U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM

186 posts, read 173,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
I do believe there are true psychics out there, I also believe they don't advertise, charge for it (but some do take donations), certainly don't write books to try and make even more money or do TV shows/appearances. A true psychic sees their gift as just that, a gift and don't use it for monetary gains or to boost their self esteem.

I have to say, I disagree with this. How do you think someone like George Anderson is supposed to live? Or should he work a 40 hour job doing something else and then in his spare time use his gifts for free?

People are gifted in all kinds of ways - whether they are math wizards, pianists, artists, etc., and nobody has a problem with them using their gifts to earn money, but when it comes to being a psychic medium they're expected to give it away for free and live like paupers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM

87,919 posts, read 81,768,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Do you remember the authors name? That's a book I'd love to read. When I had my NDE many years ago, before they even had a name, I recall knowing everything there was to know about the universe and how everything on earth is connected, but I don't remember how.
What I do remember is that God, or whomever you believe in doesn't judge us. We judge ourselves and we do it with compassion and understanding of why we did it, how we felt and simultaneously how the other person felt and from there we're able to learn and forgive ourselves.
Pim Van Lommel, MD. Consciousness After Life. The first half of the book describes his experiences with NDE patients, then the study he organized, and discussions of other studies. The 2nd half of the book gets into the science of consciousness from both a medical perspective and a quantum physics perspective, using his study results and observations to illustrate the science points.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaMoBThere View Post

People are gifted in all kinds of ways - whether they are math wizards, pianists, artists, etc., and nobody has a problem with them using their gifts to earn money, but when it comes to being a psychic medium they're expected to give it away for free and live like paupers.
This is a very tricky issue. Traditionally, "healers" did give it away, but their "patients" often were so grateful for the miracles they performed, that they'd shower the healers with gifts: food, home repair, etc. But yes, "healing" was considered to be a tough life, unless someone could do it as a sideline to their career. But nowadays we have people who have taken "psychic" workshops, and who may have a modest gift, but most don't get results even though they charge a very solid fee. So there needs to be a happy medium somewhere.

There's a family of Philippine psychic surgeons that lives in the US. It was 3 brothers who had an extraordinary gift. One brother lost his gift after charging a lot of money for his healings (in the Philippines they always work for free). The gift simply vanished. The 2nd brother had a good reputation for getting results, so I got an appointment with him when he came into my town for a week. No results. I asked one of the people involved in scheduling him, and was told that because he was doing these tours and charging much more than was needed to cover expenses, his gift was fading, too. The 3rd brother I think is in the Philippines, still practicing, no problems.

There was another guy who used to come to Washington State from the Philippines to see patients. He got such spectacular results, that the AMA in WA threatened him with a lawsuit for practicing medicine without a license. Although IMO that would have been an easy charge to blow up in court (it's faith healing, it's not "medicine"--no surgical tools, no evidence of "medical practice"), no one stepped forward to offer any help (unbelievable!). He never came back, it really scared him.

But I digress.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-31-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM

501 posts, read 910,924 times
Quote:
I have to say, I disagree with this. How do you think someone like George Anderson is supposed to live? Or should he work a 40 hour job doing something else and then in his spare time use his gifts for free?

I work a 40 hour a week job and I'm no pauper, not rich but not a pauper. I was referring to the ones that charge outrageous amounts for readings/sittings and then writing books to make even more millions then doing public appearances and maybe even a TV show to fill their bank account even more. I put those types right up there with these evangelists that make millions (in some cases billions) and delivering very little.

A gift is meant to be used to help others, not exploited to get as much out of people as they can.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:44 PM

I guess I don't see it as tricky because times have changed and people have to earn a living to eat and pay bills. If they overcharge and put the focus on money, I do believe they can lose their gifts. But I also know of a psychic medium who is very accurate and raised her rates a couple years ago because she developed a lot of health issues, pays for her own insurance since she's self-employed, and decided to charge what so many others are charging. I'm not talking about the ridiculous charges the high profile celebrities make, but more than what many are charging.

I always go back to what George Anderson is doing because of all those I'm aware of, he seems to have the purest intentions. He lives the life of a simple man, but charges quite a bit and has a waiting list about a year long. He's written great books, too. I believe part of their responsibility here is to educate others. Writing a book is a good way to do that.

Quote:
So there needs to be a happy medium somewhere.
I had to LOL when I read this!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
I work a 40 hour a week job and I'm no pauper, not rich but not a pauper. I was referring to the ones that charge outrageous amounts for readings/sittings and then writing books to make even more millions then doing public appearances and maybe even a TV show to fill their bank account even more. I put those types right up there with these evangelists that make millions (in some cases billions) and delivering very little.

A gift is meant to be used to help others, not exploited to get as much out of people as they can.
OK, thanks for explaining this. I agree with you. Some people are trying to help others and some are just trying to milk their fame for more money. Those are the ones I tend to doubt, with the exception of Lisa Williams who seems authentic to me.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,249,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
As a man of science and skeptic, I see it as my civic duty to balance out the quackery that is so prevalent when we are talking about the paranormal.
Well put, and I appreciate your sense of responsibility. Unfortunately, I think you may be wasting your time here. These are individuals who unquestionably believe in psychics(and actually watch Montel Williams). It would make your life easier to simply let them live happily in their fantasy land. I gave up trying to get through to people like this years ago. As you've already seen, there is NOTHING you can say or do to convince them of the truth. If Sylvia Browne, John Edwards or (insert name here) is charismatic enough to make a living separating these people from their money, let them do it.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM

You guys remind me of atheists who go into Christian forums to challenge them and talk about Santa and the Easter Bunny. You can say you have noble intentions but you really just want to poke people with different beliefs.

It's safe to say we are two groups that have no respect for the other, so yup, you are wasting your time.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I guess I don't see it as tricky because times have changed and people have to earn a living to eat and pay bills. If they overcharge and put the focus on money, I do believe they can lose their gifts. But I also know of a psychic medium who is very accurate and raised her rates a couple years ago because she developed a lot of health issues, pays for her own insurance since she's self-employed, and decided to charge what so many others are charging. I'm not talking about the ridiculous charges the high profile celebrities make, but more than what many are charging.
Yes, I know one like that, too. I have fewer qualms about paying for the service when I know the "practitioner" is the real deal. At least, for mediums and/or healers in the West.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,383,958 times
My family member is a psychic. She has written books that are available on AMazon and does readings. No one is bending anyone's arm to go to a psychic so half of this thread is unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal