Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Op you are profiling. All animals use that basic skill starting at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:05 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I can't pick up on things, but my husband can. And I don't know that it's in a psychic kind of way, but he can size someone up very quickly and be 100% right. There have been so many times he has told me this or that about a person or their character and I tell him there is no way that is true. Then it ends up being true.

In the same way, he seems to know when someone is gay even if it isn't outwardly obvious. I remember when Ellen DeGeneres had her show way back, before she came out, when she had long hair and dressed differently than she does now, and he used to say she was a lesbian and I kept saying he was wrong. Years later, she came out. Same with "Marcy" on Married with Children. He picked up on her being a lesbian long before she came out. I thought he was wrong, but he was right.

He will meet someone and immediately "get" them and understand what they are about, something that takes me much longer. I don't understand how he does it.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:49 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Yes I was thinking about this today and I do get feelings about people but I don't always interpret them correctly. I can usually tell if someone is bad news though but not always and I can pick out phoniness in a crowd. I can usually pick up on negativity in people but am usually at a loss as to what it means. When I was younger and more self-conscious I always thought it was something I did, but experience proved that it was usually due to something else.

One time when I had that is when I had been dating a man for about 5 wks and had just slept with him the first time and he was at my house and I woke up the next morning and saw him laying there in my bed and I was filled with terror. I thought this odd at the time b/c I'm not normally a fearful person but I wrote it off as the jitters b/c he was the first man I was with after my 23 yr marriage ended, but as it turned out, my feelings were right and by the time I broke up with him I thought he had a serious mental illness--the kind that makes you talk to yourself in public--weird, weird, weird.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I
The advantage is that it saved me from meeting many jerk guys (who turned out to be..) and it saves me a lot of headaches. When I went to the library, the books I read said it's some form of premonition/precognition because along with that gut feeling, I have felt something bad was going to happen. Like with my mom. I did not know "what" it was but I felt terrible.... My mom had surgery and her heart stopped. I did not understand or know that her heart stopped, until my dad told me. How could I have a feeling of horrible dread but not exactly know what it was? I was 13 years old when she almost died from her heart stopping.
Studies of precognition have concluded that most people have it to some degree, and that there was an evolutionary advantage to having that ability. Obviously, it would help you survive and pass on your genes.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I am an ER doc.

I can tell within ten seconds of being in a room if you are really sick, a liar, what kind of personality, etc.

It is part innate and part acquired.

13 years and 70,000 patients later...not one time wrong.

And it works pretty great in regular life, too.

I can literally just look at your face and tell about how you are.
My wife thinks that is kooky, but she has seen it work too much to question it.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:42 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Yes, I do this, too. It is spontaneous, just comes to me. I've already mentioned elsewhere on CD, how I got a gut feeling about a guy who I kept seeing wandering around in the market, having a bad sensation as he kept passing by. So, who knows? I have even had a funny feeling about a Dr., so I stopped seeing him.

I experienced a precognitive feeling before leaving for work once, years ago. I would hesitate, then keep getting ready, then feel a "sick feeling" and stop.. I couldn't see calling my boss and telling her this, being expected to do overtime on a Saturday. So, I left, only to end up having a terrible car accident, breaking my arm and was out of work for a while, afterward. I learned that, no matter what, I will never ignore a strong feeling like that again.

Something else, I will be bothered, regarding a decision another has made, yet will feel I cannot tell them to not do such. (For instance, a relative who had moved in with another and I felt it just was not going to work out. Down the road, she would repeatedly call me crying, ultimately leaving there). I feel like I want to spare people the trouble, yet as a friend told me at the time, "we all have to make our own mistakes", and would I have listened if one had ever done that with me? Currently, someone is going into a small venture with another, not that she is putting her money in, but is giving her time and energy....(I keep thinking, "it's not going to work out"...but feel I can't tell her, with her figuring I am "being negative"). Gosh, I hope someone would listen to me if I tell them to not "take that trip" or something. Sometimes, a more mild example will be regarding a neighbor who adopted another neighbor's cat...or a family, who I just feel are "liars". Another will tell me, "Don't worry about it", but I will feel since I am aware of a situation, it will bother me.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 04-08-2015 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am an ER doc.

I can tell within ten seconds of being in a room if you are really sick, a liar, what kind of personality, etc.

What a great skill for a doc to have!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am an ER doc.

This is awesome! I always thought I should have been a detective because I think I could detect the BS meter and the bad guys from the good ones, just by sitting in a room with them.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, I do this, too. It is spontaneous, just comes to me. I've already mentioned elsewhere on CD, how I got a gut feeling about a guy who I kept seeing wandering around in the market, having a bad sensation as he kept passing by. So, who knows? I have even had a funny feeling about a Dr., so I stopped seeing him.

I experienced a precognitive feeling before leaving for work once, years ago. I would hesitate, then keep getting ready, then feel a "sick feeling" and stop.. I couldn't see calling my boss and telling her this, being expected to do overtime on a Saturday. So, I left, only to end up having a terrible car accident, breaking my arm and was out of work for a while, afterward. I learned that, no matter what, I will never ignore a strong feeling like that again.

Something else, I will be bothered, regarding a decision another has made, yet will feel I cannot tell them to not do such. (For instance, a relative who had moved in with another and I felt it just was not going to work out. Down the road, she would repeatedly call me crying, ultimately leaving there). I feel like I want to spare people the trouble, yet as a friend told me at the time, "we all have to make our own mistakes", and would I have listened if one had ever done that with me? Currently, someone is going into a small venture with another, not that she is putting her money in, but is giving her time and energy....(I keep thinking, "it's not going to work out"...but feel I can't tell her, with her figuring I am "being negative"). Gosh, I hope someone would listen to me if I tell them to not "take that trip" or something. Sometimes, a more mild example will be regarding a neighbor who adopted another neighbor's cat...or a family, who I just feel are "liars". Another will tell me, "Don't worry about it", but I will feel since I am aware of a situation, it will bother me.
I would say pay attention in the supermarket if a guy is giving you a bad vibe every time you pass him. They showed on DiscoveryID this lady was missing. They ran the supermarket tapes (last place she was seen) and you can see a guy "not" shopping, but stalking her... as she goes down each aisle... He leaves out of the store, hides in the parking lot, watches her come out and grabs her. The ending was not good. ..I think we can feel this anywhere, the store, parties, etc. but the best thing we can do is pay attention to how that person is making us feel....

Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I can't pick up on things, but my husband can. And I don't know that it's in a psychic kind of way, but he can size someone up very quickly and be 100% right. There have been so many times he has told me this or that about a person or their character and I tell him there is no way that is true. Then it ends up being true.

In the same way, he seems to know when someone is gay even if it isn't outwardly obvious. I remember when Ellen DeGeneres had her show way back, before she came out, when she had long hair and dressed differently than she does now, and he used to say she was a lesbian and I kept saying he was wrong. Years later, she came out. Same with "Marcy" on Married with Children. He picked up on her being a lesbian long before she came out. I thought he was wrong, but he was right.

He will meet someone and immediately "get" them and understand what they are about, something that takes me much longer. I don't understand how he does it.

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head with what it's like.... As far as telling whether someone is gay, I am about 75% accurate. (more females than males, unless he is flamboyant gay) What flew me for a loop is my manager, who seems all male, is in-fact gay.... Think Rock Hudson..... I would never have guessed that he was... but he was handsome and a great actor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal