Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What would a breeding population of large primates eat in the Pacific Northwest? Pine needles aren't that nutritious.
What do moose and brown bears eat in the Pacific Northwest?

Sasquatch aside, your question sounds rather silly when placed in that perspective.

Quote:
Sure. Every year, we discover new small animals in very remote parts of the world. We don't find 500 pound primates hiding in densely populated areas.
Since when has the Pacific Northwest been considered "densely populated"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The expiration date will be when every single square inch in North America is paved over, but even then there will be people claiming "bigfoot hides in the sewers/caves/underground tunnels they built". It is astonishing how obtuse people can be to facts, and how desperate they are to hold on to some unsubstantiated belief.
While not a die-hard believer by any stretch, I do find the sasquatch legend fascinating. Living in Canada, one does not have to go far to find large expanses of land which could easily support a breeding population of such creatures. The Pacific Northwest and the northern stretches of Ontario's boreal forest are two places which are vast, sparsely populated and largely unexplored where they could live undetected. However, I think it is patently silly to expect such a thing to be hanging out in the spit of woods behind a Georgia trailer park.

As to why nobody has found the body of a dead squatch... It isn't hard to tell when you are debating with city folk lol. I am an avid hunter and have logged countless hours in the woods and have yet to find the body of a deer, black bear or moose that wasn't dropped by someone in my hunting party. The chances of finding the intact body of an animal as rare as a squatch that allegedly lives in rather remote locations to begin with would be would be akin to that of winning the lottery.

FWIW, Les Stroud (aka Survivorman) has gone on record that he personally believes in the existence of sasquatch. Stroud, a hardcore outdoorsman and survivalist, has toughed it out through countless survival situations in some of the most hostile climates on the planet. All I can say is if Les Stroud says that squatch is real, than that is good enough for me. The dude makes Bear Grylls look like a pansy.

Last edited by Annuvin; 11-12-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
What do moose and brown bears eat in the Pacific Northwest?
Lots of plants. And bears also eat lots of fish and other meats. But because they require so much food, you know what we have? Evidence of their existence. We can actually find moose and deer and bear feeding in the wild. The actual physical evidence for a large North American primate (except for humans) is zilch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Since when has the Pacific Northwest been considered "densely populated"?
Well, at least on the US side of the border, it's been very densely populated for a good 40 years or more now. It doesn't mean that every square mile is covered. But a breeding population of large animals like bears or elk or Bigfoot require a certain amount of space. Because that space is limited we see lots of evidence of bears and elk and moose and deer and goats, even in the remotest parts of Canada. What we haven't found is a single scrap of evidence of a breeding population of large primates. No dead body. No bones. No credible photographs. Not even any droppings. If Bigfoot exists in North America, it must have the world's most sophisticated invisible sewage system.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:57 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Lots of plants. And bears also eat lots of fish and other meats. But because they require so much food, you know what we have? Evidence of their existence. We can actually find moose and deer and bear feeding in the wild. The actual physical evidence for a large North American primate (except for humans) is zilch.

Well, at least on the US side of the border, it's been very densely populated for a good 40 years or more now. It doesn't mean that every square mile is covered. But a breeding population of large animals like bears or elk or Bigfoot require a certain amount of space. Because that space is limited we see lots of evidence of bears and elk and moose and deer and goats, even in the remotest parts of Canada. What we haven't found is a single scrap of evidence of a breeding population of large primates. No dead body. No bones. No credible photographs. Not even any droppings. If Bigfoot exists in North America, it must have the world's most sophisticated invisible sewage system.
Just because you haven't seen a good photograph or a pile of BF crap does not mean anything.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Just because you haven't seen a good photograph or a pile of BF crap does not mean anything.
It's worse than that. No one has ever seen a convincing photo of Bigfoot or found droppings. Or a bone. Or a tuft of hair they couldn't identify. No one. After 50+ years of heavy searching. Non-evidence says a lot.

If Bigfoot exists in North America, it must be supernatural, but there is no evidence such a creature exists in our ecosystem --- and a whole lot of reasons why it can't.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It's worse than that. No one has ever seen a convincing photo of Bigfoot or found droppings. Or a bone. Or a tuft of hair they couldn't identify. No one. After 50+ years of heavy searching. Non-evidence says a lot.

If Bigfoot exists in North America, it must be supernatural, but there is no evidence such a creature exists in our ecosystem --- and a whole lot of reasons why it can't.
You just do not know the right people. Supernatural? I wouldn't know how to tell.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You just do not know the right people. Supernatural? I wouldn't know how to tell.
The same people who are sharing a slushie with Elvis at 7-11?

Seriously. If someone has credible evidence, they would come forward. They'd be instantly rich.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:

Plenty of people have found bones, etc..of what they THOUGHT was bigfoot. Unfortunetly a scientist did DNA tests recently on a whole bunch of these claimed bigfoot skulls and bone fragments and found them to be just everyday known animals.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The same people who are sharing a slushie with Elvis at 7-11?

Seriously. If someone has credible evidence, they would come forward. They'd be instantly rich.
Getting money out of this is a slippery slope. Think about your life being changed for ever. There are many that don't care one bit about the money. They know what they know and they don't want their privacy ruined.

There are many instances that a hunter could have shot one but they looked to human to them. Would you shoot something that looked some what human?

Last edited by Versatile; 11-12-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Getting money out of this is a slippery slope. Think about your life being changed for ever.
Yeah. My bank account filled with all those six figure numbers. That would be really rough.

Quote:
There are many instances that a hunter could have shot one but they looked to human to them. Would you shoot something that looked some what human?
With a camera? You bet! I'd keep clicking that button till Sasquatch loped off or ripped it from my fingers.

With a gun? I make it a policy not to shoot anything unless I'm 100% certain what I'm shooting at.

We're not talking about a new subspecies of rodent or grasshopper. We're talking about a supposedly 8 foot primate. A mammal of that size is going to need a lot of room and food to survive, and breeding population at a minimum of several hundred individuals. Do you really think it's possible for a thousand or more 8 foot primates to:

a.) Eat that many calories each day without once being seen by a photographer in 50+ years?

b.) Not once be hit by a car, shot by a hunter, shot by a survivalist enclave, or shot by a nervous homeowner?

c.) Not once be seen enough for a clear definitive photograph?

Listen. No one would LOVE for Bigfoot to be real more than me. It would be a thousand kinds of awesome. But there is zero credible evidence, and a whole lot of reasons why it doesn't exist.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
b.) Not once be hit by a car, ...
I consider that point to be quite possible, having seen how cautious monkeys and baboons are when crossing a road. Never saw a run over monkey and never found a dead one that wasn't deliberately killed. There is a claim by a hunter to have shot and killed a young big foot. The body had been removed from the makeshift grave (buried to hide the fact). Most convenient but in line with big foot removing their dead, especially a mother. A baboon will carry its dead young around for days.

A comparative rare animal that not many folks see is the mountain lion (in areas where it is thought they don't exist but there are unproven sightings. No dead ones found and no pooh but the occasional foot print (I think?)

Then there is the question of hoaxers muddying the waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal