Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

Curious about any strange coincidences that have happened to people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Lot's. Some fun some creepy. One of the funnest (to me) happened last year. I work at a small business as a CSR and an elderly gentlemen in his 80's came by. He bought something and handed me his CC and when I saw his last name (kind of unusual) I casually mentioned that my kindergarten teacher had the same last name. He looked shocked and asked me what town I grew up in and it turned it was his mother (I live a few towns over now). She herself was really old when I was in her class and had actually passed away during the school year. That was 50 years ago, for the record. Nothing paranormal, just an odd thing IMO.

I also saw my first car in the parking lot of a medial building a few years back. A Toyota I bought in 1980 when I was 21 and had for 7 years. Recognized the license number.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
In high school, November 1963, it was lunchtime and there was a freezing rain falling. I had a feeling there was something very wrong, that there was some message for me in the rain. About half a hour later there was an announcement on the PA system telling us that the president had just been shot.

The night my father died (1972) my college girlfriend and I had just returned to our home a couple of days before from our Christmas visit to my family; there was freezing rain that night and I commented to her that it was almost as if the rain was trying to tell me something. In the middle of the night, the phone rang and I would not answer it; my girlfriend told me my father had suddenly died. My brother was driving back to his home out west; he saw a mourning dove by the side of the road, had a "funny feeling" and found a phone booth. That's how he found out about our father's death.

After my father's funeral my siblings and our mother went to a local Chinese restaurant. After the meal, my mother was opening her fortune cookie and when she read the fortune, she turned white as a sheet, said "Oh my God!" and handed me the slip of paper. It read: "Do not despair, he is well".

In the early 90s, I was taking seminary classes, but had gone through a lot of changes that ultimately led to a radical change in denominations. I was sitting in a local restaurant (the only time I'd been there) eating lunch and pondering what it all meant, whether I had been fooling myself that God had led me to seminary. A woman walked up and sat down across from me, looking at me with an odd, expectant look on her face. I asked her if I could help her, and she said she was the manager of the restaurant, and started speaking to me about her life journey, and how she had felt that God had led her to where she was at today. She talked about callings, and felt that managing that restaurant was where she was supposed to be, and how we all needed to trust in Divine Providence. Now, this was without any conversation about what I was thinking about, or the struggles I was going through. It's almost as if she were saying, "stay the course, it isn't making sense now but it will some day". She walked away from the table, and I never saw her again.

In the late '90s, I flew into Maine and did a road trip through the Maritime Provinces, something I'd wanted to do for twenty years or more. When I visited Halifax NS, I fell in love with it and ended up staying there several days longer than originally planned. I was walking in downtown Halifax, turned a corner, and lo and behold ran into a coworker. Neither of us knew the other was going there, and as far as I know Halifax wasn't exactly the most common vacation destination.

A couple of years after that, my sister was dying in another state, and my siblings and I were there with her. Close to the end, my brother decided he had to leave to get back to work, and his wife started crying saying we had all promised we'd stay with her till the end. They started leaving, and as they got to the end of the hall, an alarm went off because a vending machine on the floor had caught fire; they locked the doors and my brother and his family had to return. Our sister died a few minutes later.

Last edited by Vasily; 04-13-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Crazy good stories Vasily! Other stories interesting and fun as well.

I have so many coincidences in life, don't know where to start and so many have been forgotten.

A 'big' one was when I was living in OR. And travelled back to California with a friend. On the way back to OR, we took 101. I had never been on 101 past Santa Rosa at that time, so the scenery was new to me. I grew up in the Bay Area and longed to be more in the mountains, so the drive was a sponge moment as I soaked up everything. At one point, there was construction happening and traffic was stopped. This was at a place called 'confusion hill'. As we sat there I was looking at the surrounding trees, meadows and mountains. Clear line of sight, I was imagining living on 'that' mountain, a house peeking out from the treeline at the top of a long meadow. This happened in August.
Over Thanksgiving week, we were moving back to California and were to stay with family until we figured out our next 'adventure'. Visiting my parents for the holidays, crossing the street, my cat bolted from the car to the house and a man stopped. He saw the old Farmall Cub tractor we had just bought and asked us what we were doing....we shared with him that we were in limbo. He informed us that he had 80 acres that was just sitting and wanted someone to do something with it. Bingo! Now we had our plan. We landed there in January.
Several weeks later I went to the little camp ground store across from confusion hill. As I was driving back, I looked to see if I could see 'us' up there on the mountain, because I could see down to the highway.
It was at that moment that I realized that the meadow I was daydreaming about in August was THE meadow where we now lived.

After removing myself from a bad relationship (many years later and different person than in the event above) and getting settled into a new home with a roommate. We were talking and I have no idea why I said it, totally out of the blue except for the fact we were talking about our ex's, I blurted out, the next guy I am with won't be able to have kids....sure enough, the next guy I was with had a vasectomy.

Not sure how well it qualifies as a coincidence, but my husbands birthday is Christmas Eve, the 24th. My due date was supposed to be the 25th, however, I did not arrive until New Years Eve, the 31st. So we are the two December holiday Eve babies (and yes it sucks! No one is ever available for a birthday party...lol)

Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
This is an awful but true story:

When I was 11 years old, I was over my friends house. Her sister's friend was over there too. Her name was Annette. They called Annette a "Jinx" I didn't give that much thought and was not sure that a Jinx even existed.... They kept calling her that through-out the year I knew her.

One day, Annette's dad came home, shot his wife, then walked through the house, shooting everyone in the house and killing the kids and himself. I think the total count was 5 people shot. Himself, wife and 3 kids. One of the daughters, the sister of Annette, survived by running and her dad shot her in the shoulder but she lived. ...

After that, I wondered could it be true or was it a weird coincidence that he killed his family?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:34 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
A few minor ones, but one big one...I was on the subway here in NYC several years ago with a friend, coming in from Brooklyn into Manhattan to go see a movie. We somehow got into a discussion about people we'd met in life who'd left a major impact on us but through whatever circumstances we'd never see that person again. I mentioned someone and she told a touching story about a girl she'd befriended while attending college in North Carolina, and how much she missed the girl and would love to someday see her again.

As the train pulled into Times Square, the doors opened to a platform full of people ready to board--but my friend and the girl standing directly in front of her began to scream and jump up and down and embrace one another...you can see where I'm going with this.

I love the concept of 'synchronicity', and it happens every so often to me, but nothing as astounding as that particular time.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
The strangest thing i've experienced was many years ago i was just driving around town running errands or something and i saw 2 people that looked like 2 people i hadn't seen in many years, these people weren't friends but there was a stretch where i knew them both thru a business venture we were both involved in. So, i see these people and i think they're the original people that i knew, but closer inspection they were not.

About an hour later i'm sitting at a red light and the people who i thought i saw roll up alongside me. It was summer so we all had our windows down and we look at each other and say hello. That was the wildest thing ever, people i hadn't seen in years come into my head and then i see them about an hour later.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The strangest thing i've experienced was many years ago i was just driving around town running errands or something and i saw 2 people that looked like 2 people i hadn't seen in many years, these people weren't friends but there was a stretch where i knew them both thru a business venture we were both involved in. So, i see these people and i think they're the original people that i knew, but closer inspection they were not.

About an hour later i'm sitting at a red light and the people who i thought i saw roll up alongside me. It was summer so we all had our windows down and we look at each other and say hello. That was the wildest thing ever, people i hadn't seen in years come into my head and then i see them about an hour later.
This happens to quite a few of us, it would seem, as weird as it is--you find yourself randomly thinking of someone and then they call or pop up. Your situation was quite extraordinary, though.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
This happens to quite a few of us, it would seem, as weird as it is--you find yourself randomly thinking of someone and then they call or pop up. Your situation was quite extraordinary, though.
I felt it was extra weird because of the length of time i hadn't seen these two people combined with the length of time i hadnt even thought about them.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Wow, thanks for sharing everyone. I've had a few coincidences with people I have been randomly thinking about out of the blue after not having contact with them for a year or more, and that day they out of the blue call or text me.

I have also had many times where I have been in a very random very out of the way place where someone is talking about how they have been to such and such very random place out of the way place 1000 of miles away that are not well known tourist spots. Strange.

About a month ago I arrived at an event early. The only other two cars in the parking lot were my neighbor who drives a jeep liberty which I've never met before but recognized his vehicle and parked right next to a jeep patriot, the exact same model as my car also a jeep patriot. I looked at my wife and told her how funny it would be if when we returned there was yet another jeep patriot parked next to us. I no sooner said that and the 4th car arrived to the event, a jeep patriot and parked right next to us.

I have been in Prescott AZ with Alaska license plates and have been third in line at a stop light with both cars in front of me also having Alaska license plate 3000+ miles away from "home". Alaska isn't exactly a common license plate.

I have ran into a guy that also had Alaska plates down a VERY remote dirt forest service road in Arizona where it was common not to see another car for days at a time. Stopped to say hello and He happened to live in the same town of less than 10k people that I lived in, although we never met before.

I have many experiences with 1111. The time will be 11:11 as I am hitting 1111 miles on my trip meter, while my CD player is on song 11. I will receive important and strange phone calls exactly at 11:11. I won't check the time for hours on end and have a weird feeling where I need to check the time and sure enough it's exactly 11:11. I'll check into room 111 at a hotel and my total will be $111. This 1111 coincidence happens to me in the strangest ways so frequently it's hard to explain.

Keep all the coincidence stories coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal