Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

What we remember is not necessarily what really happened in an event:

False Memories: When Your Brain Makes Stuff Up | TIME.com

Human memory isn't like permanent data storage on an electronic device. Short term memories are transferred to long term memory (that appears to be the primary function of dreaming). But once it's there it can be rewritten and revised. Here's an example of an experiment done with mice in which researchers implanted false memories:

False Memories in Mice | MIT Technology Review

This is obviously a problem that affects eyewitness testimony in courts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyewitness_identification

And from the following article: "One thing to emphasize - a false eyewitness identification does NOT mean that the witness was lying. The witness is convinced that the identification is correct. Psychological research confirms this. ... What emerges from all this is the idea that a witness' degree of certainty does not necessarily have any connection to the actual truth of the identification. It is possible to be completely convinced, quite certain, and dead wrong! This principle applies in many other areas as well."

http://www.physics.smu.edu/pseudo/Eyewitness/

Which isn't to say everything we remember is a false memory, but if we remember something we later find out happened differently, it's likely a case of false memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haimago15 View Post
Hi, I am a student doing research for a speech about conspiracy theories, specifically following the Mandela Effect, which is where a group of people "mis-remember" the same detail or event. The name came from people remembering Nelson Mandela dying in prison before his death in 2013. I have heard of cases where people remember celebrities dying that are currently alive today. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could get back to me on which cases they have heard or experienced. Thank you! -Hai
Never heard of the "Mandela Effect" until a couple of weeks ago. I was reading about the BerenSTEIN / BerenSTAIN Bears "debate"

Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I have memories of Eric the midget aka Eric the actor dying. Can someone confirm or deny please?
I've never heard of Eric the midget, but since we are on the internet, I went ahead and Googled it.

Yes, he is dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_the_Actor

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never heard of Eric the midget, but since we are on the internet, I went ahead and Googled it.

Yes, he is dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_the_Actor
Wow. Thank you. So I was right. I'm going to miss that little guy.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
I have deja vu a lot but mostly about little things and I think some of it may just be my bad memory. However this one I'm actually quite sure of. I mentioned it before but Cory Monteith. Strangely enough, I never even saw Glee or anything related to it. It was from the same issue too. I also know I did not confuse it with another Cory. It was definitely Monteith.

Maybe false memories are possible but it is just too strange for me to think that. Also my mind is not neurotypical by any means. With my mental deficiencies, there is certainly room for a phenomenon of occasional deja vu to fit.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:35 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
As haimago15 says, it is called the Mandela Effect.

Apparently according to Cynthia Larson on the Art Bell Midnight in the Desert show (15 Oct 2015 artbell.com), there are 27% of people who agree that some people have been heard to have died previously - and then re-appeared as alive again and died a second time.

It seems this actually might give us a clue to the nature of reality being multidimensional or having multiple timelines, or it could be that time is not linear like we currently believe.

So, it does not appear to be just mis-remembering but actually something going on with time which we have not yet fully worked out.

In case anyone wants to read another thread here on CD on the same kind of phenomena

Old 04-18-2016, 01:28 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Ok, I have only recently been reading about this phenomena - not just celebrity deaths but other mass memory events that don't match up with our reality - and it's freaking me out a bit.

I was absolutely positive Gene Wilder died of cancer several years ago, because I remember thinking how sad it was that Gilda died of cancer and then he died of cancer, but now maybe they are together.

But Gene Wilder is alive!

I too remember Billy Graham dying.

Another point of discussion I'm reading about is when the Columbine shootings occurred - 1999, but several people seem to remember it happening in 1996.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Not exactly in the same vein, but I had a dream of a choir of men in the heavenly realm, and noted two celebrities in the mix, one I knew was dead already, one I knew was still alive. Two weeks later, the alive one died for real. It was Lenard Nimoy aka "Spock".

Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaell View Post
I have a lot of memories about celebrities who I clearly remember dying but later appeared alive again. I could swear they had died.

One of my strongest memories is about Billy Graham's death a few years ago. I have watched his funeral on tv and they were making a big deal of his death. I remember a lot of celebrities attending the funeral, and even president Obama and his wife. I even watched his son and widow on Larry King, talking about how much they missed him. Then, just recently I found out he was still alive and I almost passed out from shock.

I also remember Mandela dying in prison, as there was a whole chapter in my history book about Mandela execution and I vividly remember this day in class where the teacher talked about Mandela's death.

I have a lot of other memories about celebrities dying "before".

Is it a conspiracy? Are we switching between parallel universes? What is it?

Anyone else had similiar experiences?
Bill Graham the concert promoter died. Billy Graham the preacher did not. Nothing weird here. Just your brain mixing things up.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Reviving this thread because Gene Wilder died. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal