Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times

Advertisements

Thinking back to a psychology class I took 20 plus years ago, we were discussing how hard we humans attempt to hold onto our beliefs, no matter how unrealistic. The subject of the belief in Bigfoot came up and the best argument brought up against the existence was not the lack of proof of a live Bigfoot, but the fact that nobody has ever produced any remains of a dead Bigfoot. This is a huge hominid, and nobody can produce a body, not even a bone.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Thinking back to a psychology class I took 20 plus years ago, we were discussing how hard we humans attempt to hold onto our beliefs, no matter how unrealistic. The subject of the belief in Bigfoot came up and the best argument brought up against the existence was not the lack of proof of a live Bigfoot, but the fact that nobody has ever produced any remains of a dead Bigfoot. This is a huge hominid, and nobody can produce a body, not even a bone.
Humans get killed crossing our roads and we like to think of ourselves as the smartest animals! If these 'creatures' are so smart, that they have never been hit on our roads; why are a mess of dummies, making fools of themselves screaming their heads off, and chasing them around with flashlights! Perhaps we should leave copies of our SAT's in the woods and see if something scores perfect 1600's!

Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If a North American wood ape species exists, the prevailing presumption seems to be it's omnivorous. And reported sightings/accounts almost always occur in heavily wooded water-rich areas, which could provide ample food and cover for a limited population:

source: Wood Ape Sightings: Correlations to Annual Rainfall Totals, Waterways, Human Population Densities and Black Bear Habitat Zones
An interesting article, though I've seen the rainfall correlation before. Most of this stuff is suggestive and my reaction to it is: there's enough material out there to support privately-funded research and attempts at finding bigfoot/wood apes/whatever, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I haven't seen anything yet that would make me put the 10% odds of existence higher.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Humans get killed crossing our roads and we like to think of ourselves as the smartest animals!
Many animal species never get killed on a road, even when the roads are busy and the animals are plentiful. I've never seen a monkey killed on the road and I've never heard of a baboon being killed on the road. Humans on the other hand like to live dangerously.

As is pointed out in the article, finding remains of common large animals is rare in these locations. Yet I have found cattle remains in a very wet forest, probably not very old. But then we have cool wet winters and warm dry summers and things don't decay much in the cold or dry (not that dry in a forest even in the dry season). But considering the number of animals ina forest and the amount of hunting, the finding of skeletal remains is rare. Bones are quickly covered by leaf litter and decay quite quickly in a forest. How often do hikers and hunters come across bear remains in a forest?

One point to consider, if these creatures do exist and they are dying, they are likely to go to a quite, secluded and hidden spot to do so, just like cats and some dogs do (excluding city cats and dogs that have no choice).

Last edited by 303Guy; 11-08-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
What's the expiration date on ghosts, fairies, ufo's, angles, aliens, and visions of the Virgin Mary? A case can be made that Bigfoot falls into the same category. I don't know the answer to any of this. I can say that if I ever did see a bigfoot, that would mark the expiration date on my underwear

Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
According to National Geographic 86% of the species on the planet have yet to be identified.

So, does it include bigfoot? Who knows, unindentified species and interbreeding?

Recently in news; we evolved from Neanderthal interbreeding 45,000 yrs ago, genetics show we all have at least 2% in our own genetics.

86 Percent of Earth's Species Still Unknown?

Last edited by virgode; 11-08-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-08-2014, 06:29 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Many animal species never get killed on a road, even when the roads are busy and the animals are plentiful. I've never seen a monkey killed on the road and I've never heard of a baboon being killed on the road. Humans on the other hand like to live dangerously.
There are many animals that are very cautious about crossing or being in roads - like crows. But you still see them dead from time to time. I even ran over two crows many years ago. House cats are cautious about crossing our roads - but you still see them dead on the side of the road.

Lets pretend that Big Foot is not good with the birds and bees and that their population is very small. Of course the odds would be less of finding any road kill. But, when you consider the millions of vehicles on our roads and the miles traveled every year; there is still a very good chance that one would end up with tire tracks and a 'reportable'.

I used to travel 100,000 miles ever year as a commercial truck driver. I was always looking for wildlife or signs of wildlife to kill time. Pristine snow is a great way to see signs of wildlife in any area. How many times has this nocturnal, screaming, bigfoot hunting crew ever filmed tracks in the snow for miles? It would be easy to do with helicopters. You could follow the tracks right to the creature. Besides; not all of them hibernate for the winter - look at the good old Yeti.

Every year that goes by makes the odds of finding one less likely. It makes a good science fiction TV programs and it sells books. But you have to come up with solid proof if you want real believers.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
According to National Geographic 86% of the species on the planet have yet to be identified.

So, does it include bigfoot? Who knows, unindentified species and interbreeding?
Almost all of those will be single-celled organisms, insects, and plankton.

"God has an inordinate fondness for stars and beetles." -- J.B.S Haldane

Quote:
Recently in news; we evolved from Neanderthal interbreeding 45,000 yrs ago, genetics show we all have at least 2% in our own genetics.
What are you suggesting: bigfoot is a hybrid between humans and ... what? Eeeww.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are many animals that are very cautious about crossing or being in roads - like crows. But you still see them dead from time to time. I even ran over two crows many years ago. House cats are cautious about crossing our roads - but you still see them dead on the side of the road.

Lets pretend that Big Foot is not good with the birds and bees and that their population is very small. Of course the odds would be less of finding any road kill. But, when you consider the millions of vehicles on our roads and the miles traveled every year; there is still a very good chance that one would end up with tire tracks and a 'reportable'.

I used to travel 100,000 miles ever year as a commercial truck driver. I was always looking for wildlife or signs of wildlife to kill time. Pristine snow is a great way to see signs of wildlife in any area. How many times has this nocturnal, screaming, bigfoot hunting crew ever filmed tracks in the snow for miles? It would be easy to do with helicopters. You could follow the tracks right to the creature. Besides; not all of them hibernate for the winter - look at the good old Yeti.

Every year that goes by makes the odds of finding one less likely. It makes a good science fiction TV programs and it sells books. But you have to come up with solid proof if you want real believers.
You couldn't snow-track it with helicopters in heavily forested areas, especially evergreen forests. Not that I believe they exist, but just saying.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Almost all of those will be single-celled organisms, insects, and plankton.

"God has an inordinate fondness for stars and beetles." -- J.B.S Haldane

What are you suggesting: bigfoot is a hybrid between humans and ... what? Eeeww.
Regarding the undiscovered mentioned above, Yep! Vasily gets it.

As for Neanderthals to the OP, we have fossil evidence that they existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal