U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:49 PM

21,552 posts, read 19,351,371 times

Advertisements

I know a published ghost story and paranormal hunter that has some strange views. He claims to be a skeptic and doesn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural or even the afterlife. I might take him at his word, or he's just trying to put up a false front of non believing to present an appearance of professional studied rational investigation. Then he's been known to say he's felt psychic impressions and hams it up dressing like Edgar Allan Poe. One theory he suggested early on in his books was that perhaps peoples electrical energy was stored in nails and wiring and when they're disturbed through renovations maybe its like a recording being turned on. Possible, although that would leave large holes in that theory when you look at other historical hauntings where no metal is present. The guy does his research though, he scours newspaper archives for odd stories dating back over a century.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:23 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,612,992 times
Published in this area means absolutely nothing to me unless they present proof. YMMV.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,425,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It is a much more logical explanation than ghosts. Even if ghosts exist.
Only if you believe ghosts are the disembodied consciousnesses of deceased humans floating around in the environment. That is far from the only (or even best) explanation.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 PM

5,168 posts, read 3,612,992 times
I also feel that way about most authors unless they are in a respected publication or they have other things that back up their work. Many published authors are no better than the average fan in whatever genre they write in.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM

29,166 posts, read 28,211,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I know a published ghost story and paranormal hunter that has some strange views. He claims to be a skeptic and doesn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural or even the afterlife. I might take him at his word, or he's just trying to put up a false front of non believing to present an appearance of professional studied rational investigation. Then he's been known to say he's felt psychic impressions and hams it up dressing like Edgar Allan Poe. One theory he suggested early on in his books was that perhaps peoples electrical energy was stored in nails and wiring and when they're disturbed through renovations maybe its like a recording being turned on. Possible, although that would leave large holes in that theory when you look at other historical hauntings where no metal is present. The guy does his research though, he scours newspaper archives for odd stories dating back over a century.
There are, were a couple of residual "hauntings" at my mother's house. I recently learned that someone had died in the house. Cue scary music. LOL

Old 04-18-2015, 04:18 PM

5,790 posts, read 4,505,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
One theory he suggested early on in his books was that perhaps peoples electrical energy was stored in nails and wiring and when they're disturbed through renovations maybe its like a recording being turned on..
However, that wouldn't explain the ghost accounts that seem to indicate something like intention on the part of the phenomenon. Here are some of my thoughts:

Pliny wrote the following account around 100AD: "...In the dead of night, a noise was frequently heard resembling the clashing of iron which, if you listened carefully, sounded like the rattling of chains. The noise would seem to be a distance away, but it would start coming closer… and closer… and closer. Immediately after this, a specter would appear in the form of an old man, emaciated and squalid, with bristling hair and a long beard, and rattling the chains on his hands and feet as he moved..."

In the 19th century (1843), Dickens wrote in A Christmas Carol: "... They were succeeded by a clanking noise, deep down below; as if some person were dragging a heavy chain over the casks in the wine merchant's cellar. ... then he heard the noise much louder, on the floors below; then coming up the stairs; then coming straight towards his door. ... The chain he [Marley] drew was clasped about his middle..."

This description I will wager is adapted from Pliny's account of a first century haunting. And yet, I have a fairly good collection of Victorian and early 20th-century European ghost stories (fiction), and the rattling chains motif appears in none of them.

Of all the 20th-21st century accounts of European/American hauntings I've read and seen on the screen, I can't think of one of them that uses the rattling chains motif. Most ghosts seem to have lost their chains sometime between 1843 and 1890. The other thing I'll point out is that accounts of "ghosts" from thousands of years ago are few and far between and I think I've only seen one or two that claim to involve Cro-Magnons or Neanderthals or pre-modern animals.

So what's going on here? Either things changed in the Ghost Realm sometime around the U.S. Civil War, and there's a sort of half-life to hauntings so the older ones become rarer and rarer as they decay, or whatever is behind these phenomena, our personal and cultural expectations determine what we experience when we encounter them (this isn't new: as I recall, Jacques Valee suggested UFO encounters had something objective behind them but what was experienced was filtered through the culture of the observer).

My personal belief: there's something real going on behind these hauntings (and despite my frequent skeptical stance in this forum, I've lived in two very "haunted" houses over the years: cold spots, shadow figures, loud noises and unexplained voices, sparkling lights, the works), but it's not the disembodied presence of the dead. And what the observer perceives in these phenomena depends on his/her expectations, so there are both subjective and objective facets to the experience. As I said in my earlier reply in this thread, "... The other possibility is that the hallucinogenic effects of mold in old buildings might act as a catalyst for the experience one has in a haunted location. In some aboriginal cultures, for example, hallucinogens are considered a gateway to the other side..."

Unfortunately, this is only my personal belief and none of this is testable, because these phenomena don't perform on demand and it's difficult to imagine how you might even begin to formulate testable hypotheses for these experiences or the existence of parallel plane(s) of existence. Which is why I think you don't run into many parapsychologists doing research these days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention tulpas, another belief system surrounding the origin of various paranormal creatures & ghosts:

http://www.isnare.com/?aid=203145&ca=Religion

Last edited by Vasily; 04-18-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,597,103 times
Hauntings from toxic mold? Is that a medical condition, like delusions?

I'll believe it when the new DSM codes added.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 AM

2,985 posts, read 3,587,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
First it was unshielded electrical currents. Last year it was carbon monoxide poisoning. This year it is toxic mold.

Out of curiosity, why do these alleged hallucinogens only make people see ghosts? How come they never see giants or dinosaurs or mushrooms growing out of their floors? You would think if these so-called explanations made people imagine their house was haunted, they would also make people believe other weird things were happening as well.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
However, that wouldn't explain the ghost accounts that seem to indicate something like intention on the part of the phenomenon. Here are some of my thoughts:

Pliny wrote the following account around 100AD: "...In the dead of night, a noise was frequently heard resembling the clashing of iron which, if you listened carefully, sounded like the rattling of chains. The noise would seem to be a distance away, but it would start coming closer… and closer… and closer. Immediately after this, a specter would appear in the form of an old man, emaciated and squalid, with bristling hair and a long beard, and rattling the chains on his hands and feet as he moved..."

In the 19th century (1843), Dickens wrote in A Christmas Carol: "... They were succeeded by a clanking noise, deep down below; as if some person were dragging a heavy chain over the casks in the wine merchant's cellar. ... then he heard the noise much louder, on the floors below; then coming up the stairs; then coming straight towards his door. ... The chain he [Marley] drew was clasped about his middle..."

This description I will wager is adapted from Pliny's account of a first century haunting. And yet, I have a fairly good collection of Victorian and early 20th-century European ghost stories (fiction), and the rattling chains motif appears in none of them.

Of all the 20th-21st century accounts of European/American hauntings I've read and seen on the screen, I can't think of one of them that uses the rattling chains motif. Most ghosts seem to have lost their chains sometime between 1843 and 1890. The other thing I'll point out is that accounts of "ghosts" from thousands of years ago are few and far between and I think I've only seen one or two that claim to involve Cro-Magnons or Neanderthals or pre-modern animals.

So what's going on here? Either things changed in the Ghost Realm sometime around the U.S. Civil War, and there's a sort of half-life to hauntings so the older ones become rarer and rarer as they decay, or whatever is behind these phenomena, our personal and cultural expectations determine what we experience when we encounter them (this isn't new: as I recall, Jacques Valee suggested UFO encounters had something objective behind them but what was experienced was filtered through the culture of the observer).

My personal belief: there's something real going on behind these hauntings (and despite my frequent skeptical stance in this forum, I've lived in two very "haunted" houses over the years: cold spots, shadow figures, loud noises and unexplained voices, sparkling lights, the works), but it's not the disembodied presence of the dead. And what the observer perceives in these phenomena depends on his/her expectations, so there are both subjective and objective facets to the experience. As I said in my earlier reply in this thread, "... The other possibility is that the hallucinogenic effects of mold in old buildings might act as a catalyst for the experience one has in a haunted location. In some aboriginal cultures, for example, hallucinogens are considered a gateway to the other side..."

Unfortunately, this is only my personal belief and none of this is testable, because these phenomena don't perform on demand and it's difficult to imagine how you might even begin to formulate testable hypotheses for these experiences or the existence of parallel plane(s) of existence. Which is why I think you don't run into many parapsychologists doing research these days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention tulpas, another belief system surrounding the origin of various paranormal creatures & ghosts:

http://www.isnare.com/?aid=203145&ca=Religion
For arguments sake, Lets say studies prove toxic molds a proven hallucingen. Where's the connection to an actual haunting in altered states of mind? What did I miss?

Last edited by virgode; 04-20-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 PM

This is the equialent to the two wack jobs sending electrical currents into fish tank to trap spirits in
mason jars... is it any wonder folks think paranormals for cuckoos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal