Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/09/us/uta...submerged-car/

I don't know what to make of this, other than the mother might have still been alive until they reached her and she realized someone was on the way. Will be interesting to see follow-up reports to determine when she died. These four men all heard the same thing and even responded to the "voice."

The child is now doing well in hospital. Watch the next video after this link for more information from the men who heard the voice.

Last edited by Tobiashen; 03-10-2015 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
See the table at the link: the mother was apparently in near-freezing water for 14 hours.

Hypothermia Prevention: Survial in Cold Water | Minnesota Sea Grant

It's highly unlikely it was the mother they heard, therefore. Another possibility is that in a state of high stress and physical stress, their minds created the voice out of ambient sounds, like the car making noises as they moved it. One of them said, "It felt like I could hear someone telling me, 'I need help. ... It was very surreal, something that I felt like I could hear." The article notes that seven rescuers had to be treated for hypothermia after the rescue, and hallucinations can sometime accompany hypothermia; see the list of symptoms here:

Hypothermia | University of Maryland Medical Center

if one of them said "I hear a voice" that might predispose the others to hear a voice, too in those conditions.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
I followed the link and have to say the story, as written, has a few confusing contradictions so I'm inclined to take it with even more than the usual grain of salt .

Old 03-10-2015, 11:39 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
I was reading about this while browsing the news on my phone at lunch earlier. I am wondering if an autopsy has determined the exact time of death for the mother. It seems to me that the simplest explanation is that the mother was alive when the first officers arrived on scene but died before the cops and firefighters could flip the car. Now yes, it does seem unlikely that she was able to live 14+ hours partially submerged in freezing water but who knows.

Only the first 4 cops on scene heard the woman's voice, none of the firefighters/EMTs or additional responding officers heard a voice.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
I am wondering if an autopsy has determined the exact time of death for the mother.
That might be a bit difficult given the low temperatures and circumstances involved.

Could the reporter or editor have twisted the story just a little to make it sound like it was a voice from beyond?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,861 times
Or maybe all four actually heard a voice call "help!" and they actually acted upon it because they know what a voice calling "help!" sounds like. All four of these police officers are in a line of work where they have to accurately interpret what they hear. I highly doubt any of them go running around responding to "voices" they think they hear -- if they did they would have been deemed incompetent and would probably be in an institution or on the streets. It's easy to be a skeptic because all one has to do is make up explanations. If it was only one, that wouldn't be good enough, because the other three didn't hear it. But if it was two of them -- that also wouln't "prove" anything because the skeptic says what about the other two? But all four heard it, but still that's not good enough. Give me a break.

Quote:
“We’ve gotten together and just talk about it and all four of us can swear that we heard somebody inside the car saying, ‘Help,’” Warner told Deseret News.
But when they flipped over the midsized car, they discovered a 25-year-old woman dead in the front seat and Lily unconscious in her car seat.
“The only people in there were the deceased mother and the child,” Officer Bryan Dewitt told the paper.
Officer Tyler Beddoes said they can't explain it, but have no doubt they heard it.
"It wasn't just something that was just in our heads. To me it was plain as day cause I remember hearing a voice," Beddoes told the Deseret News. "I think it was Dewitt who said, 'We're trying. We're trying our best to get in there.' How do you explain that? I don't know," he said.
Utah officers say mysterious voice called them to rescue baby trapped inside car | Fox News

Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
^^^^Agree.

These men all heard someone say, "Help me." Then they answered back, as the officer in the above video says.

Watch their body language. These men are not lying. They're certainly perplexed, and they show anxiety because they're likely afraid people will think they're "airy-fairy" or whatever, but what would be the point in saying such a thing? Who would even think to make something like that up?

I think the deceased mother's spirit or an angel-being or some "voice" guided them, but that's just my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2cHgvUabg

Old 03-11-2015, 09:37 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
It's easy to be a skeptic because all one has to do is make up explanations. ... Give me a break.
I forgot that skepticism isn't allowed on this forum, and neither are rational explanations. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:42 AM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
With all the other stuff in this forum, reincarnation, UFO's, etc, and ya'll are going to bash this???

Give me a break

Old 03-11-2015, 11:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Stuff like this is very common in LDS (Mormon) culture; stories about guidance from the "Holy Ghost" are everywhere. Soo... cultural conditioning or help from beyond? Who knows... it's a mater of belief, not science.

I DO know that if my consciousness stayed around past my death and my child was still alive but in great danger I would do whatever I could to get them help. I'm just glad the baby made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal