially considering that the DNA results show his mother was 100% Sub-Saharan African. Khwit's face shape can be attributed to dominant genes on his father's side.

There are so many questionable descriptions about Zana that it sounds more like tall tales that may have some truth but have become so exaggerated and twisted over time that it barely resembles the actual truth. She's described as having a body covered with hair almost apelike and that she never wore clothes. Really? How do we know she didn't wear a long coat of animal fur? Or that locals were just suggesting excessive body hair because of the color of her skin? She's said to have been able to lug 100-pound bags of whatever around with a single hand as though it was nothing. Maybe, but it also strongly smacks as a wild tale similar to Davy Crockett who "killed him a bear when he was only three".

His 10th great grandson killed a bear at 5 yrs old.

Five Year-Old Davy Crockett Relative Kills Bear | Wildlife Management Pro
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
 
5,460 posts, read 8,632,671 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
His 10th great grandson killed a bear at 5 yrs old.

Five Year-Old Davy Crockett Relative Kills Bear | Wildlife Management Pro
Thanks Versatile for that interesting link.

Born on a mountain top in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree,
Killed him a bear when he was only three.


Thank you Mr. Disney for providing us with "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (music written by George Bruns and lyrics written by Thomas W/ Blackburn II). Thus America was provided with an accurate historical account on TV, and kids all over begged their parent to buy them a coonskin cap. However, Crockett wasn't born on a mountain top. He was born in the Tennessee lowlands of what's now Greene County, a river valley where there were no mountains to be seen. Crockett was also known to spin some pretty good yarns too, which I reckon came in handy for politics.

That said, the act of 5-year-old Tre Merritt sounds pretty impressive. Keep in mind that Tre had the advantage of being a whopping 2 years older than Davy, and is said to have used a youth rifle (usually a bolt action 22) designed for children or small framed shooters. I suspect Grandpa Mike was with him to make the killing shot. We can assume that Grandpa was telling it as it happened, but then you never know 'bout some o' them yarns that come outta Arkansas. Davy, on the other hand, would've likely had a musket to use to bring down them critters. Muskets were about 5-feet long and weighed about 9 pounds, not an easy firearm for a 3-year-old to lift, let alone shoot. Of course that would've been right after he stared down the b'ar before he kilt it. Mind you now, Davy was "King of the Wild Frontier" so it's kinda hard to argue agin that kinda title.

It's not too hard to see how embellished, larger-than-life tales and legends can form and grow and become ingrained in people's minds over time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,606,371 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Those "African American" can be anyone from Mariah Carey to Alicia Keys.
Mariah Carey is mostly of white ancestry. She is mixed race.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,214 posts, read 8,463,710 times
Reputation: 7775
I think the most logical explanation is that Zana was an African slave who somehow made her way to that area. Many of the locals had probably never seen a black person before, so descriptions of her appearance became exaggerated. Maybe she had some sort of mental disorder that made her act unusually, or contributed to her inability to speak.

The picture of her son looks like a pretty normal person of mixed African or Middle Eastern descent, to me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 PM
 
3,978 posts, read 3,775,635 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Mariah Carey is mostly of white ancestry. She is mixed race.
That's exactly my point. Tell that to 303Guy who posted on page 1 of this thread.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
7,028 posts, read 3,516,390 times
Reputation: 3405
I'm listening! It's all very interesting. The thing is though that the illustration in a link on page one showed a sub Saharan African skull which was half way between a gorilla skull and a Causation skull. That one is bull! Africans are every bit modern human (and varied). However, their ancestors did not live and through an ice age like ours did (which is where we got our pale skin from - I think?) Apparently Neanderthals had fair skin and ginger hair and were not all that hairy.

Oh, about the legendary strength of Zana as in being able to pick up and carry a 100 lb bag of grain. African women are very strong. They'll carry a bag of grain on their heads all day! Or a container of water. To get it there they will squat and pick it up and place it on their heads then stand up. They'll carry it up hill and down. I think we would be looking at 20 kg (44 lbs), not sure.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-25-2014 at 12:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top