Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again Skeptic View Post
President Ronald Reagan's wife Nancy hired "astrologer" Joan Quigley at $3,000 per month to assist in making important decisions about this country's future.

That's also (very) "scary."
Not sure I believe that, but I remembers decades ago reading that Nancy consulted their astrologer about him running for president. The first time he ran, the astrologer warned her that it was not his time and Nancy was disappointed. He ran anyway and he lost. The second time he ran, the astrologer told her that it was his time and he won.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:22 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Self proclaimed "astrologer' Joan Quigley died this past October (2014) at age 87.

According to her own account of her relationship with the Reagans (Ron & Nancy) Quigley (in her book "What Does Joan Say?) ; "...had a direct line to the president. "For seven years, (she boasts), her astrological advice controlled everything at the White House from the date of the president's cancer surgery to his attitude toward the Soviet Union."

This was backed up by (former Presidential Chief of Staff) Donald Regan: "The president's schedule and therefore his life and the most important business of the American nation was largely under control of the First Lady's astrologer."

From 1981-1988 Joan Quigley was "in touch" with Nancy Reagan "...two or three times a day.. Their phone calls (according to Quigley) "...would last for hours."

At $3000 a month for seven years; that's a pretty hefty price for "Government By Horoscope."

Scary?
These are what I'd refer to as astrologer insights.
No doubt an overblown estimation boosted book sales.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/us...t-87.html?_r=0

Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I was born on the exact same month, day, and year as Jennifer Aniston. We couldn't be more different. I don't believe in astrology.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You're right, thanks for the correction. IIRC, she had Taurus in Venus? I think TIJ has done her chart, he can verify.
I don't recall her whole chart, but what stood out was she was a typical air/water type, what an internal war she faced every day!!! Sun in the wateriest of the water signs, and her Moon in the airiest, most detached of the air signs: Aquarius, which is more emotionally detached than the other 2 air signs combined, Libra & Gemini!

Moon in Aquarius spells out to me Party Girl! Aquarius rules friendship! With Classic Aquarius, the more friends the better! My Aquarian friend: you just can't have enough friends in this world! It's a very sociable sign, and the typical airier types need their socialization.

That mostly falls on my deaf ears as I have too many loner placements: Virgo, in particular, Capricorn and my sun sign Aries. I can't think of anything more agonizing and painful for me, then to go to a party!

What's really interesting is Prince Charles' long standing love affair with Camille! Go look up her placements sometime and you'll do some smiling! And you'll smile even more when you discover the placements of Prince William's choice of a wife! What shall you find? Similar placements to his mother Princess Di!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Self proclaimed "astrologer' Joan Quigley died this past October (2014) at age 87.

According to her own account of her relationship with the Reagans (Ron & Nancy) Quigley (in her book "What Does Joan Say?) ; "...had a direct line to the president. "For seven years, (she boasts), her astrological advice controlled everything at the White House from the date of the president's cancer surgery to his attitude toward the Soviet Union."

This was backed up by (former Presidential Chief of Staff) Donald Regan: "The president's schedule and therefore his life and the most important business of the American nation was largely under control of the First Lady's astrologer."

From 1981-1988 Joan Quigley was "in touch" with Nancy Reagan "...two or three times a day.. Their phone calls (according to Quigley) "...would last for hours."

At $3000 a month for seven years; that's a pretty hefty price for "Government By Horoscope."

Scary?
I read Don Regan's book when he was Chief of Staff. Nancy almost drove him crazy, as she'd give him a calendar for the year with black-out dates, inauspicious times for doing this and that. After he had had an operation at Walter Reed, Don wanted to have Ron make an appearance to calm the nation into believing he had recovered and was doing just fine! But Nancy kept resisting: It's an inauspicious time for that! And when his birthday approached, Don: For Chrissake's Nancy! You're not going to let him make an appearance on his birthday? Nancy: It's an inauspicious time for that, according to my astrologer!

Nancy's Moon in Aries is a natural for Astrology, and how she loved the color red, associated with Aries!
And with her Cancer sun sign, you've got a double Cardinal type, control freak to the max, leader, director, my-way-or-the-highway!

Being proactive, she would have her astrologer do background checks on those she would encounter along the way, whom to avoid, whom to embrace.

Really funny! That meeting with the Gorbachev's in Switzerland! Was her astrologer asleep at the wheel when this disastrous meeting occurred? Come now! You simply don't put 2 highly Cardinal egotistical control freaks in the same room together without major bruises to ego's! On with the show! Cardinal Capricorn Raisa Gorbachev meets with Cardinal Cancer Nancy, with another layer of Cardinal, Moon in Aries! Cameras?

The next time they were to meet in Iceland, Nancy: If Raisa shows up, I ain't goin'! I'll stay home at the White House!

I'll bet every dime of my assets that astrology has been used by any number of other President's/Presidentresses, but it was kept far more secretive, being that Astrology is so alienating/scary to so many people! And I can see it all too well, why the Government would not want the masses getting interested in Astrology!

Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
So that must be why astrology scares people, because 'it is not scientific'.

Calling is superstition AND pseudoscience is still not an assessment - IMO. Gotta have some meat to support such comments.

Why does it have to be scientific? Many astrologers see it as an art. Rather that being based in science it is based on experience, or is more metaphysical and spiritual.
As my mother would say, 'Better than believing in some guy and his son.'

While modern day astrology does not make sense to some, one still should aknowledge it's history and give it credit for where it is valid. Astronomy was birthed from astrology, many discoveries made in the name of astrology. Many of the things of today's science came from yesterday's astrologers; Ptolemy, Newton, Kepler, Copernicus...

Old 12-30-2014, 04:12 PM

101 posts, read 100,076 times
IMO...Astrology does not scare people because "...it is not scientific." It "scares" people because it is "..superstition and a pseudoscience.."; and a scam and is illegal in many states (but not California where it is legal). It provides a method of separating people from their money through the use of magic and deception. Not all astrologists (amateurs) and astrologers (professionals) accept money. Some see it as a hobby, but many sell their ability for a profit.

"...Gotta have some meat to support such comments..." Here it is.

It (astrology) is based on the concept of divination which according to the practitioner (the reader) provides insight into the future of the subject (the sitter). This divination is said to have been gifted to the reader by one (or more) spiritual entities and although these entities usually go unidentified by the reader; it (divination) allows the reader to provide information to the sitter as to what lies ahead ie; the future. The reader will usually warn the sitter that the future is not "set in stone" and that the sitter has the ability to change things if they wish. They will also warn that there are many "scam artists" out there; so people should be very careful. hmmmmm? Additional caveats are also included (depending upon the reader); no one under 18, no curses or hexes, no refunds hmmmmm? readings are for entertainment purposes only; injury or loss of assets are not the responsibility of the reader. They will also inform the sitter that the (the reader) is not here to convince anybody of anything and that "most" of their clients (sitters) are very satisfied.

$20-$40 per "read"... Group sessions $12... Mastercard, Visa and PayPal preferred; AMEX accepted.
Internet Horoscopes $10
Fortune cookies and Newspaper Horoscopes are deeply discounted.

Other forms of divination similar to astrology are the reading of: tarot cards, tea leaves, coffee grounds, cigar ashes, mold, dust, dirt and even dead animal entrails. In fact there are over 150 different identified methods of divining the future. The one constant is "the read". This is where the reader' "...feeds the bulldog." The true"gift" of the reader is not the gift of divination but rather the ability to convince the sitter that the read is valid; reliable; and has been written for no one else than that sitter. This is called the Forer Effect named for a research Professor who handed out a set of
horoscopes to all of the University students in his class. He them asked them to read the contents and assess it's relevance to each of them personally. 94 % of the class agreed that the horoscope was unique and relevant to each of them. He then read each of their horoscopes to the rest of the class. They were all the same. This "study" has been repeated thousand of times since then with the same results.

Cold reading, recognition bias, confirmation bias, etc. etc. This is what is "scary" about astrology and the gullible people who practice and accept it.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:33 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I was born on the exact same month, day, and year as Jennifer Aniston. We couldn't be more different. I don't believe in astrology.
Unless you were born in the same town at the exact same time, you don't have identical charts.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
What are you using to determine a difference? Twins born minutes apart can be like nite and day.

Positive and negative aspects of every sun sign. Environment can influence how you express those qualities. As the other poster said, time and place factors in. Your Ascendent could be different changing your chart.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I refuse to believe that! You should consider being an attorney, as you've got that written across your forehead, and so should Jennifer! You two should open up a law firm together! In the legal world, may the best arguer win the case! And who loves to argue more than Aquarius, and throw in a Moon in Sagittarius, another argumentative type!

And, with your 18-cylinder engine Mars in Scorpio, there's nothing you can't attain if you set your mind to it! Those that counsel those with Scorpio placements: Find something that you can get really passionate about!

Scorpio is a sign of passion, and? Have you found your passion in life yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal