U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM

44 posts, read 73,427 times

Advertisements

Backstory: When I was around 12 my folks bought a 1890's Victorian and my two siblings and I grew up in that house. We all have 'ghost stories' to tell about the house and lots of memories of weird stuff that went on. Some examples; when my brother was sick (teens) the lady who previously owned the house sat on his bed and kept an eye on him till my mom got home from work. Lots of random music, doors opening themselves, lights on in the attic where none of us ever went etc. My ex and I had an experience in the basement when we were on a couch making out, I opened my eyes and could not see through a dark object between us and the windows (which seriously, seriously freaked me out)..

My siblings have long since scattered around the globe but I go back to visit my mom quite often and something I've noticed the last couple of times I've stayed there is that my electronics (smart phone and IPAD) both lose their charges rapidly. Now, I KNOW the house I live in with my husband is inhabited by at least two ghosts (his ex mother and father-in law) but I don't notice a drain at home...so why at my mom's? It especially seems to happen in the bedroom where I sleep AKA my brother's old bedroom, where I can watch the battery drain in front of my eyes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,741,439 times
Could be the amount of spiritual activity and presences take more from electronics in an older home than a newer one?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 AM

13,175 posts, read 19,519,234 times
Are you saying that both the house you grew up in and your new house are both haunted?
Have your friends noticed this too?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 AM

17,866 posts, read 18,958,730 times
spirits tend to drain battery power in order to manifest. They might move something, or make noises from the power they drained, or maybe even give you a show of a full bodied spirit.

It doesn't seem like these spirits are evil or demonic in any way, just maybe curious, helpful and perhaps a little playful. Honestly I'd just consider them as guests in the house.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Could be the amount of spiritual activity and presences take more from electronics in an older home than a newer one?
My husband's house where we live now predates my mom's house by about 30 years so I don't think that is the case here...and it actually surprises me as we notice more activity here than at my mom's. I notice the battery drain literally in front of my eyes at mom's...and not really at all here.

It just caught me by surprise the last time I visited - my IPAD dropped percentages as I watched and my smartphone sat on the bedside table overnight and dropped from 80% battery to a critical level of 10% in the space of a few hours.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 AM

11,142 posts, read 9,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
It just caught me by surprise the last time I visited - my IPAD dropped percentages as I watched and my smartphone sat on the bedside table overnight and dropped from 80% battery to a critical level of 10% in the space of a few hours.
My iPad and iPhone do that routinely, whereever I am, and I travel a lot. That's true and not intended as a statement of disrespect. It sounds normal to me.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 10-07-2014 at 02:04 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
My iPad and iPhone do that routinely, whereever I am, and I travel a lot. That's true and not intended as a statement of disrespect. It sounds normal to me.
No disrespect taken! I have noticed that the IPAD does that if I am running a game, i.e., Plants vs.Zombies...the battery will drop like crazy then! I guess I was just shocked the one night I was trolling City-Data and a money forum and noticed that my battery dropped as I was looking right at it. That never seems to happen at my house or work etc, only when I stay at my mom's.

It's just an interesting observation I made and I wondered if anyone else had the same experience in a house that is 'haunted' (per family AND friend observations). Heck my kids (adult) will not stay there because of their experiences, to me, it's just the way my mom's house is.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Are you saying that both the house you grew up in and your new house are both haunted?
Have your friends noticed this too?
Friends at my mom's house, yes. I have siblings and we often had friends sleepover and on occasion someone would notice an odd happening, i.e. a 'thunk' from the unoccupied attic or music playing in a different part of the house or a light on in a room no one had been in all day. We all just shrugged it off with a 'stuff like that happens here all the time' and no one freaked out too much.

My house, on the other hand....we don't have company. The house has been under constant construction since I moved in and with time and money constraints I am not comfortable having company view the disaster. I think it was on this forum that I related how one room was completely torn up and the furniture shoved into the middle of the room and one night I heard the most awful crashing and banging from that room. My 100# German Shepherd LEVITATED several feet off of the floor and absolutely refused to enter the room when I went to see what had happened. Nothing was disturbed, no trees had crashed into the house or anything that would have made such a noise. I do consider her my pal though so you could say a friend has noticed the haunting in this house.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM

605 posts, read 1,412,304 times
If you are doing extensive renovations, that's usually a key for increased paranormal activity. if the former residents sense something is changing, they may increase activity, either to show displeasure for the changes, or it's a change period. I can totally see noises, sounds, etc. increasing in frequency and intensity.

Very interesting! And, a little jealous!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM

11,142 posts, read 9,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizaloo View Post
No disrespect taken! I have noticed that the IPAD does that if I am running a game, i.e., Plants vs.Zombies...the battery will drop like crazy then! I guess I was just shocked the one night I was trolling City-Data and a money forum and noticed that my battery dropped as I was looking right at it. That never seems to happen at my house or work etc, only when I stay at my mom's.

It's just an interesting observation I made and I wondered if anyone else had the same experience in a house that is 'haunted' (per family AND friend observations). Heck my kids (adult) will not stay there because of their experiences, to me, it's just the way my mom's house is.

I will say the one place I've visited that I'm convinced is haunted is The Grove in Jefferson TX, and many persons who have taken the tour have said their cellphone batteries inexplicably die during the tour. They notice this because the affable owner and tour guide, Mitchel Whittingon, allows unlimited photo-taking inside/outside his home so most people will charge/check their batteries before the tour.

My iPhone stayed charged and I took several pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal