Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:33 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Berries, fish, maybe small critters like rabbit.
You mean like bears? And you know what else we have for bears? LOTS of evidence of their existence. Photos, movies, bones, specimens in captivity.

For a large mammal to survive in the wild, it MUST have two things: A sizeable breeding population, and a high calorie diet. Producing all that body heat takes a lot of calories, and the bigger the mammal, the more food needed.

Bears survive by being omnivorous. They'll eat anything. And because they are hunters, they have to go where the food is, which means we have lots of opportunities to photograph and tag them. Even so, they still can't survive a North American winter, so they have evolved to hibernate.

Other large primates (gorillas, orangutans, chimps, etc.) must live in environments with LOTS of lush food year round. Lots and lots of fruit or other nutrient rich plants --- which do not exist in the Pacific Northwest. The one species of primate that was able to break out of that environment (humans), did so by hunting. Humans have to become predators.

There simply isn't enough food for Bigfoot to eat in its supposed environment. Not without Bigfoot becoming an apex predator.

Which leads to the whole breeding population issue. In order for Bigfoot to stay healthy and secretive in the woods rather than playing banjo on the porch, you would need several hundred healthy individuals. If there were several hundred eight foot carnivorous primates roaming the Pacific Northwest, I can guarantee that someone would have a photograph or a corpse by now.

Bigfoot being the pet of visiting aliens makes more sense than a large primate roaming the Pacific Northwest.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
We find new animals every so many years.We find new fish and so forth.Evolution is happening.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:12 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
We find new animals every so many years.We find new fish and so forth.Evolution is happening.
Sure. Every year, we discover new small animals in very remote parts of the world. We don't find 500 pound primates hiding in densely populated areas.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What would a breeding population of large primates eat in the Pacific Northwest? Pine needles aren't that nutritious.
I would guess a similar diet to the grizzly bear, rather than the eastern black bear: plants, fruits, small mammals, fish, grubs. But we know a lot more about their diet now, thanks to the efforts of experts like Bobo and Matt Moneymaker. (sarcasm alert). I seriously doubt that if they existed they'd be taking down elk and deer like the BF boys claim. The only reason we became top predators is the invention of tools, and I haven't heard of any BFs carrying spears or bows and arrows.

But as JerZ points out, that would mean a lot of foraging ... which adds to the "if they exist, where the h*** are they" argument. A lot of foraging means a lot more opportunities to be observed by people.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
The new animals are found because no one outside of the area knew they existed, not because they've evolved out of something else. Often the indigenous people know of the animals.

Case in point: the coelocanth which was thought to have been extinct for hundreds of millions of years until an ichthyologist found one in a fish market in Africa. I suspect the response of the fisherman when asked went something like, "yeah, we catch those once in a while; they're big, but they're bony".

Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
We aren't talking about evolution, we are talking about a LARGE primate roaming the american continent and nobody has ever produced substantial evidence that they exist.

None have been found washed up along rivers after a flood or struck by lightening or shot by hunters or even reliably filmed.

Finding some new species of fish 15,000 feet down in some trench is not remotely comparable.

Also, many of the "new" discoveries are genetic tests done on currently know species that instead shifts them to a new category.

So, that being said, you never answered my question. How many years would need to pass before the bigfoot stuff is bunk? 10? 20? 30? More?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Oh, not to mention that a dead real bigfoot would be worth at least 10 million.

For the guys that keep claiming to see them, to hear them etc. it's kinda funny they can't bag one.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, not to mention that a dead real bigfoot would be worth at least 10 million.

For the guys that keep claiming to see them, to hear them etc. it's kinda funny they can't bag one.
And that explains why there are so many hoaxers.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Hey Mathguy.I set out back in the late 90's to debunk this phenomena and i have failed to do so.There is plenty BF stuff going on that you will never hear about. I have a spot in OK that i have taken three guys two and two of them refuse to go back. One was a Wildlife Biologist and he laughed at me all the way to OK. When the action started he started crying on me.

As with others i offer you too to go along with me in Oklahoma. You and i have debated politics in the past.
You can go if you want and bring one friend along. Please don't be smug and have an attitude about this.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
I'm waiting for a "small foot" campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal