Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:12 PM

101 posts, read 100,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most astrologers are just like gossip columnists. Unless you sit down with a real one that will plot your charts accurately and give you some real insights.
Hmmmmmm....What is a "real" astrologer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM

201 posts, read 279,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinas View Post
I'm not talking about the daily horoscope, I agree that is a bunch of b.s and I think they are just as accurate as fortune cookies, but, take the time and read the traits for your sign as a general description and see what it says about you. You might be surprised
Two words to your initial question: HECK. YES.

I've studied my birth chart and others I know (way more in depth than a daily horoscope). I'm convinced. Many people say that it's a bunch of generalization but there are specific things said about myself that apply to me and not to others and other specific things that apply to other signs that don't apply to me. I think it's a lot more convincing than any religion I've studied. I say if the moon can have an effect on the tide, then the stars can have an effect on my personality and mood.

One book I read called Sextrology tells of your turn-on's by your sun-sign. It was downright scary. Things I wouldn't admit but I know are true...

Last edited by justiciability; 01-22-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM

18,159 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I know that my sign, in both standard and Chinese Zodiac, fits who I am. It also translates, heavily, to my relationships. To many things yo just be coincidence.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Don't tell me you are one of those people that believes obscure studies, they are just as accurate as the horoscopes you are trying to de-bunk.
An article posted in Nature is hardly obscure. Did you actually read it and attempt to understand the study, or just dismiss it out of hand?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:51 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Just for information's sake, a few mentions of the 'influence of the stars' in astrology.
The stars, aka, constellations are ONLY for a physical reference point. The 12 signs are just 'quadrants' that mark the sky. The 12 sections could have and could be, called anything. Where the influence comes from are the planets, not the stars.
So to argue that stars look different or could be burned out as a factor for astrology being nonsense, that argument has no ground to stand on.
So the planets are here, in our solar system, a heck of a lot closer than the stars that make up the zodiac. The planets location in relation to earth and each other is what astrology is based upon.
Now how those planets have any influence, it's not gravity. It used to be thought that because of the way the moon pushes and pulls upon the earth, that was all we knew of not so long ago. But as it has been said, gravity can only go so far. Currently the theory of how it is the planets can impact us is through planetary frequencies.
Earth emits a frequency of near 8hz. The other planets have different frequencies. Frequencies have a much, much farther reach than gravity.
Frequencies, audible and inaudible have an effect on people.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:55 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
No, but I do believe that being born at a certain time of year is likely to lead to certain attitudes and behavior patterns later in life. It has more to do with climate and its effect on parents and surroundings, though.
Yes I should probably qualify a little of what I wrote earlier in the light of your post too. While I clearly am vocal about the fact that I find no substantiation whatsoever coming from the camp of people who think the position of stars and planets has any affect of any sort on your personality......... some of the "truth" of astrology might actually be more related to when a person is born.

Climate is one thing that indeed does have an effect. That one is a good example from you. But there are many more. What of people who are born very close to Christmas for example? They grow up with a completely different present and gift dynamic than people born around the mid way point of the year half way between Christmases. The closer ones birthday is to Christmas the more mediated the gifts one receives become.... to the point where people who have a birthday on or very near to Christmas get a "joint" present or party. Does watching other kids getting big parties and gifts focused on them while you only get to share your celebrations with that of others affect a person? I have no doubt it does.

And that is only one of a million examples we could give. What of a birthday close to valentines day, where one associates ones life with love and chocolates.

And that is just the birthday. What of people who are born at a time of year which means they attend school for the first time a year earlire, or later, than their peers? In my country of Ireland, where I was born, if you were born before a certain cut off date you started school when 4. After this date it was when you were 5. And people VERY close to this date therefore start school a disproportionate age older or younger than the majority of their peers. That has to affect one too.

Because we socially structure the human year in a fixed and formulaic way, following a social narrative..... I strongly suspect that the date a person is born affects their personality a MULTITUDE more due to that narrative, than where some arbitrary star happens to be in the heavens at that point. So I VERY much do subscribe to the belief that the date a person is born can affect their life and personality. I just do not subscribe one iota to the explanations on a thread like this for that phenomenon.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 PM

101 posts, read 100,076 times
Default Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Two words to your initial question: HECK. YES.

I've studied my birth chart and others I know (way more in depth than a daily horoscope). I'm convinced. Many people say that it's a bunch of generalization but there are specific things said about myself that apply to me and not to others and other specific things that apply to other signs that don't apply to me(How do you explain this disparity if it's all supposed to be about you?). I think it's a lot more convincing than any religion I've studied. I say if the moon can have an effect on the tide, then the stars(The type of astrology being discussed here has nothing to do with the "stars"; only the planets and the moon) Many of the "stars" that gave the constellations their names have burned out many "light years" ago and don't even exist any more) can have an effect on my personality and mood. (In fact the moon's gravitational "pull" on humans is about that of a small flea).

One book I read called Sextrology tells of your turn-on's by your sun-sign. It was downright scary. Things I wouldn't admit but I know are true...
I can only imagine what is contained in that bookbut I would suggest that you show it to some of your friends (without telling them for whom it was meant) and see if they can also relate to it. Then please check back with us later.::

Old 01-22-2015, 06:50 PM

94 posts, read 89,279 times
Oh yes, I have a friend who did my entire chart! I can recall my sun sign is Taurus, my rising Libra, and moon Gemini. Mars is aquarius, mercury in aries, and venus also gemini. I'll have to look for the chart. My bf's sun sign is Leo with rising Virgo and moon Libra. Mars in Leo, mercury in Leo, and Venus in cancer.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
From where are you getting your information? (Serious question, not a jab) Because it's is not quite right.
Capricorn does have a tendency to be jealous, but not at all insecure, if anything overly secure.
Scorpio is not violet. Destructive, vindictive and a tyrant, yes, but not violent. I can understand how holding a grudge would make Scorpios seem angry, but anger is more of a Fire sign trait.
Narcissistic is Leo and Aries, and as mentioned of Capricorn being over confident, they can be conceited. Capricorns are not unthoughtful, they just keep a lot to themselves and are slow to react. They are often seen as 'cold' because of this when really, they are in deep thought to fully think it through before they act. And they may not even act at all.
From my experience with those people. I have seen it first hand. Your experience may be different. It is not an exact science obviously. Capricorns lack values IMO, they don't practice what they preach. They are insecure because they are jealous. They use people.

And scorpios have a lot of pent up anger which may be good for certain things women like but not for others.

Don't mess with the crab . Once we see whats up we don't get fooled easily again.

In reality a lot of this is just bogus and could be said for anyone. It also depends on the chemistry of your sign with the other sign, that is a reason experiences vary. Everyone is different.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 01-22-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
From my experience with those people. I have seen it first hand. Your experience may be different. It is not an exact science obviously. Capricorns lack values IMO, they don't practice what they preach. They are insecure because they are jealous. They use people.

And scorpios have a lot of pent up anger which may be good for certain things women like but not for others.

Don't mess with the crab . Once we see whats up we don't get fooled easily again.
So the commonality in personalities of the same Sun sign is how you are prescribing typical sun sign traits?
That's not really doing the system of astrology any justice.
Now, let it be known that my approach is for the discussion of astrology, not an argument. I only disagree with your assessment of the sign traits because in all the years and sources of study I have done, those assessments are not at all typical of those signs.

I am a Capricorn Sun, also have the Moon and Mercury in Capricorn. I am pretty close to text book Capricorn.
My husband is also Capricorn Sun and Mercury (with a Cancer Moon). Neither of us have any of the traits you have described, well, except he does have to keep his anger in check sometimes, but that is not because of the Sun in Capricorn.
There are good and bad people of all sun signs. It's not just the Sun's placement that is the every and all of a person. The icky parts of personality comes out when planets are not in a good placement.
The Capricorns you may have encountered most likely had and afflicted Sun; meaning in hard aspect with another planet, particularly Mars or Saturn.

Sun in Capricorn from A to Z Horoscope Maker and Delineator by Llewellyn George.
'In Capricorn the Sun gives a quiet, thoughtful, serious nature, deep mind and good reasoning ability; generally practical, economical, and given to investigation. Capricorns act with dignity and self-esteem, are somewhat particular, ambitious and preserving; never entirely discouraged although often disappointed; thorough and hard workers. Careful, cautious, frugal, and makes the most of opportunities. Usually meet with some heavy obstacles in the path of desires and progress, yet by dint of persistent, patient and concentrated effort often butt their way through and triumph over circumstances.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal