Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

I think it is undeniable that astrology is real to some extent, there are too many coincidences to deny that the correlation of sun sign and the personality of someone. There are many idiosyncrasies that effect the accuracy. I don't believe in the accuracy of horoscopes but think sign can be correlating to patterns of behavior. Horoscopes are just speculation but patterns of behavior and emotion are real. BTW, I never chose to be a crazy water sign lol

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 01-21-2015 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
A double-blind study published in 1985 designed to meet criteria acceptable to both scientists and astrologers showed that natal charts were no more accurate in predicting aspects of personality than chance:

http://muller.lbl.gov/papers/Astrology-Carlson.pdf

So no, I don't believe in them.
Don't tell me you are one of those people that believes obscure studies, they are just as accurate as the horoscopes you are trying to de-bunk.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
O'yes been to OZ... on the backside of the rainbow...just marvelous
SO how was it? Are you going back?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:48 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
My answer is yes & no. Since the phases of the moon affect us... ask any hospital employee what happens with intakes & patients during full/new moons, I guess all planets could.

I have a lawyer friend who is also a professional astrologer. People love her & she now makes her living doing just the latter. She's done full chart readings for me for 5-yrs at friend prices & has never been accurate on even the simplest of details, not once. Not even close. This is the 1st year I decided to save my $, am done with astrological readings & hopefully, will not offend her.

Still, many others give testimonials that she's spot on. Maybe I'm just difficult to read... who knows? They can't all be making things up or heavily influenced by their forecasts & unknowingly following the chart due to power of suggestion... & I'm certain I'm not doing the latter in reverse... she says A, so I do B.

Additionally, I don't know if others find this, but for some reason, my sign's characteristics (sun, moon, rising) are not like me at all. I seem to be the opposite of particularly, my sun sign. So, I get frustrated with readings, because someone's always telling me I'm something I'm not. I do wish they did work for me... I'd love to have a head's up on what's coming down the pike.

I found a couple of free YTube tarot readers to be astoundingly accurate for me, when I look back on past months & what happened in my life. I'm guessing others do as well, since they're backed up 'til spring-summer for readings. Maybe one day, I'll spring for my own personal tarot reading... they're FAR cheaper than an astro chart anyway.

Lastly, I do pay attention to Mercury Retrograde periods, in which those things it affects (travel, communication, electronics, contracts) do seem to be backwards, always. Maybe we're such complicated creatures, it's impossible for 1 thing to be accurate for the masses?

Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
No. I've noticed that a lot of those astrology readings come up with things everyone can relate to and go "yeah that's me!". Like they'll say things that most people don't like (liars, moochers, violence) and gear it towards you (Scorpios don't like people up in their business and hate liars or Virgos are independent and avoid moochers).

I do like to read them for fun though.
Of the half dozen books I have that describe every planet in every sign, not a single one says anything about what a person does not like. On the flip side, it does say who will be violent, egotistical, jealous, hold secrets, be deceptive & unscrupulous, etc.
I would imagine a person who would have any of these traits would not be forthcoming to admit it.
So thier report will be 'inaccurate' to them, but not the spouse who is victim to these characteristics.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Of the half dozen books I have that describe every planet in every sign, not a single one says anything about what a person does not like. On the flip side, it does say who will be violent, egotistical, jealous, hold secrets, be deceptive & unscrupulous, etc.
I would imagine a person who would have any of these traits would not be forthcoming to admit it.
So thier report will be 'inaccurate' to them, but not the spouse who is victim to these characteristics.
Capricorns are jealous and insecure as humans, Scorpios violent and angry. Taurus is a cool sign, Aquarius is strange. Virgos are narcissistic and unthoughtful. Too many coincidences with personality traits to deny the patterns I think. My opinion as a crab.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Capricorns are jealous and insecure as humans, Scorpios violent and angry. Taurus is a cool sign, Aquarius is strange. Virgos are narcissistic and unthoughtful. Too many coincidences with personality traits to deny the patterns I think. My opinion as a crab.
From where are you getting your information? (Serious question, not a jab) Because it's is not quite right.
Capricorn does have a tendency to be jealous, but not at all insecure, if anything overly secure.
Scorpio is not violet. Destructive, vindictive and a tyrant, yes, but not violent. I can understand how holding a grudge would make Scorpios seem angry, but anger is more of a Fire sign trait.
Narcissistic is Leo and Aries, and as mentioned of Capricorn being over confident, they can be conceited. Capricorns are not unthoughtful, they just keep a lot to themselves and are slow to react. They are often seen as 'cold' because of this when really, they are in deep thought to fully think it through before they act. And they may not even act at all.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Astrology is great!
The problem is not with astrology, but with astrologers: they don't know what they are talking about!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Astrology is great! The problem is not with astrology, but with astrologers: they don't know what they are talking about!
You're absolutely right... add to that the ones who read a few books then think they can interpret everyone. It's just utter nonsense to assume everyone born within a 4.3-wk period is exactly the same. Numerology teaches that each # has a positive & negative side. We choose in which realm we wish to live. So, some signs may have a penchant for stubbornness or selfishness or arrogance or addictions... but, a whole, balanced person wouldn't be living in such a realm & would never possess such qualities, no matter his/her sign.

Too many dime store analysts ruin the soup.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:46 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinas View Post
I was never the type of person to believe in that stuff, and I still don't care to read the daily/weekly/monthly horoscope since it just feels too "generalized", but I read the characteristics and traits for my sign and I have to say it was accurate. For example, there were things that I do/feel that I thought were a bit abnormal or weird and always thought it was just me, but as I read it mentioned that my sign was notorious in doing things that way and it stated the reasons. I have also looked into the way I am that is somehow different than how the majority of people are (at least the ones I met), and again it did mention that I am this way because of my sign.

I was just curious if the description of your sign does match/explain who you are and how you act, and also is there a website that goes into more depth that you will recommend?
Same. I see it true for everyone I know of really but mine is pretty much on the nose. People say it's because the descriptions are vague but I've read other signs and they don't fit even close to as well.
I've always said I'm more of an Aquarius than other Aquarians. It's a blessing in some ways so it's also a curse so in some situations I wish I wasn't such an Aquarius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with this. I'm a Gemini; there is no way I can read the traits of a Leo or a Pisces and think that sounds anything like me. And for what it's worth, I don't think the placement of stars/planets necessarily has anything to do with it. I just think there is a personality cycle, for some reason we don't really know.
Yeah there are a lot of things in life that can't be explained. Astrology profiles just might be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal