Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,071,243 times

Advertisements

I've mentioned this to some people at work and other places during downtimes as odd-ball jibber.

Anywho, there's been those dreams that have felt so real where you wake up and question your reality.
Some would call it lucid dreaming or something else.

But after watching shows like Sliders, that Jet Li movie "The One", and of course the Mirror Universe from Star Trek, I've began to think differently on the matter.

It may be just myself, but what if when we fall asleep our consciousness actually drifts across a barrier separating the realities?

Say you're a truck driver, accountant, or some fairly usual thing in this world.
But then you fall asleep and have a dream about flying an attack helicopter, or eating dinner in a fancy restaurant with some random people, or even the occasional "wet dream".

The experiences feel so real and involved that up until you wake, you think that's what you're currently doing at the moment.

Say what you will, but I'm somewhat open to the fact that when we dream, we're actually catching a glimpse of what our counterpart is doing in another dimension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,044,329 times
This is a good thread! I have often thought a similar theory, That perhaps the mind receives signals from elsewhere. Like a TV picking up its signal giving us clues or an image of something. The timing here is great cause I have been having dreams like this for weeks lately. It could just be the mind playing its own images as is the accepted theory but is really interesting to think about. I often am a bit short on sleep due to being busy with work and stuff, especially when those nights arrive you are tired but not quite ready to turn in.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,822,972 times
Dreams have always fascinated me, and I have had several prophetic dreams in the past that have come true. Many people scoff at anything unexplainable such as this, but there is still much we don't know about our minds. What the OP suggested happening, would, considering there isn't a firm, contradictory argument against it, would, to me seem feasible. Why couldn't lucid dreaming happen? There has been research to show that when we sleep we are as close to death as we can be without physically crossing that threshold. I, too have had dreams that seem so real that when I wake, it's as if I were there. We may never know the truth, but these subjects are very interesting to think, and talk about. Hope more folks weigh in on this subject.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,397,494 times
Lucid Dreaming does happen and is real. I do it and my partner has also learned to do it.

Dreams are very fascinating to me as well. I have some of the most vivid dreams and I almost never dream of people I know. I have meet thousands of people in my dreams and have been in thousands of places I have never seen in my lifetime. Very fascinating indeed.

Animals also dream This dog appears to be running from something that is chasing him.

Dog runs into Wall - YouTube

Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
You would learn about this from "Seth Speaks".
Also, a bit from Natalie Sudman's NDE book...darn just loaned it.....um
'Application of Impossible Things'....I think.
Your thinking is on track.
Imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've mentioned this to some people at work and other places during downtimes as odd-ball jibber.

Anywho, there's been those dreams that have felt so real where you wake up and question your reality.
Some would call it lucid dreaming or something else.

But after watching shows like Sliders, that Jet Li movie "The One", and of course the Mirror Universe from Star Trek, I've began to think differently on the matter.

It may be just myself, but what if when we fall asleep our consciousness actually drifts across a barrier separating the realities?

Say you're a truck driver, accountant, or some fairly usual thing in this world.
But then you fall asleep and have a dream about flying an attack helicopter, or eating dinner in a fancy restaurant with some random people, or even the occasional "wet dream".

The experiences feel so real and involved that up until you wake, you think that's what you're currently doing at the moment.

Say what you will, but I'm somewhat open to the fact that when we dream, we're actually catching a glimpse of what our counterpart is doing in another dimension.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM

25,225 posts, read 18,388,490 times
A lucid dream isn't the same thing as having a very "vivid" dream. In a lucid dream, you know you are dreaming and you're able to control that "world."

As for whether it is anything more than just "dreaming," who knows. For me personally, when I'm dreaming, lucid or otherwise, it is reality--as real as anything in the "reality" of our "real world."

In fact, I'll take it one step farther: how do we know that what we experience in our waking state is, indeed, reality? Could our universe be something within our "heads" just as a dream is? Could our reality be a sort of dream? Personally, I'm convinced that it could be. Of course there is no way of proving it. My belief is based on the way I experience dreams as compared to "reality." I'm not so convinced that it is reality in an all-encompassing sense. There is some great literature on this dating back to the French philosopher Rene Descartes and even before. It's a fascinating question to ponder.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM

174 posts, read 303,685 times
I do think that dreams are some of the biggest clues that the universe provides to us. I am always struck by the sheer weirdness of them. I very seldom dream about the people and situations who are most important in my life and should logically be filling my dreams. My wife of 33 years died eight years ago after a seven-year battle with breast cancer, yet she probably hasn't appeared in more than 20 dreams in my entire life. Most people in my dreams bear no resemblance to anyone I have ever known, yet I will often feel a deep emotional connection even if their appearance in the dream is very short. The strangeness of the dream world is also very striking -- clothing, jewelry, vehicles and buildings are often very different from anything I have ever seen or would be likely to imagine during my waking state. Too many dreams are simply too weird and too real for me to accept standard explanations such as "the brain keeping itself busy" or "the subconscious working through psychological issues." I have also had two vivid dreams that would very definitely qualify as After Death Communications, one from my late father (who delivered one of the key messages of my life) when I was 21 and one from my late sister-in-law (with whom I wasn't particularly close) when I was 52, which further suggests to me that the dream state really is a conduit to another dimension or world. I'm always amazed by people who have no interest in their dreams or report nothing unusual, because I'm always eager to see what the night's sleep will bring.

The old saying that "reality is God's dream" has always resonated with me. I suspect that we as individuals and our reality as a whole are part of something much larger, something that we perhaps could not grasp even if it were explained to us. This may be the clue that dreams are providing -- i.e., that our everyday reality is just the tip of a mysterious iceberg.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,937 times
I've often wondered about dreams and all the theories surrounding them. All I know for certain is that I've had my fair share of interesting experiences in my own personal dream land. I want to share one in particular because it is rather fitting for the "parallel universe" or "dimensions" theories.

Some background info:

My little brother had recently passed away, we were four years apart in age and extremely close. Shared so many life experiences through childhood and on until his last day here. I was a single mother of 3 children at the time and had also been laid off from my job, so there I was. Jobless, brotherless, and going through the motions on autopilot. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to die during this time. Feeling very worthless. My brother was truly the only real "constant" person in my life and we were always helping one another out and cheering the other one up when we were down, talking every single day without fail and seeing one another in person at least once a week (he was the only steady male influence my children had, I didn't date anyone and their father was never around. My brother had no children and enjoyed being around mine) and so his sudden death hit me pretty hard.

The dream:

I was walking down this long hallway, it was made of a metal or steel of some sort, it was a narrow hallway, almost cold. The steel had a shade of blue reflecting off of them. The walls were actually sort of like panels, and television screens were connected to each panel (one tv for one panel) and they were showing videos of my life up to that point. Not videos that exist, but video clips that were maybe memories? but some were showing moments I don't remember ever happening, while others were of me and my neighborhood friends playing on the swing set, in the little kiddie pool, my first dog, etc. but all were being shown in that blue color, kind of like black and white only it was blue and white. I felt as if I was being lead down this hallway by someone, but there was nobody in front of me. I just kept walking because I was unable to stop and look at the screens I just got to see them as I passed.
When I reached the end of this hallway I was looking into a room. My childhood living room! It was as if I were standing in the kitchen and looking into the room from that view but I wasn't in the kitchen, I was in the strange hallway still. I was observing myself in my early teens and my brother was playing guitar sitting on the couch next to me, and a couple of friends that were mine (but become his also as we grew up) were there with us and we were laughing and talking and being teenagers.
The "me" I was looking at was not looking in my direction, none of them were, she was just sitting on the couch and I seen her full profile, I knew it was me. But I had this overwhelming feeling or maybe knowledge, that if the "me" I was looking at turned her head and saw "me" that I would be somehow transferred into the younger, different "me". I would be stuck there. In whatever reality or dimension or whatever else you want to call it, I would be unable to go back to the "me" that is here right now.
Remember, my brother was standing just a few feet from me in this moment and was as real and vivid as my hand is right now. All I wanted in that moment was to hug him! But as the younger me started to turn her head in my direction, I had an image of my kids flash into my mind and Bam! I was instantly (could not even take a glance at my former self or brother) being pulled by something, backwards through the hallway. Maybe pulled is the wrong word, it was almost as if I was turned to vapor and was being sucked out by a vacuum hose. And I woke up. Shot straight up in bed and wanted to hold my kids, I had the clear knowledge that I would not have had them in this alternate world and I wouldn't have even remembered them or any of my life here. It's a feeling I cannot explain and still feel every time I think about it. Very eerie, sad, and complicated feelings.

Maybe this was something my mind made up on its own, but I can't come up with any logical reason why it would be that odd. Dreams are odd regardless, no question. But those images, the complexity and vividness of them in particular, makes no sense to me how or why my mind would've conjured something in such a way.
Whether this experience was created by own mind or perhaps it was an actual option I was given by a higher being or an alternative reality that any one of us can step into whenever we want and when we want to drastically change our lives (because we would never really remember).... It really did get me thinking in a completely different direction.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM

185 posts, read 458,706 times
I dream every single night.
It just baffles me to hear that a lot of people don't.
I can count on one hand the number of nights I slept dreamlessly.

I think there are many different kinds of dreams people can have, oftentimes induced by previous experiences, alcohol, weird food before bed, stress, whatever. Regular dreams.

There are the ones that I can't explain that I experience, I link them to my closest friends and family, I share those dreams with them and they tell me that is how they're feeling and ask me for guidance and more details from my dreams. If I connect with a person, I connect deeply. I've even gone for a period of time dreaming the almost exact same thing as a particular friend of mine... it was an experiment we were conducting... it's hard to say how similar something is if it's "in your head." So I can't say for sure... but the signs and things that appeared were so off the wall that I don't deny the connection for a moment. He'd watch a movie and I'd dream of it. He'd be thinking about me before I woke in the morning and I'd dream he's calling me and talking to me on the phone (this one was by far the most annoying dream thing he's done to me unintentionally, as it was 3 hours before I regularly wake...), I ended up texting to ask if he'd called me and he responded right away of course and we got on to chatting about whatever problem it was.

I see so many worlds on my own that I couldn't begin to describe, I tried to recreate on paper or tablet and I lost it. My brother in law is a plane walker (funny I never thought of that whilst creating my username here), and I have a hard time believing him even with the dreams I dream, and my mother in law confirming similar experiences. I wish I could dream harder, if that makes any sense!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,975,395 times
I became fascinated with dreams when I was 12 years old, I had this dream, very vivid, here I am at the age of 63 and can still recount this dream down to the smallest detail as if it is a memory.

We spend one third of our lives asleep and a lot of that sleep is in a dream state. The mind has a difficult time figuring out what is real and what isn't real, so dreams can become a very real event. Our bodies release a chemical during REM sleep to prevent the body from acting out the dream, this is how real the brain thinks the dream is.

Even in our waking lives the brain is trying to determine what is real and what isn't, it ultimately rest on our conscious choices as to what we decide what is real and what isn't.

Consciousness is a strange thing, we haven't yet figured our where it comes from, is it a product of the brain or is the brain a receptacle of it. There is no way to measure consciousness, we can measure brain activity however this isn't the same thing. So, I ask the question, what happens to consciousness when we sleep, does it entertain itself through dreams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal