Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out reviews on Amazon for "spirit boxes". has anyone ever used one of these devices. By a ratio of 6 to 1 reviewers say they really work for getting voices from spirits on them.

Anyone have an opinion/experience on these radio devices?

Also someone said "For best results use 100ms to 150 ms"?

What does ms mean and what is its significance to picking up spirit voices in between frequencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
It's mS, and is term used in sound recording settings, it means milli-seconds.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It's mS, and is term used in sound recording settings, it means milli-seconds.
thanks much. So do you know how this 150ms applies to spirit boxes. I mean does that mean the device scans stations at the rate of 150 frequencies per millisecond or how does that work?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM

What do you mean by stations?
I don't know exactly how the box works so could not tell you. If it is strictly a recording device, it may have a setting at how fast or slow it records. Much like film, 90 frames per second verses 300 frames per second. The latter provides much more information.
And audible frequencies range from 20 to 20,000Hz, so I doubt what you are thinking is the case as 150 would be a very limited range to scan.
A microphone does not scan for frequencies, it picks up on what ever frequencies are there. Of course that also has to do with the sensitivity of the microphone.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
OP, it's basically a modern hi-tech way to break down and analyze sound....obviously much more sophisticated than the old walk around with a tape-record and cassette method.

The only thing I would caution is that this technique is not new....back in my teen years my church would hold seminars where playing beatles music backwards or at slower speeds or higher speeds would yield secret devil messages....ditto of course for Led Zepplin and many others.

If you are interested in it though, go for it and have fun.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:45 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
If you mean selling them online for profit, yea, spirit boxes work great. People believe they work great too, because you DO hear voices on them... but I also hear voices when I turn on my radio or talk on a cellphone, CB or walkie-talkie too. Our world is absolutely bombarded with voice transmissions that are not disembodied intelligences roaming the planet and getting garbled bits and pieces of them may sound spooky but it's definitely not paranormal.

In other words, save your money. Good old fashioned tape recorders are far more reliable for valid EVPs because they work on a whole different and more firm principle.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
A spirit box is something that scans across the radio band, scanning the white noise. It scans faster than hearing a word. It would have to rest on a station for you to get a word from the announcer, but it buzzes by. You can hear blips of stations, but nothing whole, and not enough for your brain to make sense of.

The theory is spirit can use the energy to speak and the voice will come through the speaker.

I've seen it on shows. It's interesting.... but I believe shows are shows -- made for entertainment. They get words and very small sentences. Like the response to "Who haunts this place" and the answer over the box "I do".

Interesting, but it's so flipping loud that it could TOTALLY be faked, and it would be hard to catch it. The people using it have to yell over the spirit box... and while, on tv, the voice is clear as a bell...I just don't know.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 AM

I've learned quite a bit since my OP by watching YouTube videos and reading Amazon reviews on the various models.

My overall impression is they work...BUT...they work so poorly and good results come through so infrequently that I wonder that the crude devices on the market now are worth the expense. One in a while (READ:rarely) do I hear a spirit message that can be directly associated with a human question. Like I've seen on a video, "What am I holding up?" "A pen" the spirit answers. "What is my name?" "Brandon" the spirit answers (correct name). But these are few and far between. What you mostly hear is static, crackling, squawking, with occasional unintelligible gibberish.

In sum, when the hits come they are occasionally dead-on (pun intended) but most if the time they are just random phrases that have no meaning. "Where are you now" "Look for the cord".

Old 03-14-2015, 03:28 AM

I would say that the difference between the random, but clearly spoken phrases are residual 'hauntings', or energetic impressions. Where as the answers to questions is clearly a spirt; intelligent haunting.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I would say that the difference between the random, but clearly spoken phrases are residual 'hauntings', or energetic impressions. Where as the answers to questions is clearly a spirt; intelligent haunting.
I'm going to buy one of these spirit boxes and try it out. I'm a skeptic they're really an effective communication tool between spirits and the living. I think they really work but I doubt the state of the art on them right now is optimal. I believe in disembodied spirits being earthbound, but I don't believe in the fallen angels/satan and demons malarkey so I have no concerns about that, but enough people on YouTube and elsewhere have warned about the dangers of becoming too preoccupied or attached to certain sprits that I would curb this impulse, being the overly rational person I am and not having anyone close to me who has passed on. I am not doing this in a desperate attempt to make contact with any particular "loved individual". It's strictly to satisfy my own curiosity whether or not they really work.

There are devices called "Frank's Box" but they are so expensive and rare (not sold commercially although schematics for building one are available online) that seem to be the best means, but for right now these little "spirit boxes" are about the best that are commercially available right now.

Any thoughts, encouragements, stories to share re this kind of thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal