U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 PM

13,500 posts, read 5,738,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I agree.
  • I accept that intelligent life, probably considerably more intelligent/learned than we are, exists elsewhere in the universe simply because the universe is so very large, and our sun and its planetary system is so very ordinary.
  • I also think that given the increasing pace of technological advance here on Earth, that a civilization only a few hundred years older than ours could very well have the means to at least investigate life on planets outside their own solar systems without every leaving their own.
  • Any civilization that had the ability to travel to other star systems would be able to learn everything they wanted/needed to know about us without ever coming anywhere near the Earth's atmosphere ... and we would never even know they were there!
Hmmm... not sure about that last point. Why wouldn't they want a close-up look? We can't assume that they are bound by the "prime directive." Why travel all that way without getting a few specimens to examine?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:16 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,025,766 times
no .. the universe is only about 4.5 billion years old .. not very old really .. why cant we on earth be the only living things ?and if there were aliens flying around why would they not land ? ..

Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,025,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
no .. the universe is only about 4.5 billion years old .. not very old really .. why cant we on earth be the only living things ?and if there were aliens flying around why would they not land ? ..
i stand corrected .. 13.7 billion years old ..

Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM

10,575 posts, read 7,976,427 times
I believe there are flying objects that are unidentified. That doesn't mean much.

I do not believe that aliens from other planets have visited Earth. There simply is no compelling evidence of such. Now, I'm willing to be convinced, as the concepts of both extraterrestrial intelligent life and interstellar travel are plausible. But, again - let's see the evidence.

Now, the above notwithstanding, I expect that life capable of interstellar travel is very rare in the galaxy. This is primarily due to the phenomenon known as the Great Silence.
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/c...&filetype=.pdf

But again, I'm willing to be convinced. Show me evidence. Not anecdotes. Not photos of lights or flung hubcaps but of evidence. In fact, I would be thrilled to see actual evidence. But my beliefs are cold hard assessments of what can be demonstrated, not wishful thinking.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM

6,553 posts, read 3,601,365 times
Well, UFO doesn't mean alien necessarily. I know that's what you're asking, but that's not all it means. UFOs do exist. Any aircraft that is of unknown origin is a UFO. This could mean a martian space ship, or an unmarked Russian fighter jet.

People have certainly seen UFOs, but I'm not willing to go so far to say they've seen alien aircraft.

I do believe life exists on other planets. I think it's even quite possible that life exists in this solar system, outside of the Earth. There is some evidence that life may have existed on Mars, and I think that very well could be possible. Life could also exist on some of Saturn and Jupiter's moons; If I were a betting man, I'd take a look at Titan.

But do I think alien spaceships have visited Earth? Not really. It's possible, but unlikely. Mostly because I feel the need to ask why? What's here that they would want? And why have they never made contact? I just find it hard to believe that aliens have actually visited Earth. I think it's likely life exists, but I don't think we've seen any life that isn't from Earth yet.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:55 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,515,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
Look, if you've seen something bizarre in the sky, it changes you. I know whatever it was has changed me.

A slow moving, silent, triangular shaped object just above the treeline gets your attention pretty fast. Something like that can't possibly be civilian and it certainly isn't something the military is going to admit to having at its disposal.

I took a college level class on astronomy and the professor emphasized the vast distances in space and it certainly seems impossible that anything could travel that far.

But there really isn't any way to explain the thousands of sightings each year from pilots, law enforcement, ex-military etc.
I saw something strange in the sky before too and it does change how you look and feel about these things. I always believed in aliens and spaceships, because the universe is too big for us to be the one and only life filled planet, but to actually see something you can't explain pushes things to a whole new perspective. Was that an alien ship I saw? I of course can't say for sure, but I AM sure it was something I've NEVER seen before that moved in a way like no airplane, helicopter or any other aviation vehicle we have here on Earth does.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 PM

2,985 posts, read 3,589,903 times
UFO is an acronym for "unidentified flying object". So unless you think that every object observed in the night sky is immediately identifiable, you would believe that UFOs exist. It would be a safe assumption that you would have to be pretty simple not to.

Now, if you are talking about an alien spacecraft from another world visiting Earth, that would be a different discussion altogether.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:27 PM

12,032 posts, read 5,836,976 times
If Earth is the perfect temperature for life(a big IF). Then since our sun is cooling, at one time Mars should have been at or near Earth's current temperature. As the sun continues to cool, Venus would eventually be our temperature theoretically. So, it's realistic to assume that Mars had life at one time and Venus may have it after our demise.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 PM

6,700 posts, read 4,153,092 times
No

Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM

13,500 posts, read 5,738,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
But do I think alien spaceships have visited Earth? Not really. It's possible, but unlikely. Mostly because I feel the need to ask why?
Why not? If we found out that there was a civilization of beings on a planet somewhere, and we had the technology to travel there relatively easily, we would certainly go, for no better reason than that we are curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal