Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. This is the first time I'm posting something like this because I seriously cannot explain this. So last night the bf and I had a terrible time of sleeping. We were tossing and turning. It sucked. So I'm on my back and he's on his side and he actually fell asleep. I'm just sitting there wide awake. All of a sudden I smell sulfur-like someone just blew out a match. I'm like wth??? It goes away. About 10 seconds later, I smell it again. Like it came across my face again. I'm ok?? Goes away-10 seconds later I smell it again. So now I'm like wtf. Then all of a sudden on my feet, which are covered by the blanket, the blanket ruffles. Almost like a strong wind had pushed it and so it did a "wave". I hope this is making sense because I don't know how else to say it. I can tell you this there's no fan in my bedroom that would have caused that. I felt it move. No animals or nothing would have caused this. So I immediately freak out and wake the bf up and tell him what happened. He has no idea.

Any ideas of what occurred??? I swear I'm a perfectly sane person. Maybe not nice sometimes, but perfectly sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Smelling such strange smells can be indicative of a number of medical conditions. Officially it is termed Parosmia or abhorrent odor perception.

Unfortunately the number of conditions it can be symptomatic of are varied so I can not give you much actual advice without much more information that really only your GP should be asking you. It is commonly associated with rhino-sinusitis, head trauma, viral infection, oral problems, damage to the olfactory cells, an infection of the nasal sinuses or abnormal thinning or thickening of the inner lining of nose, an exposure to toxic radiations or chemicals (such as lead, those in insecticides), an epileptic condition, certain disorders of the brain stem, psychological & psychiatric illnesses (eg. schizophrenia), smoking or alcohol intake or even a recent choice to quit such things. And those are just a few of the things associated with it. It could be anything from Sjogren's syndrome to hypothyroidism.

As others have said it could be as simple as flatulence on the part of your boyfriend, but should it re-occur then I would certainly advise taking a medical option for explanation before you consider much else.

I have read also that zinc cold remedies can cause this if you have tried any of those recently.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Smelling such strange smells can be indicative of a number of medical conditions. Officially it is termed Parosmia or abhorrent odor perception.

Unfortunately the number of conditions it can be symptomatic of are varied so I can not give you much actual advice without much more information that really only your GP should be asking you. It is commonly associated with rhino-sinusitis, head trauma, viral infection, oral problems, damage to the olfactory cells, an infection of the nasal sinuses or abnormal thinning or thickening of the inner lining of nose, an exposure to toxic radiations or chemicals (such as lead, those in insecticides), an epileptic condition, certain disorders of the brain stem, psychological & psychiatric illnesses (eg. schizophrenia), smoking or alcohol intake or even a recent choice to quit such things. And those are just a few of the things associated with it. It could be anything from Sjogren's syndrome to hypothyroidism.

As others have said it could be as simple as flatulence on the part of your boyfriend, but should it re-occur then I would certainly advise taking a medical option for explanation before you consider much else.

I have read also that zinc cold remedies can cause this if you have tried any of those recently.
Yep -- in fact, I don't drink enough water often, and when I get really dehydrated I smell phantom cigarette smoke.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hi guys. This is the first time I'm posting something like this because I seriously cannot explain this. So last night the bf and I had a terrible time of sleeping. We were tossing and turning. It sucked. So I'm on my back and he's on his side and he actually fell asleep. I'm just sitting there wide awake. All of a sudden I smell sulfur-like someone just blew out a match. I'm like wth??? It goes away. About 10 seconds later, I smell it again. Like it came across my face again. I'm ok?? Goes away-10 seconds later I smell it again. So now I'm like wtf. Then all of a sudden on my feet, which are covered by the blanket, the blanket ruffles. Almost like a strong wind had pushed it and so it did a "wave". I hope this is making sense because I don't know how else to say it. I can tell you this there's no fan in my bedroom that would have caused that. I felt it move. No animals or nothing would have caused this. So I immediately freak out and wake the bf up and tell him what happened. He has no idea.

Any ideas of what occurred??? I swear I'm a perfectly sane person. Maybe not nice sometimes, but perfectly sane.

Could be that you were falling asleep but didn't realize it. You could have been dreaming. Possibly your bf moved and made the cover ruffle? I dream some weird stuff when I'm drifting off to sleep and I think I'm awake.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:41 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
But not all sulfuric odors can be farts... what if there's a gas leak in the house of neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yep farts can smell like sulfur. Silent but deadly.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Could be that you were falling asleep but didn't realize it. You could have been dreaming. Possibly your bf moved and made the cover ruffle? I dream some weird stuff when I'm drifting off to sleep and I think I'm awake.
Yes to this.

I recently posted on another thread about how I will sometimes wake up, take a shower, get dressed, and be ready to go for the day.
And then my alarm goes off and I wake up.
I have dreamed the whole thing about showering, etc. It seems VERY REAL. It is not.

The human mind is an amazing organ!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:28 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
No I was fully awake. I made sure I moved to make sure I was awake and not dreaming. And no bf didn't move the bedcover.

No gas leak. We're in an apt building and it definitely wasn't leaking gas I smelled.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No I was fully awake. I made sure I moved to make sure I was awake and not dreaming. And no bf didn't move the bedcover.

No gas leak. We're in an apt building and it definitely wasn't leaking gas I smelled.
Well, in that case...

Who you gonna call?...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:47 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. A strong sulfur smell drifted through the open window in my bedroom. I went out to look around, but couldn't see anything. A visit with Uncle Google told me that sometimes meth makers sometimes use sulfur.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Default Something very odd happened last night..

himain
I have also smelled sulfur. There was a lot of "weirdness" happening one night. First, I came home, took some groceries inside. My son asked where Kita was (our Siberian Husky). I told him she was in pen. He said No she isn't, she was standing by the patio doors, He then said that he was getting up to pet her but then she gone. I looked in the pen and she was in there. I knew it was a sign. A lot of stuff did happen, but I will stick with the sulfur smell. I called a friend to come down. After she got to my house, I went back to my car to get some colas. When I came back to the patio door, a big smell strong smell of sulfur like hit me in the face. Friend was opening the door and I asked if she smelled that. She looked me puzzled and said no, what did you smell. It was only one big "proof" for me. It made me think of witchcraft . That is just me. I really don't know what it was, but it was sulfur. It was not a fart or somebody making dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal