Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:55 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I call willful ignorance accepting something at face value, not questioning and refusing to consider other possibilities.
Accepting anything without question is seldom a good idea. But if trained professionals say they heard a woman crying for help, I'm going to at least give them the benefit of the doubt before crying peacock.

I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to supernatural claims. But when the skeptics' response is sillier than the initial claim, my eyes roll. Just because someone sees flying lights zig-zagging across the night sky doesn't mean I'm going to believe in aliens. But neither is "swamp gas" or "weather balloon" a logical explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
A comment on this article about feral peacocks.
". . . in Portland winters. They also scream what sounds like 'HELP' on a pretty regular basis. Pretty disturbing for a lot of people." ---> Wild in the Streets: L.A.'s Feral Peacocks

When reality is applied superstitious explanations just don't cut the mustard. It's okay for people to admit reality, even after falling for other explanations. Yep, naturally some have just 'bought in too far' to admit it. But reality is always ready for anyone who wants to join in.

Reminds me of a cool quote by Carl Sagan, realist:
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken."

Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
A comment on this article about feral peacocks.
". . . in Portland winters. They also scream what sounds like 'HELP' on a pretty regular basis. Pretty disturbing for a lot of people."
Would feral peafowl scream anything in the presence of noisy people? The ones I've seen (feral) kept very quiet when I was around. They were very shy and not only kept quiet but tried to keep out of view. That observation does not mean or imply that it was not peafowl that was heard. If the peafowl were in the right location the echo off the upturned vehicle could have been heard making it sound like the call for help came from the vehicle and would have been heard simultaneously by all three officers. I vote for peafowl calls (peahen call too so blaming peacocks would be sexist!)

Old 03-18-2015, 05:26 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Spooky!

'God made the wild peacocks cry for help so the dying baby would live.' This thread cracks me up.

Short of someone recording an EVP of the disembodied voice the only evidence is the testimony of four eye witnesses corroborating the same story.

Einstein proved that all the energy of the universe is constant and that it can neither be created nor destroyed. Energy merely transforms.

I think it's fair to speculate that with mounting documented evidence such as reincarnation testimony, near death experiences, EVPs, photography and video, the use of other devices to record and measure these unexplained and sometime intelligent-interacting phenomena that the human spirit is a form of energy. Life is energy.

With the human spirit of a infant coming from the source of life so recently it's higher self or human spirit could have made the call for helps so that it could continue on with it's earthly life and lessons.

Be it angels, guides, guardians, wild peacocks divine timing, a deceased mother's spirit having not gone to the light yet, or the child's own human spirit reaching out.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
...When reality is applied superstitious explanations just don't cut the mustard. It's okay for people to admit reality, even after falling for other explanations. Yep, naturally some have just 'bought in too far' to admit it. But reality is always ready for anyone who wants to join in.

Reminds me of a cool quote by Carl Sagan, realist:
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
...Einstein proved that all the energy of the universe is constant and that it can neither be created nor destroyed. Energy merely transforms.

Life is energy.

With the human spirit of a infant coming from the source of life so recently it's higher self or human spirit could have made the call for helps so that it could continue on with it's earthly life and lessons.

Be it angels, guides, guardians, wild peacocks divine timing, a deceased mother's spirit having not gone to the light yet, or the child's own human spirit reaching out.
Well, it's early here and I am watching the 'morning news' and having faced the if not, grim realities of modern life (murder, mayhem, political scandals and subsequent disappointments) on a daily basis as well as our completely superficial news concerning celebrities and their foibles (I could not care less what they're doing, who they're dating, what they've been smoking, drinking, snorting, injecting or any other crises in their lives)...

I gleefully welcome being momentarily 'bamboozled' and for the time being I am more than willing to "reject any evidence" and be "captured" by the so called bamboozle. I am very happy to succumb to the belief that there is an unexplainable benevolence concerning the miracles and mysteries of the human spirit.

I have had enough reality today so that's all I've got for 'ya this morning!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
When reality is applied superstitious explanations just don't cut the mustard. It's okay for people to admit reality, even after falling for other explanations. Yep, naturally some have just 'bought in too far' to admit it. But reality is always ready for anyone who wants to join in.
But reality and bull-headed ignorant skepticism are not the same thing. A person who immediately dismisses all testimony and evidence of something not yet explained is just as bad as someone who immediately jumps to all the air-headed froo-froo conclusions. Both are unwilling to consider all the evidence because it contradicts their precious worldview. The gullible supernaturalist and the die-hard materialist both tend to be blinded by their own biases.

Here is an interesting experiment showing this: Can Skepticism Blind You to the Truth?

About this particular case of rescuers hearing a voice ... I don't know. I wasn't there. Neither was anyone else in this discussion. I admit I find the idea of a ghost a little hard to believe. But I find the assertion of peacocks just as stupid. Sometimes the "swamp gas" "weather balloon" explanation just doesn't fit the evidence. We may have to add peacocks to the list.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Spooky!

'God made the wild peacocks cry for help so the dying baby would live.' This thread cracks me up.

Short of someone recording an EVP of the disembodied voice the only evidence is the testimony of four eye witnesses corroborating the same story.

Einstein proved that all the energy of the universe is constant and that it can neither be created nor destroyed. Energy merely transforms.

I think it's fair to speculate that with mounting documented evidence such as reincarnation testimony, near death experiences, EVPs, photography and video, the use of other devices to record and measure these unexplained and sometime intelligent-interacting phenomena that the human spirit is a form of energy. Life is energy.

you make sense---good post!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:44 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:

I've always been very appreciative and supportive of Einstein and his ideas, thoughts, and work. I like the way you think!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:36 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
I saw later that someone had recorded a video of the rescue, but they didn't play the audio..... Wonder why......? Probably because it would have confirmed what we all know to be the truth...... it was their imagination. And that is the best, most innocent explanation.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen
I don't know what to make of this, other than the mother might have still been alive until they reached her and she realized someone was on the way.
I do believe it could have been the babies guardian angel!! (I first heard about this days ago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal