Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times

Advertisements

Today me and my husband were outside prepping our above ground pool for a winter cover. It was a beautiful, clear blue sky day. Matter of fact, not a cloud in the sky.

Ever since I was young I've had an obsession with planes. When my son - now 26 - was young I use to take him to the airport so he could see the planes take off and land.

Ironically, he now works in the airline industry.

So, while we were out prepping the pool I heard a plane flying overhead so I looked up to look at it. Although I could hear it flying directly above us I couldn't see it anywhere.

It sounded like one of those older, small planes. I kept looking for it as I could hear it flying over but still couldn't see it. I asked my husband to look up and see if he could see it and he couldn't find it either even though we both were hearing it clear as a bell.

We both stood out there watching above and around the sky as we heard the plane flying over but neither one of us ever saw it. My husband called it the "invisible plane".

I just thought it was weird. The plane sounded like it was low flying so I know we should have been able to see it easily. Even if it were high above we should have been able to see it on such a clear day.

It was just weird. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Wonder woman. She always does that. It freaks people out.
One day, I want to catch her when she's wearing her invisible clothes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJX5IMu63qQ

Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Could you have assumed it was directly overhead when in fact it was past your roof so as to sound overhead but was past your sight line?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
We have a museum nearby that has a number WW2 era planes that routinely fly around and they are quite distinct to hear at a distance and determining the exact location is not always easy. I've been left wondering where the plane(s) were on a number of occasions. But it's impossible for me to know what you experienced so I really can't comment.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Wonder woman. She always does that. It freaks people out.
One day, I want to catch her when she's wearing her invisible clothes.
You and my husband both!

His crush on her started at age eight and is still going strong.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
The airplane was out of your site. I live near the Ontario Inter'l Airport and Rialto Municipal Airport (CA) and this happens all of the time. There are days when the sky is 100% clear with no clouds and sunny and I can hear airplanes overhead and for the life in me and I cannot see them. This is mainly smaller aircraft. The commercial jetliners are easy to spot (Southwest, Alaska Airlines and even UPS cargo aircraft).

-Cheers.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Today me and my husband were outside prepping our above ground pool for a winter cover. It was a beautiful, clear blue sky day. Matter of fact, not a cloud in the sky.

Ever since I was young I've had an obsession with planes. When my son - now 26 - was young I use to take him to the airport so he could see the planes take off and land.

Ironically, he now works in the airline industry.

So, while we were out prepping the pool I heard a plane flying overhead so I looked up to look at it. Although I could hear it flying directly above us I couldn't see it anywhere.

It sounded like one of those older, small planes. I kept looking for it as I could hear it flying over but still couldn't see it. I asked my husband to look up and see if he could see it and he couldn't find it either even though we both were hearing it clear as a bell.

We both stood out there watching above and around the sky as we heard the plane flying over but neither one of us ever saw it. My husband called it the "invisible plane".

I just thought it was weird. The plane sounded like it was low flying so I know we should have been able to see it easily. Even if it were high above we should have been able to see it on such a clear day.

It was just weird. Any thoughts?
Could be a low flying crop-duster that was off in the distance below the treeline of the horizon and out of view.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
How well sound carries depends on a lot of factors. I live about a mile from the train tracks but there are times when it sounds like they're in the next block.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Weather phenomena can do strange things to sound. I was riding a bicycle cross-country one Sunday morning a few years back, when I noticed a row of dark clouds off to the NW. This was in Oklahoma, and I was fearful I would be hit by one of the area's dreaded Blue Northerners. I turned on my Sonic Walkman radio. Not a station came in, even though there was a strong FM station less than 20 miles away. I turned to AM with the same result. Finally, a station blared through my earphones so loud I almost crashed! It was from a station in a tiny Missouri town almost 400 miles away. I'll never forget the song they were playing: Jesus Loved Grandmaw 'Cause She Sang Off Key. After the front passed, the sky cleared and I could get all kinds of stations on the radio

Old 10-25-2014, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
This happens frequently where I live, because we are within easy flying distance of an airport that regularly hosts vintage planes. They have very distinctive engine noise, but it doesn't seem to carry well, and they are far off by the time it is heard. Have seen B-29's, P-38's, biplanes, etc., but they are hard to see; they don't fly nearly as high as planes today, and get lost in the trees on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal