U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:00 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,774,773 times

Advertisements

This place seems very strange. Any explanations to the stories and missing people in this article:

News - Brown Mountain Abductions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM

11,543 posts, read 14,568,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
This place seems very strange. Any explanations to the stories and missing people in this article:

News - Brown Mountain Abductions
Reminds me of the cases covered by David Paulides. Many people go missing in and around wilderness areas. Some cases are really strange with victims disappearing only yards away from others. Very possible something is out there that we either don't understand. Aside from that, Many cases are people simply falling down somewhere into a crevice or similar or simply underestimating the size and danger of these areas and getting lost, Then falling to predators or the elements.

I have heard of these lights before and similar, Like the Marfa lights in Texas. Interesting phenomena.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,774,773 times
"More recently October 2011 hundreds of eyewitnesses claim to have seen the lights. Many captured images and video of the event. Over 27 people vacationing in a popular nearby camping area went missing that night. Including 3 police officers."

"These stories have the same theme in common. When the lights are seen people go missing."

I understand when two people went missing, but 27, including 3 police officers?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM

5,779 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Like the Marfa lights, most likely explanation I suspect is a milder form of the lights sometimes associated with earthquakes:

Earthquake Lights

For the disappearance part, there's some really wild country in and around Brown Mountain, and a long history of disappearances, not just around that area but in the southern Appalachians in general.

The claim of 27 people disappearing in a single night ... this would have been a story with nationwide coverage, yet I don't recall it or any reports of attempted searches. I don't believe it.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:17 PM

87,807 posts, read 81,538,757 times
The first encounter dates back to the Cherokee Indians around the year 1200. According to Indian legend, a great battle was fought between the Cherokee and Catawba Indians near Brown Mountain. The Cherokees believed that the lights were the spirits of Indian maidens who went on searching through the centuries for their loved ones who had died in battle.

Dates back to the Cherokees in 1200? How would anyone know that? There were no Europeans around there until the 1600's. And the Cherokees wouldn't have known what year it was, since the calendar system we have is a European invention. This makes no sense.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,013,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I understand when two people went missing, but 27, including 3 police officers?
Documentation please.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM

2,550 posts, read 1,912,250 times
For a similar and equally strange case from Norway, check out the Hessdalen lights.

Hessdalen light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Project Hessdalen - Homepage

Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM

87,807 posts, read 81,538,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
For a similar and equally strange case from Norway, check out the Hessdalen lights.

Hessdalen light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Project Hessdalen - Homepage
Could be geologically-related electromagnetic activity. I don't see it as UFO-related.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM

2,550 posts, read 1,912,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could be geologically-related electromagnetic activity. I don't see it as UFO-related.
From http://ufohessdalen.blogspot.ca/

"In previous articles I have described how the UFO phenomenon in Hessdalen can be divided into different categories, some of which undoubtedly are solid, metallic objects, while others appear as lights in the sky."

Old 04-09-2015, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,282 times
Yeah I'm thinking that the 27 people in one night, including three police officer's, is a bogus disinformation story in an attempt to discredit anyone passing on the story in order to invalidate actual and very credible occurrences taking place on Brown Mountain. I know for a fact that this kind of thing occurs. There's an interesting although troubling video on YouTube regarding 30,000 people missing/disappearing every year. This number doesn't include runaways, recovered murder victems, or anyone later found. It is an investigation done by retired homicide detective and now MUFON investigator Butch Witkowski. His investigation also covers several cases of human mutilation including autopsy reports and other very credible evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal