Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Yup, I'm for it. Religious folks should be welcome to have their say as would be the naysayers. Just as long as the rules of the forum be honoured, that being consideration, respect and politeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
There's already not enough posts in this forum as it is.. don't need a subforum. These relig-tards will just follow you to that forum and post there anyways like they do everywhere I visit... just ignore them... when I see bible quotes I don't even read the post.

FWIW, I believe in reincarnation and spiritual self help books like A Course In Miracles but I don't really go around convincing others about it and usually don't discuss it much...

Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is exactly why it would be nice to have an afterlife sub-forum where religious beliefs did not have to intrude on the conversation. Is there any interest in starting a sub-forum that deals specifically with proof of the afterlife as we currently possess it?

I have been doing massive studies of the afterlife these past months and have accumulated quite a few YouTube videos and Internet websites that provide a pretty compelling case for proof of NDE's and the afterlife but I cannot present it when religious bigots will be constantly making attempts to derail the conversation with such bigoted statements like the above. I'd like to see it as a place much like the atheist forum where religion is not allowed to come in and proselytize--where the conversations be kept purely objective so that religious zealots cannot deliberately divert attention away from the topic and into a realm of messiness and confusion like what is found in the Christianity/Religion forum.

Anyone besides myself interested in broaching such a forum to the head mods?
Why woudln't it be part of an existing religion forum? Do we really need to invite thread multiplication?

Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Thrill-- you can ask directly on the "Administration -- about the forum" forum... it's not easy apparently, and they also do a search for all threads about this from all time to merge on the sub forum.... so you never get a clean bare fresh forum.

But I understand what you going through. My passion for hand embroidery has been reignited, and iIt's terribly difficult to find information on real hand embroidery or crewel, when the world seems to focus on the X. The cross stitch-- the most dull stitch of all.. And certainly there's nothing on C-D for it...

Old 03-30-2015, 11:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
There's already not enough posts in this forum as it is..
FWIW, I believe in reincarnation and ... A Course In Miracles...
That is a very good point...there aren't that many posts here!
ACIM...my thing 24/7 for 4 months now. An amazing thing...not for everyone.
Wouldn't have been for me even a year ago! Timing is everything.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
I have always been fascinated by this topic.

Many are aware of the AWARE Study that was conducted by Dr. Sam Parnia:

World's largest near death experiences study | University of Southampton.

It is good to find a modern day Dr. who is interested in this topic. He is just beginning to scratch the surface; however, I think he needs a better design for this study.

He will combine his AWARE study with another one that known as BRAIN-1 (Brain Resuscitation Advancement International Network - 1) Beyond The Mind-Body Problem | The Human Consciousness Project | The AWARE Study | Nour Foundation

It's not perfect but at least it's a start for those who need scientific validation in order to accept this phenomenon as fact.

For those who don't need this validation here is a very interesting website I have discovered with tons of NDE accounts.

The Near Death Experience Research Foundation

Current NDERF Near Death Experiences

Old 03-30-2015, 02:33 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
I understand the desire and purpose for a specific sub-forum, however, if we start with NDE/Reincarnation/afterlife, then ghost, astrology, UFOs and so on would want a subforum.
I don't see this little corner of CD having enough 'bulk' to warrant a subdivision...at this time.
But....
It has been posted by our Mod....not the place for religion.
So if you start a discussion, put at the top in bold text- 'religious opinions not included' or something to that effect so that people know. Which won't stop them, but might reduce some of it.
Could always try out the Pagan forum, as the uber religious tend to not go there.

I personally like the subject matter, and just this morning read about a 10 year old boy that recalls being a little known Hollywood actor in the 30's.
Very interesting!!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
For those who don't need this validation here is a very interesting website I have discovered with tons of NDE accounts.

The Near Death Experience Research Foundation

Current NDERF Near Death Experiences
I've mentioned NDERF before on this forum. It's sister site is OBERF, Out-of-Body Experience Research Foundation and I find many of the accounts there compelling also.

What I find interesting about the stories on both sites is how many of the persons report that their experiences contradict or don't support their long-held personal religious beliefs or non-beliefs, and how many of them found themselves changing their minds and beliefs afterward.

Also even a quick skim of the stories reveal that these experiences happen to people of all ages, cultures, beliefs, races, economic and educational levels, etc. There's no such thing as a "typical" reporter or story.

On NDERF, I would encourage curious readers to start with the "Exceptional Accounts". You have to click on each person's name to read the full account of his/her experience.

Anita Moorjani first came to the world's attention by reporting her story there in 2006. Reading that account and her subsequent best-selling book Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer to Near Death to True Healing led to profound changes in my own spiritual belief.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I understand the desire and purpose for a specific sub-forum, however, if we start with NDE/Reincarnation/afterlife, then ghost, astrology, UFOs and so on would want a subforum.
And the result may be that each will end up having one or two posts a month in it. That's one of the problems with forums, if you slice and dice too much you end up with a lot of sparse forums.

One problem with the "get the bible believers out of here" approach is that the guidelines say the forum is not a place for proselytizing, but the very subject matters here lend themselves to spiritual interpretations in some case. Is saying "I don't believe in near death experience because the bible doesn't support it. I believe in an afterlife because the bible says, there is one." really a case of proselytizing for the poster's particular brand of bible-based believing, or is it someone simply sharing his/her point of view?

On the other side, New Agers tend to do the same thing, but their spiritual explanations are metaphysical rather than biblical/scriptural. Why is one OK and the other not? It's not easy for me to draw a clear-cut line between acceptable sharing of how one's spiritual beliefs illuminate a topic, and outright proselytizing.

Not an easy problem, but the more I think about it splitting up the forum probably isn't a good solution.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
On the other side, New Agers tend to do the same thing, but their spiritual explanations are metaphysical rather than biblical/scriptural. Why is one OK and the other not? It's not easy for me to draw a clear-cut line between acceptable sharing of how one's spiritual beliefs illuminate a topic, and outright proselytizing
I hear you...but Spirituality is not the same as religious beliefs/conditioning's.

New Agers beliefs and experiences are not from a religious perspective. At least that is how I come to understand it.

New Age movement is the focus on spiritual matters, with emphasis on individuality.

"New Age spirituality is characterized by an individual approach to spiritual practices and philosophies, and the rejection of religious doctrine and dogma."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal