Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 AM

65 posts, read 82,111 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have this happen to them?
Everyone who lives in my apartment smells this.
It is getting to be everyday but just in certain areas of our apartment.
I go outside and don't smell anything our windows are closed too.
I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Too little information.
Obvious first questions are...is this a brand new place where nobody has ever smoked?
Are there all furnishings and clothing that have never been smoked around?
Is it actually cigarette smoke smell or any chance of it being just something similar?
You're in Florida. Is it worse when the humidity is higher?
Did you think to put this in the House section or would you prefer an answer like Ghosts that smoke?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
We stopped smoking fifteen years ago and can still smell cigarette smoke around our windows. It is very hard, if not almost impossible, to remove all of the tar left behind from smoking. In general our house smells better because we did paint and change carpets and drapes.

Even the workers that built your apartment could have left lingering smoke on your window frames or in your carpet. Smell close to where the top and bottom half's of your windows come together.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Too little information.
Obvious first questions are...is this a brand new place where nobody has ever smoked?
Are there all furnishings and clothing that have never been smoked around?
Is it actually cigarette smoke smell or any chance of it being just something similar?
You're in Florida. Is it worse when the humidity is higher?
Did you think to put this in the House section or would you prefer an answer like Ghosts that smoke?

We have been here for over 3 years and we haven't been around anyone who smokes or no new clothing or furniture.
No reason I can figure but my smoking ghost Mom.
Actually my brother keeps saying he thinks it might be our Mom.
She smoked like a fiend.
But she knew how much we didn't like it so I can't figure out why she is trying to annoy us so much.

We used to have it at the last place we were at too just in certain spots in the house.
Normally where we spend most of our time.
The living room and around our computer.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Default Nope not it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We stopped smoking fifteen years ago and can still smell cigarette smoke around our windows. It is very hard, if not almost impossible, to remove all of the tar left behind from smoking. In general our house smells better because we did paint and change carpets and drapes.

Even the workers that built your apartment could have left lingering smoke on your window frames or in your carpet. Smell close to where the top and bottom half's of your windows come together.
We got new carpeting.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tinad View Post
We got new carpeting.
Yes; but when was the last smoker in your apartment? We removed our carpeting and curtains. We also repainted. However; we do have a lot of stained trim that had absorbed the smoke many years ago. Even though it had been restrained; it still retained some of the smell. That is why I said to check out between your top and bottom windows. Even if had been painted or your landlord painted it; there is a chance that they never painted the inside crack between the top and bottom window - that could be hiding old cigarette tar.

PS Is there a chance that a smoker in an apartment under you leaves the window open when they smoke? Possibly, when the wind is blowing just right, the smoke could come into your apartment?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Eliminate physical causes first; then address the metaphysical.

Get some apple cider vinegar. Pour some into a glass vessel, not aluminum or even stainless. Place the vessel in a warm place. Anideal spot is on a gas tove woth only the pilot light on. You can also use a space heater woodstove, electic stove set very low, etc. Let it sit for a month or two. It should take care of it. I bought a place once where there had been a fire and the odor was very strong. This worked.

If it doesn't work you can probably assume that you do have a ghost or other type of spirit. That's the time to take action on the metaphysical level, but use the cider first. You can if you wish leave a fresh but open pack of her brand of cigarettes just inside the door and note whether the smell becomes stronger there. Do this after the cider vinegar has been there for a few days. 95% of these situations are natural; of course that means that 5% are not.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:47 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Air conditioners and furnaces draw in some outside air. It could contain cigarette smoke.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Default We did have heavy smokers in our apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes; but when was the last smoker in your apartment? We removed our carpeting and curtains. We also repainted. However; we do have a lot of stained trim that had absorbed the smoke many years ago. Even though it had been restrained; it still retained some of the smell. That is why I said to check out between your top and bottom windows. Even if had been painted or your landlord painted it; there is a chance that they never painted the inside crack between the top and bottom window - that could be hiding old cigarette tar.

PS Is there a chance that a smoker in an apartment under you leaves the window open when they smoke? Possibly, when the wind is blowing just right, the smoke could come into your apartment?
the whole apartment was orangey brown even in the bathroom they were here for almost 10 years and our whole apartment still smelled for 1 year after even though we kept air circulation by opening windows and fans on.
what I am talking about is different.
Like right now I am sitting in the same spot I was last night when I was smelling it heavily and no smoke smell, but other times there is for no reason.
We are on the bottom floor.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:12 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Cigars, pipe smoke, cigarette smoke, perfume...all sometimes part of a haunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal