Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,499,486 times

Advertisements

Due to the underlying topic, I figured this was probably the best place to ask this.

Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, that is fairly late stage, back in February.

I decided I wanted to videotape him talking about his life. I think it would be something neat for his grandchildren to see, and I actually found out some interesting things. About 6 weeks ago, I set up a video camera and had him talk about growing up. We recorded a full hour of video with him talking the whole time. He was pretty detailed about a lot of stuff. We made it until his teenage years. I was going to record more on another day, but it wasn't long that his health quickly declined. I'm hoping that he may rebound for us to continue, but it's not looking good.

Ok, to the meat of this. My grandfather was in the Air Force and was stationed in Roswell during the whole "alien crash" deal. As a matter of fact, some self-reported Area 51 "researcher" contacted my sister-in-law a few years back asking if my grandfather had left a journal. This guy thinks my grandfather was the navigator on the plane that flew out the alien bodies.

At the time, my father would have been almost 7-years-old. My question is, how much would a 6-year-old remember?

My father told me that at that time, the base was locked down for about two weeks. He said he saw lots of military convoys coming and going, including large trucks he'd never seen before. He said there was suddenly a lot of non-military people coming to the base and taking over large sections of it. He said their phone was cut off and they weren't allowed to send or receive any mail. He also talked about more "odd" things.

My question is, how much of this would a 6-year-old actually remember?

Thinking back to my childhood, I just don't know if I'd either notice such things or remember them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,769,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Due to the underlying topic, I figured this was probably the best place to ask this.

Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, that is fairly late stage, back in February.

I decided I wanted to videotape him talking about his life. I think it would be something neat for his grandchildren to see, and I actually found out some interesting things. About 6 weeks ago, I set up a video camera and had him talk about growing up. We recorded a full hour of video with him talking the whole time. He was pretty detailed about a lot of stuff. We made it until his teenage years. I was going to record more on another day, but it wasn't long that his health quickly declined. I'm hoping that he may rebound for us to continue, but it's not looking good.

Ok, to the meat of this. My grandfather was in the Air Force and was stationed in Roswell during the whole "alien crash" deal. As a matter of fact, some self-reported Area 51 "researcher" contacted my sister-in-law a few years back asking if my grandfather had left a journal. This guy thinks my grandfather was the navigator on the plane that flew out the alien bodies.

At the time, my father would have been almost 7-years-old. My question is, how much would a 6-year-old remember?

My father told me that at that time, the base was locked down for about two weeks. He said he saw lots of military convoys coming and going, including large trucks he'd never seen before. He said there was suddenly a lot of non-military people coming to the base and taking over large sections of it. He said their phone was cut off and they weren't allowed to send or receive any mail. He also talked about more "odd" things.

My question is, how much of this would a 6-year-old actually remember?

Thinking back to my childhood, I just don't know if I'd either notice such things or remember them.
Look at the end of the day the question is, was there a discovery of alien life made. And the answer is, yes and no. Not a discovery because the government has long known of alien life and so do we all now. They are here, been here and will continue to be here. So the mystery behind area 51, is moot at this point in the grand scheme of things. Far too great of evidence now exists of alien contact and presence here on earth to deny it any longer.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,162,354 times
When I was 5 we moved to our new house -- I remember it because it was exciting and momentous, and my parents kept all us kids very involved.

If his parents hasn't made a big deal out of things (kids hear and absorb more then we think) he wouldn't have noticed anything. I would bet their lives disruption over this was what made an impression.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,913,156 times
Due to undeveloped brain structures, memories from before the age of two are rare (though the emotional residue can be retained from abuse. Retention comparable to an adult's develops by the age of ten, typically. So a six year old remembers quite a bit, but not as much as an adult. Google "childhood amnesia" for more info on this interesting subject.

My first datable memory is from 18 months, and involves a traumatic doctor visit (verified by my mother before her death). I have a few scattered here and there from two to five, but a lot of memories from six and seven. Different kids develop at different rates so your father's memories may be quite accurate.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:44 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,499,486 times
Tallysmom and Vasily, thanks for that insight.

It just struck me as odd, since he'd never talked about that before. Had that "researcher" spoken with me, my knee-jerk reaction would have been, "I think you have the wrong person" since I didn't know he ever lived there. So, when this was "revealed" during video taping, it just had me wondering how accurate his memories of it might be. Keep in mind that until the last couple of weeks, he has been 100% lucid, and was doing work, computer programming, from the house.

Keep in mind, he never said anything about aliens or the like. He just said that the base was in such turmoil and his father seemed so freaked out about what was going on, that it couldn't have just been some sort of weather balloon.

I wonder if they may have been doing some sort of testing on a prototype ICBM or something that went wrong.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,646,630 times
I could see those memories being accurate. Anything exciting, different or traumatic will leave a stronger memory.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,439,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I could see those memories being accurate. Anything exciting, different or traumatic will leave a stronger memory.
Sure, what kid that age doesn't remember his first day of school? I sure do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal