Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 PM

53 posts, read 72,688 times

Advertisements

In the mid 90's, I went to a shopping-mall. Near the end of the mall property, there was a drug-store that had its own entrance. I got out of my car and was walking towards the store. Less than forty feet away from me, I noticed an old woman who appeared to have a hazy outline around her body. If I had to place her in an age-bracket, she looked like she was approximately in her early to mid 80s. As she was "walking", I noticed that her feet did not touch the ground and she seemed to be gliding an inch (or two) above the parking lot pavement. Things became more eerie when she turned around and made eye contact with me. She laughed, but despite her proximity, I could not hear her laughter. But I knew she was laughing based on her facial expressions and her open mouth movements. After she stopped laughing, she stuck her tongue out at me. Then she quickly turned around and proceeded to "walk" into the drug-store. I quickly entered the store and paced up and down the aisles (for at least ten minutes) searching for the woman. I couldn't find any traces of her.

Some background information for everybody. I do not drink, nor take any recreational drugs. The day before this happened, I was on the receiving end of a severe sunburn. I may have had a mild case of sunstroke. People who come down with sunstroke occasionally have hallucinations. There is a Catholic church behind the mall property and near the church is an apartment complex for senior citizens. Perhaps she was the spirit of a lady who died in the above-mentioned complex? Or maybe somebody ran her over in the mall parking lot and her funeral took place at the above-mentioned church? Who knows!

To this day I wonder if she was a real person, a paranormal entity, or a figment of my imagination.

I welcome feedback.

Sincerely,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
It sounds like you encountered a ghost.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times
busted!
it was me.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:08 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
It was a lady and all the strange things about here were imagined by you.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMichiganman View Post
To this day I wonder if she was a real person, a paranormal entity, or a figment of my imagination.

I welcome feedback.

Sincerely,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here's my feedback -- I think it's all of the above! The fact that it's still on your mind after all these years and still resonates enough to make you post on this board for possible answers is key; people usually don't make these things up (particularly in such detail) unless they're disturbed pranksters/trollers, and I don't get that from you at all.

I feel like you did see her, and that she had been a living person but was a ghost when you saw her. I also think it might have been easier for you to see her due to the part of the "imagination" that your brain produced post-sunburn/possible fever. Also, was it very hot or very humid that day? I think they might be easier to see during that weather pattern because of the condensation that converts into droplets, which then causes a "wet haze" that makes the air appear kind of wavy. I don't know the technical term for that, but I hope you know what I mean!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 PM

53 posts, read 72,688 times
"Tobiashen", thanks for taking my post seriously. You're description of me is 100% true. I've never been a troll on any message-board in my lifetime. And now that you mention it, it WAS a VERY hot humid day. The whole experience seemed almost dreamlike. I honestly thought she was a real woman until later on. It wasn't until several days later that I started thinking to myself: "Perhaps I saw a ghost!" One thing about your response puzzles me though. How can she belong to all of the categories at the same time? How can an entity exist as a spirit, a living person and a hallucination simultaneously?

"Quaker15", if she was a real lady, how can I imagine things about her at the same time? Under normal circumstances, "flesh and blood" people cannot "float" an inch, or two, above the sidewalk. There aren't too many women who can levitate and make their bodies glow. She was either real, or not real.

Last edited by magellan; 10-14-2014 at 05:49 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I got the chills reading this because my experience of seeing an ''old lady'' ghost was similar. It was over 10 years ago in my apartment, complete with the gliding, the head turning, and the laugh. It lasted only about 10 seconds but the detail was there. I've questioned myself for years but came up with only one conclusion: I saw a ghost!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Humans are not capable of seeing spirits in human form.
There are many who claim they saw a "human spirit", but that is impossible.

Those sightings are more than likely misinterpreted by the people who said they saw a spirit.
Now, on the other hand, one could very well see a spirit that would be more aligned with perhaps a shadow, or shallow mist, or perhaps a glow of light, ranging from dull to extremely sharp, but for sure, never in human form.

I base my opinion on years of study, and research into spirits, and the afterlife.
Things are not always as they appear, and that certainly holds true when we are discussing spirits.

So how do I describe what the op saw?
It was nothing more than an apparition brought on by perhaps a momentary hallucination, which could have been the result of many different things, including loss of sleep ,over or under medicating, hunger, just to name a few.

Bob.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 AM

151 posts, read 183,704 times
Did you have the presence-of-mind to stick your tongue out at her, too! Me? I'd 'a called Ghost Busters on 'er!

CALGUY, Obviously you've never been to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. (They've got entire platoons of spectres there.)

Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times
sorry op, I didn't mean to be a dope about your experience.
fwiw I do think you saw someone real, and given her laughing and teasing demeanor I'd hope she is a kind spirit, maybe one who is still with you. Could she even be your grandmother or another loved one who is keeping an eye on you?

My grandmother came to me once when I was really worried about my children and told me she was keeping an eye on them for me. I cannot explain how I saw her or why, she'd been gone since I was a tiny kid, and I barely knew her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal