Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 AM

498 posts, read 977,282 times

Advertisements

This is just something that bugs me and I wondered if there was a particular reason. Take, for example, three lights appearing in the sky suddenly, doing some complicated maneuvering, and then disappearing. A fairly typical UFO encounter, right?

What seems more likely:
1. An alien spaceship/spaceships appeared before you for no apparent reason and then left a few minutes later.

2. A freak wind storm blew three battery powered spotlights into your general area and then juggled them around in such a way that they stayed in sync with each others' movements. A few minutes later their batteries die and the windstorm blows the lights away to somewhere else.

#2 is a highly unlikely scenario, but I think it's still quite a bit more plausible than #1. What then drives people to immediately arrive at conclusion #1 instead of a very unlikely but still more plausible #2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
The problem with your scenario is that many UFO sightings simply aren't ambiguous lights in the sky. Things get messier with more detail but the same problem does rear it's ugly head:

Observation:

Metallic saucer shaped object hovers in the sky for a moment, then takes off at impossible speed and/or just disappears.

Instant Conclusion:

It must have been an ET spacecraft full of little bug-eyed grey-skinned creatures intent on doing secret nefarious things, not to mention giving someone an awkward introduction to their illegitimate star child and doing some random acts of sodomy or "bovineicide".

WHY? There are so many other possibilities here. The alien theory is only one of them, and they aren't necessarily all connected.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:36 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
What about alien abductees? There was a time when this was a common experience. I read a report that these abductees had been found to have a history of mental illness/drug abuse. Now that report could have been bogus.

I saw a 'flying saucer once, with lights around the rim. It was actually just a passenger jet flying with its cabin lights on in strange early morning cloud but it so looked like a flying saucer. I've also seen strange lights in the sky, bright and hovering then gone. Again, aircraft landing lights. But they seemed mysterious and to move suddenly and very fast. it was the car I was driving that was moving and changing direction but it gave the impression that the lights were jumping from one area in the sky to another. Now had I been drunk or stoned when I saw them ....

Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is just something that bugs me and I wondered if there was a particular reason. Take, for example, three lights appearing in the sky suddenly, doing some complicated maneuvering, and then disappearing. A fairly typical UFO encounter, right?

What seems more likely:
1. An alien spaceship/spaceships appeared before you for no apparent reason and then left a few minutes later.

2. A freak wind storm blew three battery powered spotlights into your general area and then juggled them around in such a way that they stayed in sync with each others' movements. A few minutes later their batteries die and the windstorm blows the lights away to somewhere else.

#2 is a highly unlikely scenario, but I think it's still quite a bit more plausible than #1. What then drives people to immediately arrive at conclusion #1 instead of a very unlikely but still more plausible #2?
That's better than swamp gas or balloons.

Many, perhaps most, sightings have been erroneous. But to deny the compelling evidence of the Roswell crash is just plain silly.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:

What seems more likely:

If it is flying, unidentified and an object it is automatically a UFO. That's all that UFO means. You have added the "alien spaceship" part.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:54 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If it is flying, unidentified and an object it is automatically a UFO. That's all that UFO means. You have added the "alien spaceship" part.
Most people equate UFO to alien spaceship. That's what UFO means to them.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:

What seems more likely:

Oh gee, I don't know, when I saw a shiny metallic disk about 40 ft. in diameter fly past me 200 yards away and 80 ft. off the ground in broad daylight with no engine noise at all I think it's accurate to describe that as a UFO, which is an Unidentified Flying Object. I do not read into that designation aliens or interplanetary spaceship. All I can say about it is that it was an object flying by that I cannot identify. What was it really? As far as I am able to determine it was an unconventional manufactured craft in level flight at low altitude.

Last edited by amylewis; 06-30-2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's better than swamp gas or balloons.

Many, perhaps most, sightings have been erroneous. But to deny the compelling evidence of the Roswell crash is just plain silly.
What compelling evidence is that?

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM

436 posts, read 420,704 times
About 15 years ago a college roommate and I were driving down to our families for a school break. The highway was a familiar one, and we had driven there both in the dark and during the daylight. The stretch we were on at the time was in an area where we knew very well there were no towns or other lights, just woods for many endless miles.

We had two cats with us who were free in the car. They were really good travelers, and usually slept right through. We were also listening to a CD - not the radio, a CD. The car we were in was pretty new and the radio had never malfunctioned either before nor since, and the CD wasn't scratched.

So it's about 2-3 in the morning, maybe even closer to 4 AM. The highway is deserted. We're driving along, not tired at all, just chatting. All of the sudden both cats get up out of nowhere and start yowling, fur on ends. The CD turned to static right afterwards, and lights appeared above us. Not above-us as in over our car, but it was definitely a very large something, and it was above us and off to the left side a bit, maybe a tip over the highway and mostly over the woods. Very bright windows, almost like a cruise ship, with several "floors" of windows. We knew darned well there wasn't so much as a village or house where we were, much less a floating cruise ship.

We didn't stop or anything - I was driving - and we may have sped up a little, but not by much. Honestly it was just too weird. It only lasted a few seconds, half a minute at the most. Then the lights went out (it didn't look like we passed them, rather that they went out), the CD came back on, and the cats bristled a bit more and then went back to sleep in the back window. And that was about it.

We always referred to it as a UFO but... really, what other conclusion should we have gone to from that? I still can't think of what it could have been if not that. We weren't abducted, we weren't on drugs, we didn't seek a tabloid sale from it. I told a couple of people and that was it, I didn't go around advertising it. Even my roommate and I didn't know what to make of it, we just said that was really creepy. I was really glad when the sun rose that morning, and I never drove there in the dark again. Or maybe I did, but not at that abandoned time... either way, nothing ever happened again.

So... again... if you had an experience like that, wouldn't YOU jump to a conclusion that it could have been a UFO? Or would you think something else?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post

We always referred to it as a UFO but... really, what other conclusion should we have gone to from that? I still can't think of what it could have been if not that. We weren't abducted, we weren't on drugs, we didn't seek a tabloid sale from it. I told a couple of people and that was it, I didn't go around advertising it. Even my roommate and I didn't know what to make of it, we just said that was really creepy. I was really glad when the sun rose that morning, and I never drove there in the dark again. Or maybe I did, but not at that abandoned time... either way, nothing ever happened again.

So... again... if you had an experience like that, wouldn't YOU jump to a conclusion that it could have been a UFO? Or would you think something else?
Oh I don't think you are jumping to conclusions here, but are calling it what it was. It was a flying object you could not identify. That's a UFO. Now if you added to that description aliens from another world or that it was an interplanetary spaceship that would be jumping to conclusions, but you have not said that. You have only related your experience and described the object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal