Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 PM

55 posts, read 56,168 times

Advertisements

Can mediating bring you to a world of insanity?
Can you get suck in another realm?
What is the purpose of meditation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar1 View Post
No.

No.

To calm your mind and relax.

I can't do it -- I fall asleep.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Can't believe everything you read; though some people claim out of body experiences in meditative states.

Some researchers have said meditation, the equivalent to a good nights sleep.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
No. It has been a pillar of Buddhist practice for millennia. In mindfulness meditation, for example, the intent behind it is to reduce mind chatter and to be fully present and aware in the present moment without regard to thoughts about the future or past. There are more guided forms of meditation that help tap into your subconscious but it's more about contemplation and being in touch with your inner self and less subject to the whims of the external world.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
For me it makes me more grounded and present in my daily life. So if anything it helps to keep me sane!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
No, the opposite actually. A form of meditation was used in a prison to 'rehabilite' the convicts. Many went through the program and were completely at peace with themselves, had no urge to be hostile or violent.

Depending on the realm, getting stuck may not be a bad thing....see answer above.

Emotional, mental, physical & spiritual health and wellbeing.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Meditation can unbalance people; it's contraindicated for certain psychological profiles. The purpose of it is to calm your nervous system by calming the mind, and through regular practice, to help you maintain steady concentration on whatever you're doing, rather than getting easily distracted and having your mind wander. Over time, a regular meditation practice can open the intuitive side of the brain. so some people start having psy experiences of one sort or another.

However, for some people, calming the mind can cause all kinds of unresolved emotional issues to surface, their demons come up to haunt them, and it can be extremely uncomfortable, even scary. If that starts happening, stop meditating. Consider seeing a therapist, to resolve your buried issues.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 PM

55 posts, read 56,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
However, for some people, calming the mind can cause all kinds of unresolved emotional issues to surface, their demons come up to haunt them, and it can be extremely uncomfortable, even scary. If that starts happening, stop meditating. Consider seeing a therapist, to resolve your buried issues.
That explains it. I had a friend who was usually happy, fun, and positive. That is, til she began to meditate. She would meditate often and each time I found her to seem less and less herself. She's in her late 40's very together, I found it odd that she would often decline all fun activities, book clubs, etc. She became negative, sometimes mumbling and having conversations with herself. There was a time she called me crying about how she was molested at a young age. I went a few times to see her and found several drawings of an eye in a pyramid, when I asked her about it she would be upset with me and say, he speaks to me... Things were getting very weird, she did nothing but mediate, and light candles. She had saints, cigars, and some weird statue (Indian I believe with beads around it). A few months after I just lost touch with her.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I think sometimes people get fixed or hooked into the inner world they encounter and use it as a way to escape the horrors of this world. Like a trip, it can lure you inside and keep you there perhaps. However, it is supposed to bring more clarity to your external world.

Of course, there are going to be some who are not suited to it due to different mental conditions (I dont mean madness here, but different attitudes to life) Maybe your friend found what she wanted in the internal world she encountered while meditiating. I have also heard that there could be entities which approach while in meditation, so these may have had an influence on her too.

I was told that you should not open yourself up while meditating but close up since then only the 'higher' entities could draw closer. Dont know whether thats valid or true or not.

Tallysmom - I "fall asleep" too, however I still persevere trying and I "wake up" after the same amount of time each time I meditate. This leads me to think that it is not falling asleep but more of a "blanking out" kind-of state where something in my subconscious does not want me to be conscious while I am "away with the fairies". Dont know if that is the same thing as you?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:32 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Meditation can unbalance people; it's contraindicated for certain psychological profiles.
I took up meditation when I was still alive and it did work for me. For a while. Then it began to make me more anxious (and unstable I think) so I stopped. I levelled out again after stopping.

Now days I do mindfulness. Mindfulness has been shown to promote new neuron growth as shown in MRI/CAT scans. In mindfulness one attempts to stop the wild and random thoughts we have and when I do it I always feel stimulated afterwards.

So I'm thinking meditation can be harmful. Maybe it opens up pathways that are otherwise suppressed or subdued that brings out inner turmoil? Like some antidepressants make one worse, possibly by firing up the pathways that makes one feel the inner pain more intensely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal