U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 AM

533 posts, read 1,004,878 times

Advertisements

I don't even watch the news anymore because this happens to me so much - especially when it's something really dramatic (e.g. riots in ferguson, MO and the murder of James Foley).

For example, I was reading about James foley, his murder, and ISIS last night and I had nightmares/dreams about it all night long. I can't really remember what happened or the sequence of events though.

What could it mean?

This happens every time something truly dramatic and shocking happens, not for other things reported by the news (like small traffic collisions, school board problems, etc).

Is there any sort of explanation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM

13,397 posts, read 7,140,394 times
Maybe when I was younger and more involved in the intel business, but not now. And I don't even think really back then because the real life surrounding me was intense enough. Further, when I was running a military police department, I dreampt more about my police troops than actual events. I can put that down to two factors. First, my troops were my life, I would bend over backward for them. Secondly.....I took a police radio home with me each night and had it on, was listening to the traffic. So it no doubt affected my dreams.

Curiously enough, though, about seeing things in reality that cause dreams, I had an intense Airwolf dream last night, where Moffet was not such a bad guy but more of a troublesome system engineer. And what triggered the dream? This picture http://www.airwolf.tv/yabbfiles/Atta...irwolf_001.jpg
in my diary, a representation for an entry of a different nature.

Mom would always say don't get so wrapped up about things you can't do anything about. I think it was sage advice, especially when it comes to what passes for news these days.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:26 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,088,516 times
Yeah I hate shark attacks on the news.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,253,796 times
I read Stephen King before going to sleep. If I can do that, then I can watch the news without nightmares. SK is much more graphic than anything I will ever see on tv.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM

14,777 posts, read 15,219,985 times
No, I do not. But I generally don't dwell on things I see on TV, regardless of what they are. If you are confused by the influence that both conscious & unconscious thought has on dreams, you may wish to check out some info on how the brain works.. Sweet Dreams

Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM

5,278 posts, read 3,600,245 times
No, but I sometimes have random nightmares.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,614,831 times
The only time that's ever happened to me was the night of 9/11. I dreamed that extremists were parachuting down into my small hometown and killing families en masse. It was very unsettling.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 AM

13,397 posts, read 7,140,394 times
Had an "interesting" one today, where a serial killer I was reading about last night was coming after me with a baseball bat, I could see how he was seeing me in his mind.

As it was, I believe I evaded his attack. The dream was not too memorable, didn't wake me up, don't recall it when I woke up and it wasn't till I was checking the forum that I recalled the snippet.

But I suppose that these things happen, between reading about accounts, knowing so much about them from work, being somewhat under stress right now.....and a practice of simulating their mind in order to approach the problem.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 AM

5,445 posts, read 3,900,970 times
Good question, and the answer is no.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,380,455 times
While I normally do not, last night was very horrific and left me quite disturbed. Of course it had to be about Isis terrorists and my dad showing me a gruesome video which I DID NOT want to see but he just HAD to point it out to me UGH!!

The dream was a simple one where I was in a grocery store and while gong to the produce section I see a man with a Machate like Blade but bigger in hand and his face all covered with a scarf. And then running to escape and seeing other men walking down the aisle with similar blades. Woke up in a panic when even at the rear exit door there were men waiting for fleeing customers to exit and all I heard was screaming from exit directions and within the store.

I usually do not have nightmares that are this horrific and this one was like a freaking movie in my head, kept repeating over and over untill I decided enough and go up at six this morning to try and forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal