Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I find it odd that you would want other people to retell their story when you already stated you are cynical. I gather from using the plural of experience you have heard quite a few so why do you need additional stories. As you stated the experiences are pretty similar. So what is your motive in gathering more.
Motive? Seriously? You are reading into and implying wayyyy too much into the little bit I wrote. I like to hear about these stories; they are intriguing and give me hope I will see my lost loved ones again. End of story. It's that simple. Now do you have a story to share or not?

ETA: Furthermore, let me make one thing clear: I have a right to be cynical if I want to be and never said I totally discount anything. There are plenty of websites online where I've read stories from people that I simply do not believe. It does not mean I don't believe there is a such thing as NDE's; if I didn't I wouldn't be asking about it....what it does mean, however, is that I think there are many people making up these experiences which makes it harder for people to believe the real stories. I just want to hear more from people who are hopefully telling the truth.

Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
I do know someone who learned how to have OBE's at will but who never thought of proving it to them self because it was so real to them. This person stopped doing it when one time (the last) they couldn't get back into their body!

Quote:
...what it does mean, however, is that I think there are many people making up these experiences which makes it harder for people to believe the real stories.
That is where I am at. Stories become just too fanciful and lose credibility for me. Those that do sound credible are not verifiable by me. That leaves me being unable to know one way or the other. Yet I do want to know since I too want to know whether I will ever see my son again or whether he has just faded away or is OK and in a better place. Did something at the place where he took his life influence him into doing it and was it the same 'something' that gave me a 'dark vision' of him while I was at that same place laying his marker or was it simply my mind playing tricks on me. He was there in the dead of night while I was there in the sunshine. Point is, I would like to know the facts, if at all possible.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
At 13 months old (very superstitious...writings on the wall.. <-- song) I hung myself in a toy box, one without the hinge that prevents the lid from closing by itself. I wanted to see what was inside so I heaved the thing up towards me, peeked in, the lid shut on my neck and it stood itself back up. My dad thought I was napping and went out to check on something. Found me and revived me. I have no recollection but I can't stand to have stuff snug around my neck! I was in shock at the hospital and wouldn't come out of it until my mom started "calling to the kitty cat" and asking me "where's the kitty?" As I type this there's a cat sleeping with his head on my right elbow. (I'm in my 50's)

Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
The reason the NDE is similar is because the brain reacts the same way and causes the light hallucination and floating experience. This experience can be reproduced in the lab.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
ETA: Furthermore, let me make one thing clear: I have a right to be cynical
I suspect the confusion is coming from your use of the word "cynical" rather than "skeptical".
  • Cynical means distrustful of human nature, disbelieving in the sincerity of others.
  • Skeptical means having or expressing doubt about something. A skeptic is not necessarily cynical.

A cynic would post asking for stories so he/she could sneer at the people who posted them.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Fourteen years ago my mother took heart failure and after being rushed to hospital a head doctor came into the waiting room and told us her chances were slim... they then restarted her heart with paddles or so she thought later... and woke to feel great.. sadly though she died three weeks later..... but when she came round she said there were men with long black beards hanging over her and she was screaming.... now we all said... just the oxygen leaving her brain but then another friend of the family was dying and swore someone in the room was a witch just before she died... so what is it people see, is it a dark angel or whatever they call it or the illness itself...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
NDE's are finally now beginning to gain scientific support thanks to Dr. Sam Parnia.

I was just watching this on YouTube. "What Near-Death Experiences Tell Us About Consciousness and the Concept of the Self - Sam Parnia"

This is a very informative and fun video but I can't post the video since it is copyrighted.

However I encourage anyone who is truly interested in NDE's to watch it.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Sort of, but I can't verify it because I was never taken to the doctor, and I didn't see white lights or angels or anything.

This is kind of painful to write, but when I was four, I nearly drowned. What I remember is that it was excruciating, I mean that feeling of needing air just got worse and worse. I thought it would never end and then all of a sudden...it felt as if I got over a "hump." I don't know how to explain it better than that. It was like I sort of...got past the drowning, somehow.

I didn't "see" anything. But I felt the most amazing sense of peace I ever felt in my life. I don't think I felt like I was floating, exactly, but I couldn't feel my body at all. I had a thought but not really in words, more of a sense, that nothing bad was ever going to happen again. Ever. And I had this CLARITY. Like, no emotion, but not in a robot-way. More like I was beyond all that now.

Then I was brought to and my very first feeling was agony that now pain was going to begin again, I mean, all of a sudden the common ups and downs of life felt absolutely painful by comparison to what I had been feeling a moment ago.

Again, this was not medically verified. I really doubt that my heart stopped or anything like that. But I did have that momentary feeling and have always wondered what it was. I wonder if it was just sort of a physical "shut down."

Definitely no tunnel, no white light, no Great-Grandma greeting me with a beatific smile or anything like that, but again, I have no idea just how far "gone" I was.

That's the closest I've come...it somehow makes me fear the actual process of dying as much, for whatever reason, though I still have no clue about an "after" or if there is one.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
I also have a very sad story about a NDE or it might have been an OBE.

I grew up for the first 14 years of my life with a horrible evil brutalizing father. He was so violent that it is amazing he did not kill us.

My father was on one of his violent drunken brutalizing attacks on me and my brother who is 1.5 years older than me. This attack must have occurred when I was 4 and he was 5.5. He choked my brother until he went unconscious...my brother told me when I was older that when he had gone unconscious during that horrific attack that he left his body and was looking down at himself with that monster still choking him...and that he could also see me screaming and crying and calling his name. He said he recalls thinking to himself that he had better get back to his body in order to protect himself and as soon as he thought this he was yanked right back into his body and regained consciousness. Please don't let the horrific events of this story take away from my brothers experience. Yes the first 14 years were horrific at the hands of this monster but then that great deck of cards I was dealt in my charts came to life. His life ended in 1978-Instant Karma to the rescue!

I am thankful that Resuscitation medicine is now beginning to open the doors to better understanding this very real topic that is proving that there is something more to NDE's than what was previously thought. It has proven that people are not just experiencing hallucinations or all the other things that people say to dismiss the experiences described by the 1000's of people who have experienced real NDE's.

Dr.Sam Parnia is a world-renowned expert on this subject. He works as a Resuscitation Medical Doctor at a critical care hospital and has dealt with 1000's of NDE cases. I can't think of anyone more well equipped to share his experiences and research on the topic with us. It is interesting that he too was conditioned to think that when we die that our consciousness and awareness go right along with it. In his lecture series he shares his journey from what he once thought to what he now thinks. His perceptions changed after working in the field of Resuscitation Medicine.

He has a series of lectures that can be found on YouTube about his research and what he has experienced in his profession as a Resuscitation Physician that has lead him to lead the way in changing peoples perception about NDE's.

This is not copyrighted to my knowledge and if it is please remove it and accept my sincere apology. It is very exciting to hear from someone who works in this profession and the stories that he can tell us about these NDE's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSuU...24354CB44E2CEE

Here is a video about his AWARE study. There is also a series of videos that accompany this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGl9...24354CB44E2CEE

This is a very fascinating study and thankfully he is now leading the way to the Paradigm shift in the way society views NDE's

Last edited by TVC15; 10-22-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I've been visited by two people who passed away. I haven't had an NDE, but I'm sure we continue beyond this physical existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal