Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in UFO's?
Yes 102 76.69%
No 31 23.31%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? you do know that the math for warp drive has already been figured out by a mexican mathematician right? now given that piece of information, wouldnt it seem likely that if we humans can figure it out, then a much more advanced civilization can do the same thing?
Yes, that was Miguel Alcubierre, and he worked out how to manipulate space-time and cross vast distances, light years, in no time at all. You would not be going faster than light, technically, you would be moving space-time around you by means of your own gravitational field. We do not as yet have the means to manipulate gravity, (that you and I know of) but it's just a matter of time. The math checks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
really? you do know that the math for warp drive has already been figured out by a mexican mathematician right? now given that piece of information, wouldnt it seem likely that if we humans can figure it out, then a much more advanced civilization can do the same thing?
Sorry but I just can't make that leap. The work that you speak of is still very theoretical. I am willing to believe but I've just seen too many fuzzy and faked pictures in my life.

If extraterrestrials are real, however, I do agree with those who say we shouldn't be signaling them as if they were here for a cordial visit. That's what the native Americans did when the Europeans first arrived.

BTW, I lived in Clovis, NM in January of 1976 and I was in Phoenix on March 13, 1997. I saw nothing on either occasion. I wish I had.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM

723 posts, read 868,510 times
Do I believe there have been flying objects that the observer couldn't identify? Absolutely. Do I believe aliens exist somewhere in this unimaginably vast universe? Without a doubt. Do I think we have been visited by little green men? Hell no.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Yes, that was Miguel Alcubierre, and he worked out how to manipulate space-time and cross vast distances, light years, in no time at all. You would not be going faster than light, technically, you would be moving space-time around you by means of your own gravitational field. We do not as yet have the means to manipulate gravity, (that you and I know of) but it's just a matter of time. The math checks out.
yes that is very true, we dont have the technology to create a warp bubble yet. but here is a promising bit of technology;

NASA: New "impossible" engine works, could change space travel forever

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM

403 posts, read 557,326 times
I do believe in them, but I don't believe I have ever seen one. A few years ago, I was looking out the window one night and saw a strange light that I had never seen before up in the sky. I thought for sure I was seeing one then, but it wasn't moving, it was just sitting there. The next night, I looked and there it was again. Then the next night, and the next, and the next and so on. I was sure this couldn't be a UFO, but I had nothing to base it on. It stayed in the sky, in about the same spot, for about a month. Finally, I went and had my eyes examined and got glasses. When I looked out my window with my glasses, it wasn't an unusual light in the sky at all. A guy about 2 miles down the road had installed some new lights around his property and the lights were shining together to make an unusual shape above his property.

Even though I haven't seen one, I do believe they exist. I think it's pretty close-minded to believe that we are the only living creatures in the universe. We've had the ability to go into space for several decades, basically half a century or so. f we can do it, why is it so hard to believe that another species on another planet could do it also?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I've seen them on 2 occasions. They appeared to move purposefully, and somewhat impossibly on one occasion with an abrupt u-turn ...... I suppose if warped dimensions are involved, they could violate the law of inertia or whatever.

I don't think that they are necessarily extraterrestrial, they could be the result of an advanced technology on Earth that we don't know about - but I'm putting my quarter down on the ET origin.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
What does that mean? UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, so, as soon as you see something in the sky and can't identify it, it's an UFO. So, they exist, and of course I believe in them.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
Quote:
yes that is very true, we dont have the technology to create a warp bubble yet. but here is a promising bit of technology;

NASA: New "impossible" engine works, could change space travel forever
Yes, I'd seen that already. I do quite a bit of digging around the web. I love it when someone comes up with something that's not supposed to be possible and the experts have to scratch their heads, but then the function of an expert is not to be right more than the rest of us, it's to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 AM

21 posts, read 18,571 times
No,I have never had a exprience of this thing.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I saw one with a friend as a teenager. We were camping out in a tent on the side of her house. We both heard this humming sound getting closer and closer to us. I looked out of the back of our tent and a UFO was hoovering a couple of hundred feet off of the ground above her house. We could see the little square windows and red and white lights blinking around the craft. Do I think they're from another planet? No. I think they're military. It was gone in seconds and scared the crap out of us. We called the police and of course everyone we told thought we were crazy. The windows looked a lot like the small windows on jet aircraft and the small red and white lights looked a lot like the lights on jets as well. We don't know everything that goes on with our military and rightfully so. Does anyone remember the UFO's that resembled the stealth fighter planes decades ago? I'm sure who ever was piloting that craft we saw in the 70's had a great laugh after scaring the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal