Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times

Advertisements

It would seem that most people go through their lives today without seeing a lot of obvious things. One such thing is the number of people that go missing every single year in the US alone. Did you know that ~800,000 children go completely and permanently missing each year? Did you know that ~100,000 adults likewise? So if you think about it, with ~350,000,000 people in the US, that's roughly 1 in 400 people going missing - just freakin disappear each year just in the US!

So many people seem distracted by nonsense and no one talks about this statistic, no one is working to figure out where the bodies are, who the killers or kidnappers are... you would think this would be on the news constantly and in this Information Age this mystery would be solved pretty quickly. But no... it all in my opinion seems to be swept under the rug and most people go on their merry way oblivious to what's actually happening around them.

What could be happening? Where are these people going? I think just the fact that the media and government doesn't seemed concerned tells us something is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
You should cite your sources when posting stats like this. These 800k people don't go "completely and permanently missing" rather are people under the age of 18 who are reported missing. The vast majority are eventually located.

How many children go missing every year?

'Missing' to 'Recovered': Finding Abducted Kids - ABC News

There are of course thousands of people who go missing every year who are never located - many are never even reported because they've already fallen through the cracks and sadly no one really cares.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Agreed, The vast majority of both children and even adults are eventually located. Many children may run away or wander off and adults may sometimes get tired of their life situation and just start over elsewhere. This is not against the law and even law enforcement can only inform family and friends that the person is safe but not reveal any more details unless some external circumstance prevails.

I think nearly everyone has gone through a period where they thought about packing one bag-And walking into the night to go somewhere far away. This usually is not the answer to troubles but sometimes it is.

Some info from a CNN report:

At-a-glance: Missing persons in the U.S.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
I watched a documentary not too long ago about all the missing people in National Parks. The park employees don't talk about this according to the documentary. Many people go into a National Park on a vacation or on a day's outing and disappear. Many people that disappear were very close to their friends or family friends when all of a sudden they were gone.

Another place where people vanish is in Alaska.

Were bad people responsible? Wild life? The exposure? Spooky stuff.

-Cheers.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I watched a documentary not too long ago about all the missing people in National Parks. The park employees don't talk about this according to the documentary. Many people go into a National Park on a vacation or on a day's outing and disappear. Many people that disappear were very close to their friends or family friends when all of a sudden they were gone.

Another place where people vanish is in Alaska.

Were bad people responsible? Wild life? The exposure? Spooky stuff.

-Cheers.
Not surprising. Having hiked in most of the national parks, I wouldn't have any problem believing people simply disappear. If you are not careful you could easily end up dead once you get outside of the main tourist areas. This is especially true in any of the parks that are mountainous. Not only is the terrain dangerous, but most of these parks are full of things that will happily eat you.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Not surprising. Having hiked in most of the national parks, I wouldn't have any problem believing people simply disappear. If you are not careful you could easily end up dead once you get outside of the main tourist areas. This is especially true in any of the parks that are mountainous. Not only is the terrain dangerous, but most of these parks are full of things that will happily eat you.
Author David Paulides has profiled hundreds of these cases. I think a lot of people especially city dwellers underestimate the dangers in wilderness areas. Its easy to get turned around in just a few yards or slip and fall somewhere. And then of course the predators that reside there.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
You should cite your sources when posting stats like this. These 800k people don't go "completely and permanently missing" rather are people under the age of 18 who are reported missing. The vast majority are eventually located.

How many children go missing every year?

'Missing' to 'Recovered': Finding Abducted Kids - ABC News

There are of course thousands of people who go missing every year who are never located - many are never even reported because they've already fallen through the cracks and sadly no one really cares.
Reported missing especially with young people is quite inaccurate as to what OP is talking about; people who go missing not of their own accord .Police call them runaways to distinguish the difference.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Some of those missing kids are the result of parental custody battles. The non-custodial parent decides to take matters into his/her own hands. Or a battered spouse runs away with the kid/s to a safe house, then leaves the state to start over elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Author David Paulides has profiled hundreds of these cases. I think a lot of people especially city dwellers underestimate the dangers in wilderness areas. Its easy to get turned around in just a few yards or slip and fall somewhere. And then of course the predators that reside there.
I really do not like his books. I feel misled by them. I actually gave them away to charity because I found them to be stupid and insult my intelligence. As a hiker that goes off-trail a lot, there are a lot of dangers out there.

His criteria is below...
Victim has a disability.
Victim was playing with his or her dog at time of disappearance.
Victim leaves with dog.
Inclement weather hits the area at the time the victim disappears.
Search dogs cannot find the victim's scent.
Victim is found uphill from where they go missing.
Victim is found in a creek bed.
Victim is found without shoes.
Victim is found dazed or confused.
Searchers cannot find the victim -- a relative found Casey.
Victim is another part of a growing cluster of missing.

Disability is vague. If it is a mental disability it is easily explained by a lack of rational decision making. Dogs attract mountain lions and or large predators, especially if there is a child there. Tracking dogs aren't 100& reliable, especially since the searches begin after a storm that has gone on for a decent amount of time (24+ hours). People are going uphill to get and over look of the area or following the creek in hopes of it leading them to civilization. The lack of shoes and or the confusion can be explained by at least one of the reasons below. Relatives finding the victim isn't a big deal. More than anything people's memories are faulty, especially in stressful situations.

99.999% of disappearance can be explained by dehydration (especially in the desert and or at high altitude), hypothermia (it doesn't need to be below or at freezing to get hypothermia...you just need to get wet), eating toxic vegetation (berries, mushrooms, etc.), serious injury while solo hiking and or a pre-existing medical condition, their own ignorance (don't have the right gear, knowledge, and or skills), drowning, an animal attack, suicide, or criminal activity.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Some of those missing kids are the result of parental custody battles. The non-custodial parent decides to take matters into his/her own hands. Or a battered spouse runs away with the kid/s to a safe house, then leaves the state to start over elsewhere.
Having these figures would really cut into the number of disappearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal