Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times

Advertisements

OKAY am I the only one that sees a penis pushing the space ship out of the clouds or has that double shift and only 4 hours of sleep this morning fried my brain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 03:31 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It could be the space ship that brought Jesus from his home planet.
And that would mean that the Abrahamic god is an alien.
There is speculation that the culture of the area, the Sumerians, have claims of being visited by aliens. It was aliens that gave the society advanced mathematics. But perhaps these claims are misunderstood. What might be thought as 'out there' meaning some sort of conciousness is portrayed as 'up there'.
Today that would be depicted as a lightbulb drawn over a persons head.
The drawing does not mean that a light bulb magically suspended over a persons head will light up. But that's how it might be understood eons from now.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Oh - and BTW...I am not a disbeliever in aliens or UFOs....I have actually seen one.
A UFO or an alien?!

Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyph View Post
A new painting that was found in Romania in a church from the 16th century clearly shows an odd saucer shaped UFO over a building.

I thought this was pretty interesting. There are a lot of them out there. There must be something to this.
I know little about symbolisms and ancient art, looking at the web link they certainly resemble aircraft unthought of at that time. Aliens if that's what you wish to call them aren't new to the planet, we aren't the only intelligent life in an endless universe.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Images out of their cultural and artistic contexts are subject to misinterpretation since we read our own assumptions into them. See e.g. the image of the homunculus is a sperm here;

Preformationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
... we aren't the only intelligent life in an endless universe.
That's a pretty strong claim to make considering we have no evidence of any kind of life, not to mention intelligent life, anywhere other than the Earth. We have no way of knowing whether we are alone in the universe or not. I would think there's at least microbial life elsewhere, but again, we have no evidence to draw such a conclusion. It's just speculation. What evidence do you have to say "we aren't the only intelligent life in an endless universe"? And how do you know the universe is "endless"?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:11 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's a pretty strong claim to make considering we have no evidence of any kind of life, not to mention intelligent life, anywhere other than the Earth. We have no way of knowing whether we are alone in the universe or not. I would think there's at least microbial life elsewhere, but again, we have no evidence to draw such a conclusion. It's just speculation. What evidence do you have to say "we aren't the only intelligent life in an endless universe"? And how do you know the universe is "endless"?
Based on the Great Filter, my guess is, sterile planets are everywhere, most star systems have microbial life on one or more planets, multicellular life will be found in a relatively large number of systems, large animal analogues are relatively scarce, intelligent life is rare, and finding technological species capable of traveling between the stars is like looking for hen's teeth. It's very possible we're the only technological species at the present time in this galaxy ... and the likelihood of present or past visits by an advanced civilization is vanishingly small.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,630,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Based on the Great Filter, my guess is, sterile planets are everywhere, most star systems have microbial life on one or more planets, multicellular life will be found in a relatively large number of systems, large animal analogues are relatively scarce, intelligent life is rare, and finding technological species capable of traveling between the stars is like looking for hen's teeth. It's very possible we're the only technological species at the present time in this galaxy ... and the likelihood of present or past visits by an advanced civilization is vanishingly small.
I pretty much agree with same line of thinking as you've mentioned here, but we're still at an early stage that we have no idea one way or the other, so it's just speculation. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean that any ideas on the subject are fact or not based on actual knowledge.

Maybe we're in a pretty dry zone in the galaxy, and other planets with life are just too far away for communication. If there is intelligent life relatively nearby, say within a thousand light years or so, and if they developed about the same time historically as we did, and have developed communication using radio signals, then it could be a very long time before we hear from them, if ever. One question worth raising is just how far can radio signals travel and still be a clear enough signal to receive and comprehend. While radio signals can expand out from its source indefinitely, the smaller the transmission source, the weaker the signal becomes. Eventually it becomes mixed with all the other radio noises in the galaxy to the point that it can no longer be detected without a receiver that it far more powerful than any available for us today.

Using that same one thousand light year distance, if there is a planet with life on it that has similar capabilities as we do for radio communication, it's going to remain a long time before we pick up any broadcast signals from them. That still leaves us in the position of not knowing one way or the other. In any case, if we picked a signal tomorrow from that distant planet, it would mean that they were at our stage of advancement 1000 years ago.

If we could find any kind of microbial life elsewhere in the solar system that definitely did not originate from the Earth, that is not contaminated by Earth microbes, although it still wouldn't definitely answer the question about life on planets of other stars, it'd be a huge step forward in our understanding that life could indeed emerge on other planets or moons, which increases the probability of life emerging on planets of other stars.

While it's easy to say there's a probability that there's life elsewhere in the galaxy and the rest of the universe (mind-bogglingly large numbers of stars) we also have to consider that the emergence of life on Earth seems to be an incredibly complex story. If the Earth is an example of how intelligent life can emerge on a planet, then I think the odds are very slim it has happened elsewhere in the galaxy. The exception would be that complex life could emerge under very different conditions. So, we're back to where we started. We don't know because we haven't found any strong evidence of life other than here on Earth.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,638 times
I wouldn't consider it "just speculation". If you accept everything that we know about the origins and formation of the universe as valid and correct, then it is totally absurd to suggest that for some reason our solar system, and more specifically, our planet, is the one and only place where all of the factors that result in the creation of (intelligent) life have come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 AM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
It's not Romanian. The architecture of the church, and the caption underneath, are both Gothic/German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal