U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 4,564,616 times

Advertisements

I've been following cryptozoology news since the 1960s. Twenty years ago, I would have given better than even odds on there being one or more species of hominids still extant in places like the Pacific Northwest, the Himalayas, Russia, and possibly southern Asia. Best candidate for a bipedal unknown primate or relict hominid today is the orang pendek, I think, but I'd drop the probability of there being an unknown large primate in North America to well below even odds due to the fact that the technology has improved, and there are a lot of folks out there looking for sasquatch with zero concrete, firm evidence so far (but a lot of blobsquatches and misidentified bears). Not looking good for Mr. Sasquatch, I'm afraid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM

13,207 posts, read 14,530,061 times
I'm starting to think Sasquatch is a bust. 40/50 years on with real intense hunting and research and still the same blurry pictures and goat hairs. With today's technology we really should have come up with better or even definitive evidence. I want bigfoot to exist but I am about to pull my personal plug on the matter very soon.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM

114 posts, read 101,576 times
I respect what you say Vasily.I just cannot help believe that somewhere this being does exist.I know the pictures of this being are blurry,but there is something about this particular unknown creature that I am drawn to.I have had really the same conversation with some of my friends,and for some reason,I just cannot stop the feeling that"it is real".Thank
you for your posts.Have a kind life.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

5,888 posts, read 4,564,616 times
The Wodwo, or Wild Man is an archetype that appears in the oldest human myths, and across many cultures. It's been suggested that these myths may be derived from ancient stories of our dealings with other hominids like the Neanderthals and Denisovans in the distant past.

In Basque mythology, Basajuan is a hairy being, half-animal, half-human who is a protector of the forests and animals, both wild and domestic, and we stole the ability to cultivate crops from him. Perhaps the attraction some of us feel to the sasquatch mythos is a genetic memory of this ancient Wodwo archetype: stories told around ancient campfires that we still carry in our blood.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM

114 posts, read 101,576 times
I have certainly heard many possibilities,theories and ideas on the Sasquatch topic.Really and truthfully I don't dispute any as one hasn't been captured,at least to my knowledge. I have heard bigfoot in conspiracy theories,and just about everything else.To me,it will always remain a mystery until it is solved,if it ever will be.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:02 AM

19,375 posts, read 23,042,199 times
Here is why there is no Bigfoot, put very simply:

Large mammals require A LOT of nutrient-rich food and a sizeable breeding population. Large primates exist only in areas where there is lots of fruit or nutrient rich plant material for them to feed on, and even in the remotest of remote areas, there are sizeable enough breeding populations that we can find them.

Neither of those conditions exist in the Pacific Northwest or northeast Asia.

Sure, there are lots and lots of plants in the Pacific Northwest, but none of them that can support a large mammal. Large mammals can't live off pine needles and bark. The natural fruits in those areas are not plentiful enough to feed a sizeable population of large mammals.

Bears! you say. Bears live there. True enough, and bears supplement their diet by being omnivorous, and we have lots and lots and lots of encounters with bears, because in areas as heavily populated as the Pacific northwest, it is impossible for a healthy breeding population not to run into humans. If Bigfoot existed, we would have lots of photographs and a hunter would have shot one by now.

Is it absolutely and completely impossible that Bigfoot exists? No. But it is EXTREMELY unlikely. I'd bet on running into Elvis at 7-11 at the slushie machine before I'd bet on meeting Bigfoot in the woods.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:40 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,878,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Wodwo, or Wild Man is an archetype that appears in the oldest human myths, and across many cultures. It's been suggested that these myths may be derived from ancient stories of our dealings with other hominids like the Neanderthals and Denisovans in the distant past.

In Basque mythology, Basajuan is a hairy being, half-animal, half-human who is a protector of the forests and animals, both wild and domestic, and we stole the ability to cultivate crops from him. Perhaps the attraction some of us feel to the sasquatch mythos is a genetic memory of this ancient Wodwo archetype: stories told around ancient campfires that we still carry in our blood.
I agree with your archetype theory. It makes sense. As for modern Bigfoot, we have nothing. No remains (for example) found anywhere.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:42 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,106,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm starting to think Sasquatch is a bust. 40/50 years on with real intense hunting and research and still the same blurry pictures and goat hairs. With today's technology we really should have come up with better or even definitive evidence. I want bigfoot to exist but I am about to pull my personal plug on the matter very soon.
I repped this. describes my feeling son the matter pretty well, although I am much further along in my skepticism.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 AM

13,207 posts, read 14,530,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I repped this. describes my feeling son the matter pretty well, although I am much further along in my skepticism.
Thank you. I was a huge bigfoot fan until recently. I used to watch every single doc that came on TV, along with Finding Bigfoot but these programs are soooo played out. It's the same show over and over but with different faces.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:51 PM

11,640 posts, read 14,702,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Thank you. I was a huge bigfoot fan until recently. I used to watch every single doc that came on TV, along with Finding Bigfoot but these programs are soooo played out. It's the same show over and over but with different faces.
I agree. There shows are very silly. I like to envision Bigfoot if he exists sitting in a cave with a TV and potato chips laughing at all the "Were gonna get Bigfoot" shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal